Outstanding Pit Puppy

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Outstanding Pit Puppy

Postby Foster Mom » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:23 pm

:roll: Everyone is going to hate me because I do not have a picture to post. She came into the Humane Society today, maybe 9-10 weeks old, blonde, thin white streak up her nose, whit caps on her front paws, black nose, baggy face. She is a large girl. We have had a blast tonight, she came home with us because the puppy cages were all full but will go back with my daughter Danielle (She started working there full time this week) tomorrow. Tomorrow I will start the first leg of a transport of puppies/dogs going to St Huberts and I think she has been squeezed on to a load going out on Saturday and I do not know the destination but anyone can call my Daughter at www.hsop.org (phone# is on the site). Danielle will take her picture tomorrow and find out the destination. She is an outstanding pitty pup!
Foster Mom

Postby caped dog » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:43 pm

Tomorrow I will start the first leg of a transport of puppies/dogs going to St Huberts and I think she has been squeezed on to a load going out on Saturday and I do not know the destination

she sounds terribly cute! what is St. Huberts? is it common in WV to load puppies into trucks and drive them away? sounds like you need an air traffic controller! lol
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

St Huberts

Postby Foster Mom » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:57 pm

This is what I know. I am usually volunteer at the Humane Society as a dog walker, foster mom, or if they do a large abuse seizure I bath alot of animals. Today was my first transport. The last Director started programs in our local shelter to get cats, kittens, dogs, and puppies a better chance for adoption. There are larger agencies such as St. Huberts, found at www.sthuberts.org, that have more funding and a larger potential adoptive home audience. After todays experience and last nights research ( I had to find out myself about St Huberts) I found out there are many such transport moves from many smaller shelters with less fundings. They do have rules, I did see one pitty mix on St Huberts petfinder list but I was told they do not except pitty dogs or puppies from transport. The transport that Halo (her new name) was going on tomorrow, I had no real information on. There are very Quality people working toward a better solution at our HS but I was not able to let Halo go as an underdog. It was my understanding they had to get them to agree to take a pit puppy. With that being said, guess what? My husband and I adopted Halo tonight upon our return. As soon as I find my digital camera, I am going to get her picture and all of my crew's pictures up. She is outstanding, both in temperment and in looks. I found out that a breeder gave her away because she had accidently gotten bitten by an adult through her hind quarters when she was much smaller. Halo has some scaring on her inner thighs but seems to have no physical complications. My husband is active duty National Guard NCO and is an EOD (bomb guy), he is also Hazmat qualified which qualifies him to be a handler for SAR schools. Our little Halo is going to be a working pitbull and I plan on putting her up on the gallery and keeping everyone up to date. :thumbsup:
H = High
A = Altitude
L = Low
O = Open
Special Forces, I thought up that name for my Army husband. He has given me up for the new girl :roll:
Foster Mom

Postby Maryellen » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:34 pm

Congratulations to you for saving Halo!!!!!! alot of shelters transport dogs to other shelters for many reasons, money being one of them . the shelter getting the dogs gets paid from the shelter getting rid of them. alot of dogs from down south and west get transported to the east coast. the east coast has more dogs in shelters then necessary and the dogs from the south get adopted out quicker as they are pups, while the dogs here in the shelters on the east coast languish and then die most often. i do not promote this kind of shelter to shelter puppy transporting. most of the people in rescue i deal with out here also do not support this at all. alll it does is have our dogs die while the cute puppies from the south come here and get adopted.
sorry for the rant.
Maryellen

It is ok for the rant

Postby Foster Mom » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:47 pm

That is about how I feel about these things also. But, with a little research and my trip, I found out that my cargo consisted of only 5 puppies and 12 eleven months and older up to 3 year olds. The adult dogs on my trip consisted of 2 Lab mixes and several Beagle mixes. Really sweet dogs but just not the most likely to be adopted. I have not joined the board at the Humane Society and I really have no say so but my prayer is that if a few of the 18 get adopted and not put down my twelve hour drive was worth it. I have noticed alot of people involved in rescue on this forum and I do not know how many are with their local humane societies but I know I, after just touching base and helping for a few years, could not do what they do everyday. The last Director happens to be my neighbor, she is a wonderful woman, bless her. She had to resign because she suffers from post traumatic stress due to euthenization of animals during her time at the top. She is thin, depressed, and cries alot. She is the founder of many of the programs the HS runs now. For people who love, it is against their nature to kill. I do not know what is right, I do know I do not believe in no-kill sheltering, I have seen to many animals go cage crazy. So bless everyone that tries to make a difference. :) OH, I did check about the money. All adoptions are free to St Huberts. St Huberts just reimburses the HS for the medical costs, all that were transported were spay/nuetered and up to date on all shots.
Foster Mom

Postby Maryellen » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:06 pm

the money is never talked about nor is it registered. its a secret. the shelters wont admit it. its very hard to pts animals. very hard. you can get stressed out with it.

even if some of the dogs do get adopted, what that means is they just pushed that many of the dogs in our shelters out of the way to be adopted. see, if 2 dogs from down south get adopted up here, that means more dogs up here in the shelters are pts or languish behind the cages longer. its very very sad. you can go to www.rottrescue.org and go to the left side of the page they have a whole article about it.http://www.rottrescue.org/overpop.pdf
Maryellen

Postby Foster Mom » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:34 pm

I will pass the information along. We have a new Director at the HS.
Knowledge is power!

Foster Mom

Postby Maryellen » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:00 pm

your welcome. just be careful, some people dont like to hear new ideas.
Maryellen

Postby Foster Mom » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:16 am

What is he going to do? Fire me? lol
Foster Mom

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs