My 1st rescue............kinda graphic but i've seen worse!

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
bonezmama
Adolescent Bully

My 1st rescue............kinda graphic but i've seen worse!

Postby bonezmama » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:30 am

Here are a few pictures of my 1st rescue/ attempt. Some of you may remember my post from a couple of months ago about getting started.
Well, this baby needed me for sure. He belongs to the VP of my local club who shows dogs in the AADR & ADBA. He's getting ready to go overseas, so he sent him to a friend who was supposed to take care of him for the 6 months. Of course you'll soon see that his idea of taking care of this pup is worthless. We were going to pick him up for a show that we're doing next weekend, and this is what we found.............by the way he looked nothing like this when the guy got him. i live halfway between the 2 guys and i've seen/dealt with Hurricane on several occasions before this......
ImageImage

This baby has been either starved or just on food that wasn't doing him any justice. I lean heavily toward starved because he wolfs his food down like there's no tomorrow. I have him on canidae, and he's eating almost 6 cups a day, and still wanting more. He has a tail that will not stop bleeding at the tip. The vet said he's healthy otherwise, no worms, & such. He walks great on a leash, and doesn't jump on people big or small. He's not up for adoption or anything like that. My goal is to get some weight on him, and do right by him. He's in his own room so far. I've only had him for 3 days, and i'm using the 2 week shut down......
any suggestions for getting weight on him other than upping his food intake?

mom2bennientiny
Super Bully

Postby mom2bennientiny » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:17 am

Tail looks like "happy tail" to me. Pretty difficult to get that to heal up and also no easy task to keep it bandaged either. When Tiny had it, I used an empty toilet paper roll, then wrapped an ace bandage around that. If you just do a bandage by itself, they tend to slide off. Took a while, but it did heal up. Poor baby! Glad he is safe with you now.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:19 am

Someone suggested Nustock in another post, to heal Happy Tail.

HAPBTR
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby HAPBTR » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:51 am

:frown: God he looks like our Sunday.. Good luck, A good Daily Vitamine seems to help with weight gain as well.

bonezmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby bonezmama » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:21 pm

thank you all for the advice. i really appreciate the help. I've heard of happy tail, but never saw it with my own eyes, so now that i "see" it, i can treat it. Still needing advice on how to get some weight on him. i know he hasn't been on the canidae long enough to see if it's helping, but do you guys think i should add something to it just in case?

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:55 pm

Maybe some canned food - start off with small amounts and then work you way up to more.
That is what I did when Jake needed to gain some weight.

POOR PUP!
Thank you for helping out

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:30 pm

akaspaddero wrote:Maybe some canned food - start off with small amounts and then work you way up to more.

POOR PUP!

x2.

6 cups of food a day is way too much to start out with. You can actually kill a starved animal by feeding them too much after eating nothing for so long. Start out by feeding very small meals frequently throughout the day. Half a cup here, half a cup there, and work your way up. When he's ok to eat more, you can make some Satin Balls - I don't know the recipe, but it's good for getting weight on dogs.

bonezmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby bonezmama » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:37 pm

L Boogie wrote:
akaspaddero wrote:Maybe some canned food - start off with small amounts and then work you way up to more.

POOR PUP!

x2.

6 cups of food a day is way too much to start out with. You can actually kill a starved animal by feeding them too much after eating nothing for so long. Start out by feeding very small meals frequently throughout the day. Half a cup here, half a cup there, and work your way up. When he's ok to eat more, you can make some Satin Balls - I don't know the recipe, but it's good for getting weight on dogs.

I'm feeding him every 3 hrs right now bc he can barely hold anything down, and he gets about 3/4 cup each meal. thanks for the suggestions though. My friends and i are actually feeding, and sitting with him around the clock so that we are able to see any changes in his behavior, attitude, health quickly. So far he gets exhuasted just standing up to eat. He refuses to lay down and eat though, so I see he's trying and fighting to live. I will try the wet food as well. He's looking better as the days go by, and again he's been seen by the vet who says aside from the obvious weight issue he's healthy. I'm working very closely with the vet who has suggested a raw diet, but i'm not comfortable with feeding my dogs raw yet, so i wouldn't dare try it with this baby. Again, thank you to everyone who has posted.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:23 pm

bonezmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby bonezmama » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:48 pm

akaspaddero wrote:Satin Balls recipe link

http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

you're a Godsend, thank you sooo much :peace:

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:06 pm

When we were trying to put weight on our foster, it was suggested to us to get some wet/canned PUPPY food (mixed it with the dry kibble). I guess it has more fat in it. We also fed about two raw eggs a week.

Good luck. He looks like a sweet boy. :))

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:07 pm

Best of luck with that poor sweet baby

bonezmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby bonezmama » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:36 am

Here's and update on Hurricane.
He's eating well now, down to just 3 cups a day, and we're still changing his gauze every day. He's filling out quite nicely, and we go back to the vet in a week granted nothing changes and he continues to improve.
This boy is wonderful! I'm going to have a very hard time giving him back to his owner when he comes back, but as of right now i know i can do this.
He knows where he's supposed to use the restroom now, and he is searching for me for food. He hasn't met my resident dogs yet, but he hasn't barked or sniffed at the door when i'm playing with him, so i'm praying for the best. We're almost 1/2 way through with his 2 week shut down, and i think he's doing great.
Again, he's only been dealt the bad life for 3 weeks, so it may not have been long enough to have a severe effect on him. Here are afew pictures of him now so that you guys can see the progress.

HAPBTR
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby HAPBTR » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:41 am

:thumbsup:

Looking much better!!!! Good job and thanks for the update!

bonezmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby bonezmama » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:36 am

Okay- it's been 3 weeks since I took this baby in, and here's a few more pictures of him to show his continued progress. He's actually smiling all the time now, his leash manners are impeccable, he loves a bath, he loves kids,he gets along fabulously with my resident dogs, although I never leave them unattended, and he's still good with cats, although he's only seen them outside of my yard. He goes into his crate on command, has learned sit, stay, down, and heel since he's been with me. He has learned to take treats nicely- front teeth, no lunging or jumping. This boy is a dream to work with, and I'm blessed to be able to get to know him. Thanks to all who have offered advice and support.
ImageHis absolute favorite toy

ImageAllowing my daughter to pet him while he has his prized toy

ImageYou can't see them, but my resident dogs are running around him, and he's oblivious as long as he has his toy

Image That bully smile stretches for miles & look at his tail, it wags non stop!!!

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”