Are such policies the norm in other areas?

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Are such policies the norm in other areas?

Postby AriesGodofWar » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:47 pm

http://jeffcountyjournal.stltoday.com/articles/2008/02/21/news/sj2tn20080219-0220jef-photos0.ii1.txt

Are these policies in effect anywhere else? Seems a bit fishy to me...... I was wondering if it was just my shelter, or if these are typical?

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:57 am

They actually don't seem fishy at all to me. Allowing someone strange to come in and handle animals who they know may have little to no experience handling dogs is risky. They may not have staff enough to baby sit the photographer to make sure he/she doesn't do something stupid and get bit or allow two dogs to get into a fight. Both situations could cause a lawsuit to the county.

A shelter is not a happy place. It is a place filled with stress, animals under stress, the smell of death and uncertainty. Dogs are not always on their best behavior and can respond to many things in their environment. Most shelters won't allow a stranger to come in and take photos.

Plus there is the added concern that it is someone who would take photos of other things and try to create an expose on poor shelter conditions.

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:16 am

Amy Hendrickson wrote:They actually don't seem fishy at all to me. Allowing someone strange to come in and handle animals who they know may have little to no experience handling dogs is risky. They may not have staff enough to baby sit the photographer to make sure he/she doesn't do something stupid and get bit or allow two dogs to get into a fight. Both situations could cause a lawsuit to the county.

A shelter is not a happy place. It is a place filled with stress, animals under stress, the smell of death and uncertainty. Dogs are not always on their best behavior and can respond to many things in their environment. Most shelters won't allow a stranger to come in and take photos.

Really?? That is interesting as I have spoken with many lawyers and according to them, such a policy violates established case law. This is a public facility and the 1st amendment, in regards to freedom of the press, has been held to mean that anyone can photograph from anywhere they can stand legally on public property, as long as it does not cause a security concern (ie military installation)

Amy Hendrickson wrote:Plus there is the added concern that it is someone who would take photos of other things and try to create an expose on poor shelter conditions.

Also, if the conditions of the shelter are poor, isn't that something that should be documented and reported to the USDA?

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:10 pm

Kill shelters may be concerned about their reputation regardless of how the dogs are kept. Shelters aren't ideal environments.

As far as freedom of the press.....how does that account for keeping dogs and people safe? If I were running a shelter, no way in hell would I let some stranger come in and start photographing dogs. What if they got bit? Are they going to sue? Are they too stupid to handle the dogs? They'd require a baby sitter.

From what the article said, the photographer didn't want to take pictures of dogs behind cages. They wanted better pictures of the dogs outside of cages, and have a professional photographer do it - that's a liability issue.

mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypuppyJack » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:36 am

I can see why they limit access- too much liability and so many operate on shoe-string budgets that getting sued could shut them down

I know the no-kill shelter where I adopted Jack doesnt allow anyone in the kennel area at all- if the dogs are in the outside runs you can view them from behind a fence- but only shelter staff are allowed inside- the reason they give is because it stresses out the dogs too much

If you find a dog you are interested in from petfinder or their website then you can fill out an app- online or during certain hours- only then can you interact with a dog in a separate area

I have been in back because I fostered some litters of kittens for them and the animals are well treated with lots of toys and comfy blankets- but it would make me wonder what it was like "back there" if I hadn't seen it and of course you can't just walk up and down the rows of kennels and see which dog appeals to you which some families like to do

Ellena
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ellena » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:29 pm

At the shelter I work at we are both the HS as well as AC.

The public is NOT welcome in the stray hold area, whether any of the dogs back there are adoptable or not. They can go in West Wing, where the dogs who have passed their behavioral exam are waiting for adoption, but staff and AC only are allowed in East Wing.

We have it that way for of course, liability, not to mention that most of the animals there are STRAYS and since we do not legally own them, they cannot be shown or photographed. We do a service for the public to hold strays and allow them to be reclaimed. If you were missing a dog wouldnt you be a little pissed to see it in the paper possibly listed as "adoptable" when really you just hadnt gone to the shelter yet to claim it?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:56 pm

The public is NOT welcome in the stray hold area

How do people reunite with their dog if they cannot go back and look???

Also - once the three day hold time is up, they belong to the shelter and are then adoptable, at least in WA state and most cities I know of.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”