1st time foster parent... maybe

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
zifosgirl
Newborn Bully

1st time foster parent... maybe

Postby zifosgirl » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:29 pm

My background info... I own a 1 1/2 year old mini schnauzer and a 4 month old pit bull puppy. Those are MY dogs. I am moving back home with my family, who consist of my grandfather and aunt, whom own a 4 year old mini pinscher and couple cats. House has a huge backyard.

NOW the story,

My dad called today asking if i knew anyone who would want a 4 month female pitbull mix. She is his neighbor's puppy, but she keeps escaping their yard and goes into my dad's shed. He says they keep giving the puppy back, but she keeps coming back. So he calls her Houdini.

He said one night he actually had to jump the fence to rescue her because they tied a heavy knotted rope on her and left her outside in the cold. Plus she was crying all night and he had to work in the morning. He also said when he returns her to the teens, she is not happy to see them, he says she has that "just shoot me" look on her face. He also noted to me when he walks into the backyard when she's there, she'll run into the corner of the fence and just stay there.

First thought.... they beat her :crybaby: ... next thought... I must save her. My dad already has enough dogs, and says they can't have another one. So he is considering the ASPCA, but I'm afraid she is too skidish for them, because he said she is very very skidish. So I am considering fostering her until she is well enough to be adopted. I would love to keep her but I have enough dogs to handle and I don't think my grandfather would take another dog. He MIGHT but if not I want her to be adopted to a loving family. I know this poor thing needs rescuing, but I'm not sure if I can handle an abused dog. She is just a puppy, so is there hope??? and if so any advice to a 1st time foster parent? I need feedback on this one. Thanks

I will post pics as soon as I can get them from my father. Also I have always wanted to be a foster, but then I ended up with 2 dogs. lol

Victoria
Matured Bully

Postby Victoria » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:00 pm

Well my opinion is that if you take her in at all, she needs to be signed over to you by her current owners. If you cannot go that route, and you and your Father feel the dog is being abused, animal control needs to be contacted (give them your info and tell them if the dog is surrendered, you are willing to take on the responisbility).

If you do taker her in, I would then suggest you contact a rescue near you and explain the story. With any luck, you will find one who can evaluate the puppy and offer you advice on how to help her - and hopefully help you with finding low cost spay, shots, and list her for adoption as a courtesy. If you do foster her, and she turns out NOT to be temperamentally sound, what will you do?

cecollins
Forum Junky

Postby cecollins » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:17 am

Good luck in what ever you decide. She sound like she needs someone like you to help her!!!

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”