Adoptions in CT

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Adoptions in CT

Postby Chester » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:52 am

http://www.connecticutshelters.org/dogs.html

This is a link of adoptable dogs in Bridgeport CT. They do not have a shelter per say, I guess the dogs are in foster care. I do not know how current the page is either but I have emailed (called with no answer) to see about saving one of the females so that Chester can have a buddy during the day. We will also be checking out the Westport shelter, the girl that we got Chester from in Milford now works there and she said that they have a cute female pit for adoption. We are very excited.
Chester

Postby murried2 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:16 pm

There are some beautiful pibbles there. I'm in love with Sugar. Good luck on getting another dog. I bet Chester will enjoy having a playmate.
murried2
Matured Bully

Postby Maryellen » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:34 pm

CT does have shelters, some of them really really bad. sugar sounds like a wonder dog who does everything. what do you mean by saving a female so chester has a buddy ? most places wont 'save' a dog persay, you would have to apply to adopt her. good luck in adopting, and thank you for considering a shelter/rescue dog.
Maryellen

Postby Chester » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:57 pm

It was just the way I worded it. We are definately going to save/rescue/adopt a dog from somewhere in CT.
Chester wasnt neutered until we adopted him, he was about 1.5 years old so he is pretty set in his dominant ways. From what people have told me and from what I have read a female would get along better with mine.
Chester

Postby Maryellen » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:08 pm

if you go thru a rescue they will only allow a female as you have a male. opposite sex adoptions are mandatory basically., no same sex adoptions.
you should make sure once you are approved you bring chester to meet potential suitors, to make sure they get along. be prepared totake a couple of hours for each dog you meet.
Maryellen

Postby Chester » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:33 pm

Absolutely, I wouldn't have it any other way. He has to be happy with the new dog just as much as we do.
Chester

Postby pibblegrl » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:49 pm

The Bridgeport shelter is overcrowded with pibbles and it is a horrid shack...The shelter in New Haven has a couple of idiots working there who show people the wrong way to train the dog (ya know- the way that makes them scared and maybe a biter) everytime I go in there I want to deck one of them by the time I am leaving. Both shelters are usually over-run with pits.
Milford, where I live, has a small shelter.....complete with a goat and a rooster I think...I haven't been there in a while sometimes they have pits but not very often...last time I read that they had one I went in and looked at him...he was a huge (and sweet) AB....
Good luck...
pibblegrl

Postby turtle » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:44 am

If you are in CT, this shelter is right across the border near Springfield MA:

http://www.tjoconnor.net/tjoconnor.htm

Take a look at some of the cuties pictured on their site.

They get some really nice pit bulls of all types and ages. I got my dog there 2 1/2 years ago and she's turned into a great pet. New England is not that big so don't limit your search to just one area.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby bigstick » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:51 pm

If you are intrested in a rescue you might want to talk to Eric at www.spbr.org He is located in Stanford, CT.

Good luck!

Glenn
bigstick

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs