What to expect when an adopted dog comes home

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Postby Ursus » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:16 pm

Yup, helps a lot :thumbsup:
Thanks
:))
Ursus

Postby turtle » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:39 pm

This is a good and useful thread. Maybe it could be a sticky in the Rescue section?

PBF is such an active forum that threads like this can get buried very quickly and the info is timeless. So many are adopting new dogs and pups that it would be good to have it easily available.

Basically you don't want to give a new dog a lot of freedom and privileges right at first. Take your time, get to know each other, use the NILF to set some guidelines and enjoy your new dog.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:43 pm

Oh and whatever you do.. if you have another dog. Keep them seperated until the dog knows where it stands.
I dont know if you already have a dog??

I made this almost fatal mistake for my dogs and learned a heavy lesson from it.

A new dog doesnt know where it stands in the pack of your home.
To walk into a home and be confronted with another dog it may (not all dogs will..some are very submissive..) feel instantly on guard. For here it is.. in a new pack, it doesnt trust you enough to know that you will defend him or really keep him safe.
Are you truly the alpha of your home? Do your other dogs know that you are? Or are the dogs going to size each other up. And wait.

Most dog confrontations are not on day one, two or three for that matter.. usually it is at about the two week mark. One of the dogs will posture or bully the other dog. And the other may say.. no I dont think so.
There is the start of a huge common mistake with dog owners.
The dogs may look like they are "playing" , one jumping on the other, etc.
Do not let this happen, They are not playing as much as they are seeing who is king of the hill.

You will want to avoid any competition, this includes feeding together, playing with a toy together etc. At least for the first few weeks.
(actually I reccomend never feeding dogs together.. throw a huge steak into a pack of dogs and tell them to behave.. yea..right! L O L. They are what they are ...DOGS)

You must establish yourself as top dog first and formost. Dog packs dont let in newcomers that easily, wild or our domestic.

Many times it works.. but read posts from multiple dog homes of any breed.. usually sooner or later, something got into a scuffle when left to run and romp and "work it out" on their own.

The dog at first wont think you have the "right" to reprimand him or challenge him. This is why it is so important to take things slowly..and with food (food is the most natural and basic thing to a dog) , let the dog know you are there for it and you are also the caretaker. You will become a leader to the dog!

Once you establish who you are.. and you hopefully already have with your other dog then you can introduce , slowly and playing no favorites.

As I said, I dont know if you already have a dog. But just in case.
I ended up in a mess....oh my did I. It turned out ok and it taught me alot about myself and dog behaviour. And how easy it is to rationalize dogs by my own human behaviour and not by the pack instinct of a predator animal. That really wants and needs to be a part of a pack. And you and your family and pets are that pack! This is what you can tap into by going slowly, the dog will WANT to please you and work for his or her alpha leader.
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Adoption

Postby Contessa63 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:57 am

I adopted my Pit, Vanyawhen she was three months old. She came from our local shelter. I have also had the best of luck with adult adoptions as well. Congratulations on your new adoption!
Vanya's Mom
Contessa63
Contessa63
Bully Ambassador

Postby lovemylucy » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:28 pm

how do you introduce a new dog slowly to the "house" dogs? and does it make a difference if the new dog is a puppy..........what i mean...... is a puppy coming in to a new home less likely to be a problem than an older dog? i am considering a stray 3 month old that is at the SPCA right now (if he is not claimed by wednesday)
lovemylucy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby koryn21 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:45 pm

I have two questions.
Question #1- On another thread I read here it said that when a new dog comes into the house that when both dogs are crated, the new dog should be in a completely different area so it can become comfortable being on its own, with out the other dog. Now if my current dog sleeps up in the bed with me and I plan on allowing the new dog to do the same and it mentioned in this thread that the crate can be put in the room where it will eventually sleep to get it comfortable. Am I better to start out and crate the new dog in a seperate room and not in my room where it will eventually sleep?

Question #2- When it comes to leashing the new dog, what do I do w/ my other dog? Leave him out to do as he usually does or when I'm leashing the new dog should my resident dog be put in his crate?
koryn21
Newborn Bully

Postby jmanglona » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:53 pm

luvnstuff wrote:Congrats Ursus on your adoptive dog!! And ten paws up for adotping!! WhooHoo..
What to expect.

Expect the dog possibly to refuse food or eat very little for a few days, even up to a week to two weeks.
Expect diahrea and shyness.
Dont expect its true personality to shine for at least three weeks.
Dont bring it to many new places people or things at first.

For the first two weeks, work on just you and him/her. One on one. This helps establish that you are "the saviour" so to speak, you are the one that he can TRUST. This is the building time. Just you and him. If the dog is shy or nervous offer food by hand piece by piece at first. This builds , like a momma dog calm trust and of course yummy food. Use the kibble or even yummy treats. Let the dog know you are the one baby!
Think of your dog as a new puppy who has to again relearn all about life.

Once this time has passed (it doesnt have to be two weeks,..but when you see the dog begin to calm and trust.. maybe one week for confidnent dogs, even longer for very shy or nervous dogs)..then start to introduce other people in your household. one at a time. with food / treats.

Everyone must build this dogs trust..and too the dog will understand where it fits in the "pack"

Easy does it is the way. This helps alot to adjust and build trust. Dont bring your dog to parks, friends homes, etc etc etc.. as tempting as it all is to show up your new baby. Slow er down. And take it easy.
You dont want problems to creep up a month down the road when the dog becomes relaxed and confindent.

Work slowly on the leash, in the beggining time, as I said, just you and him/her in the back yard. no one else.
Then as you get along in time. move to the driveway.. then the front yard.. as you see the dog become more and more relaxed that is the time to move to a new scenerio..

is this making sense?

New dogs are exciting and fun.. dont forget as you work to enjoy each moment and think of her or him as your new baby, that you are now responsible for teaching the big world to!
hi my name is tati. not joey. i do have a pit-bull who use to think my dachshund was a toy but now he doesn't. i have a problem with my dachshund. she has anger isues. i am six years old. when i get older i am going to a my own dachshund when my first one dies. my pit-bull is named kaiser and he prebred and he is tan color and he is smart he knows sit, up, shank, i mean like give you your paw and you know. then i have a long haired dachshund her name is ziggy. she is 9. my mom and dad have had her for a long time. since they were in guam. my e-mail address is tatiannamanglona@msn.com
from,
tati
please send news soon.
jmanglona
Newborn Bully

Postby jmanglona » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:48 am

luvnstuff wrote:Congrats Ursus on your adoptive dog!! And ten paws up for adotping!! WhooHoo..
What to expect.

Expect the dog possibly to refuse food or eat very little for a few days, even up to a week to two weeks.
Expect diahrea and shyness.
Dont expect its true personality to shine for at least three weeks.
Dont bring it to many new places people or things at first.

For the first two weeks, work on just you and him/her. One on one. This helps establish that you are "the saviour" so to speak, you are the one that he can TRUST. This is the building time. Just you and him. If the dog is shy or nervous offer food by hand piece by piece at first. This builds , like a momma dog calm trust and of course yummy food. Use the kibble or even yummy treats. Let the dog know you are the one baby!
Think of your dog as a new puppy who has to again relearn all about life.

Once this time has passed (it doesnt have to be two weeks,..but when you see the dog begin to calm and trust.. maybe one week for confidnent dogs, even longer for very shy or nervous dogs)..then start to introduce other people in your household. one at a time. with food / treats.

Everyone must build this dogs trust..and too the dog will understand where it fits in the "pack"

Easy does it is the way. This helps alot to adjust and build trust. Dont bring your dog to parks, friends homes, etc etc etc.. as tempting as it all is to show up your new baby. Slow er down. And take it easy.
You dont want problems to creep up a month down the road when the dog becomes relaxed and confindent.

Work slowly on the leash, in the beggining time, as I said, just you and him/her in the back yard. no one else.
Then as you get along in time. move to the driveway.. then the front yard.. as you see the dog become more and more relaxed that is the time to move to a new scenerio..

is this making sense?

New dogs are exciting and fun.. dont forget as you work to enjoy each moment and think of her or him as your new baby, that you are now responsible for teaching the big world to!
hi there, i need clues of how will my new dachshund act when she or he gets home. will he chew on everything or will he sniff around. i have had my dachshund for the longest time. i have a pit-bull too. he is prebred and my dachshund is a mix. i am tati. maybe you herad a other person who's name is the same. but i am the older sister. a am 27 years old. i want to know sould i baby my dachshund or make him be trainable. i mean like push her in a stroller or make her walk. ok i was lieing about me being 27 i am only 6. and i have lupus it is a bone porblem.
from,
tati
jmanglona
Newborn Bully

Postby The Teflon Don » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:51 am

Quick Question:

I recently adopted a 5 year old male and currently HAVE a five year old male (whom I have had since he was 4 mos. old).

I read in here that:
"Most dog confrontations are not on day one, two or three for that matter.. usually it is at about the two week mark. One of the dogs will posture or bully the other dog. And the other may say.. no I dont think so."

My question is what to do if this DOES happen? I am interested in hearing about what to do in both the short and the long term....

Thanks guys!
The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:01 pm

teflon, if this happens have a break stick ready and separate the dogs before they get into it.. with new dogs they should really not interact with the resident dogs for at least 2 weeks, so that they can learn the house rules and bond with the owners.. also no furniture or bed privileges either, the new dog must EARN everything he wants, including food.... there is a sticky in health for NILIF... it means the dog works for everything it wants... you have to have order and balance first, then after 2 weeks the new dog can start meeting the resident dogs one on one... the honeymoon period is when the dog is on its best behavior, and the more comfortable it feels the more it will show its true behaviors...
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:05 pm

also, watch their body language.. that is a telltale sign that something is not right...
with 2 of my dogs they can only play for 20 minutes max, anything longer and it can escalate into a fight.. so i have to time them when they play wrestle to make sure it doesnt get out of hand...
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Re: What to expect when an adopted dog comes home

Postby brunomom » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:24 pm

fabulous....as I read this thread I am breaking the couch/bed rule. *sigh* Am I going to ruin everything he has learned the past week with us if I refuse him the couch now?
brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs