pitbulls on CraigsList

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

pitbulls on CraigsList

Postby aaron kahn » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:57 pm

after seeing the third listing for litters in the last couple weeks- I posted this- feel free to copy/paste/alter/etc. I just wanted to post the option. I think that I'll put it up every time I see a litter posted. If you do use it- change the rescue group to one near you!

If you are thinking of getting a pitbull, please be aware that there are hundreds of wonderful pits that need homes! There are puppies, as well as adults, available. One benefit of adopting an older dog (over a year) is that you have a better idea of what the dogs temperment will be. (You *may* also avoid some expensive health issues- many breeders DON'T health test dogs before breeding them. Ask them!)

check: www.pitbullproject.org
and: www.petfinder.com (put in your zip code and "pit")

You will find hundreds of great dogs that need homes- many of these dogs will be killed if they don't get placed. Buying puppies only increases this problem. The more pitbulls that are bred, the more pitbulls that are killed in shelters.

Feel free to email me for more info.
aaron kahn
Bully Ambassador

Postby violet » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:58 pm

:headbang: :thumbsup:
violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby Boo439 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:36 am

That's a great idea!! One time I was browsing the free/giveaway section of the paper and there was an ad that said to be careful of who you give your animal to. It said some people act like good adoptive parents, but actually sell your pet to labratories or use them as bait animals.
Boo439

Postby Maryellen » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:48 pm

those are class b dog dealers. they steal/buy/get for free dogs and cats and then sell them to laboratories who experiment on the animals. alot of times when there is a rash of pet thefts in your area it means a class b dealer is around too. thats why they say to never put free in the paper, and to screen the potential person before you give away or sell your dog to someone.

that is an excellent post BTW!!!!
Maryellen

Postby BabyReba » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:55 pm

yes, it is a good post, and anyone in rescue should take advantage of craigslist to post rescue-oriented stuff as long as there are "free to good home ads" and breeder ads on there.

i've posted for foster homes a few times, and i've had one foster home come out of it--not as many as i'd hoped, but ONE was way better than none, and she was a GREAT foster!
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby caped dog » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:22 am

Aaron- that is a good letter. sensible. I like it. Are you also "flagging" those as prohibited. do you remeber this CL thread? http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6599 Yes CL is a great place to post info and try and scrounge up foster homes. who can argue with free advertising for rescues either? But free pets to "good home" has GOT to go- I have nearly crushed my own brains banging my head against that wall with Craig. Check out PBRC's stance on free pit bulls - of course their server is down - found this link http://www.pbrc.net/freepit.html may take a day or more till it is back up. Just seemed like the right time to tell you it was there, and that I wrote it. :tongue: You can get there from the homepage by clicking on "thinking of re-homing your pit". Keep flagging, posting and communicating- good reminder for me also. M
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby aaron kahn » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:07 pm

The three that have bothered me lately were all puppies for sale- but I did pay to spay a "free pibull" a couple months ago- I posted her here. I don't think she did find a home.

I've been meaning to sit down and write an "interested in pitbulls" post, that would cover: if you are looking for a pitbull, if you are selling a pitbull, and if you're thinking of breeding a pitbull. I haven't gotten to this yet, but it occured to me that this could get pulled, because it is purely informational.

I figure I'll keep putting up the one I posted here every time I see a pitbull for sale- can't hurt!
aaron kahn
Bully Ambassador

Postby aaron kahn » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:32 am

I received a couple of supportive emails in the last few days, though even most of these were pretty ignorant...then tonight I got this FROM THE BREEDER of the last litter of puppies to be posted in Seattle/Tacoma:

Hello,
Your e-mail caught my eye and I just wanted to say thank you for the
addresss. we have 3 pits and we bought our 1st one and we bred her and
kept 1 of her puppies.We wouldn't trade them for a million $. We raised
them from 6 weeks and the babie from birth.Then we got another one given to us who was basically a throw away and she had puppies and we are selling them. I agree to some extent that they're are alot of animals
that are homeless and it breaks my heart .I have to say that with
experience of raising puppies and kids I would rather have them from
babies up then to try and raise them when they are teenagers.....if you
have kids you know what I mean. I believe the bond from when they are
young is strong....if they are not abused! My experience with dogs has
been true to that too. I love all 3 of my dogs..And yes we had our 1st
dog spayed after her 1 litter and will with our last girl too. I am sure
thankful nobody had me fixed before I had my 1st born.I pray for the day
that no animal has to go through abuse or neglect,gina

PRETTY GREAT, EH???

This was my reply:

Good luck on finding good homes for your puppies- please do us all a favor and have them all fixed prior to sending them out into the world. Also- please send them to responsible homes. Irresponsible owners are the reason why cities and towns all over the country are BANNING pitbulls! In Western Washington, both Auburn and Everett BAN the ownership of pitbulls- why is this??? Bad owners!!!

If you need to learn more about the national tragedy that is pitbull breeding in the US, try badrap.org, or workingpitbull.org.

PLEASE, do not breed any more pitbull puppies! There are THOUSANDS of pits that are killed EVERY week (in shelters) in the USA- most dogs that wind up in shelters came from "breeders"... The people who buy your dogs are statistically likely to send them to the pound before the dogs are two years old. Do you do any home checks before sending pups away? Do you offer to take dogs back if they don't work out?

Here is Seattle, Pitbull Project has over 50 wonderful pitbulls that need homes- this rescue is bursting at the seams with dogs. Consider making a $100 donation to this group for every puppy that you sell- 1/2 of your litter will wind up dead or in a shelter before they turn two.

Then I checked CraigsList- sure enough, she had re-listed her puppies! They are now "reduced" to $300.

I re-posted my post, with the addition of "ask any breeder: why these two dogs were bred"

Oh well...
aaron kahn
Bully Ambassador

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs