Hemi's still looking

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Hemi's still looking

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:57 pm

It's hard to imagine our boy is still looking for a home after 18 months. He is housebroken, crate trained, can be left loose in the house at night. Has never shown aggression towards another dog or responded to aggression. He's good with small dogs and puppies and doesn't seem to mind cats. He is very food motivated and his attention can be held for a long time by waving a cookie in front of his face - even keep him from greeting a strange new dog (with him off leash). He may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but he's a sweet goofy boy. He's large at 70 lbs, he's actually 75 but could use a diet.

I moved him to VA yesterday since his NC foster home is going to Alaska. I'm hoping the move will spark some interest in him. I just can't believe we still have this guy!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:51 pm

Aww what a goofy, pretty pup - lipstick and all lol

WGPKlaus
Super Bully

Postby WGPKlaus » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:14 pm

what a good lookig boy, goodluck on finding that big tank a forever home.

chinsNdobermans
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby chinsNdobermans » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Wow, he sounds like the total package.
Hopefully this move can find him a forever home! He looks like fun and he's such a handsome dude!

:inlove:

Sally_Dog77
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sally_Dog77 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:04 pm

That's a gorgeous dog, and he looks so happy :)
I swear, if I had my own house/apartment...

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Postby RescueAPBT » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:25 pm

Awww! He's beautiful! :inlove: I wish Isabeau could have a bully brother! :sad:

The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:27 pm

Man I really wish I had room for all of these wonderful dogs......one day, right? :sad:

HAPBTR
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby HAPBTR » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:24 pm

God he is a handsome man!!!! It's always he beautiful ones that get homes last, I swear...

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun May 11, 2008 12:45 pm

Spent the weekend with Hemi and he's still looking and it's such a damn shame. I wrote him a new bio today. The people who want a low maintenance pit bull like him want smaller ones but don't realize that the smaller ones don't come low maintenance. Having a preference for the high strung ones myself, I know what they involve. I wish people would just get it and not refuse to listen.

Here's his new bio, if you guys know ANYONE Looking for a fantastic bully, please pass on his info. I don't think he's scary looking but so many other people do.

Poor Hemi - What can we do to find this dog a home? He's been in our rescue/foster care program for 18 months and still has not found a home. He's a wonderful dog! So what are his bad points? He's big (70 lbs) and he's got a huge head, cropped ears and sadly, he's also a black brindle. We think he's absolutely beautiful with his short glossy coat and flashy markings but most "typical people" think he's intimidating and shy away from him even when he's standing there wagging his tail waiting to say hi. You can literally see the disappointment in his face when people walk away. He's also a bit drooly thanks to that large head and lippy jowls. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed and the mere suggestion of food or "cookie" can hold his attention for a long time, even if the hand holding the "treat" is an empty one. He does sound like dove cooing with low baby like whines when he is banished to his crate. He doesn't know he's a big dog, in fact he thinks he is a small dog which means he will climb into your lap and collapse on top of you with all 70 lbs and he doesn't know his own body dimensions. He will do a crazy pit bull run around the back yard and come onto the patio and try to brake and slide across into the patio furniture. Because of this we choose not to place him with small kids just because he might mow them down in an attempt to stop. He needs kids that can see him coming and side step out of the way: ).

So what' so great about Hemi? He's a big goofy doofus that loves to live life enthusiastically. He can find fun anywhere and gets along with everything. He's completely housebroken and crate trained. He has moderate exercise needs. He's full grown so you know he won't be getting any bigger (thank goodness!). He is SO very much food motivated that he is super easy to train and condition. With that love of food comes a need for a new owner to watch his waistline. He should be 70 lbs, no more as he just teeters on the edge of being the perfect weight and weighing too much. He's silly and gets excited when you clap your hands and call him "fathead dog" . He likes to wedge his big body under the computer desk (while I'm writing this). He gets along well with other dogs and is great at turning the other cheek to snarky females but will pick up a challenge if it is unavoidable (he is a pit bull - so could you expect any less?). He has a history of doing well with male dogs too. He is good with kids but is big and not graceful but he's snuggly and sweet and doesn't mind being used as a pillow. He likes cats and also likes to play with cats. My cat didn't appreciate him barking and playbowing in front of him and bolted to the bedroom. The cat has given him a wide berth but he doesn't mind and is not interested in doing anything but play. He likes to fetch and play tug. He does not jump on people, he keeps his paws on the floor. Unless you are in a chair and then he might try to slide up in your lap but only if invited.

With minimal training he is excellent CGC material and we think he could even be a therapy dog if folks can get past his intimidating appearance. He has a true love of people and is completely temperamentally sound. You can drop a whole tray of metal pans and he won't even flinch. Take a second look at Hemi and consider if he would be a good dog for your family. We aren't quite sure where he came from as he was rescued from a shelter. He was picked up in pitiful shape, thin, missing lot of hair and full of worms. He had a collar on him that was so thick he couldn't even bend his neck and we think he lived those first months to year of his life on a chain in a yard. We have surmised that he came from a breeder because his front dewclaws were removed when he was really little, most likely when he was a few days old. Too bad that person didn't take as much care in finding him a good home originally. We also think his ears were professionally cropped, the cuts are clean and even and the skin is soft and supple which means it was well maintained during healing. We love this goofy butthead and thing he's a fantastic boy.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sun May 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Good luck Hemi! That's a great bio – we looked at rescues and shelters when we got our dog and what you wrote would have totally made me want to go visit him! He looks like the biggest sweetheart :inlove: :inlove:

chinsNdobermans
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby chinsNdobermans » Sun May 11, 2008 2:05 pm

If I was in VA/NC, that new bio would make me want to come look at him.

But just HIM makes me want to come look, as I have a soft spot for the big doofy ones.

If only! :inlove:

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Sun May 11, 2008 2:50 pm

Really wonderful bio. He sounds very much like the dog I'll be looking for in a few years... if only I were ready now. :sad: Best of luck finding Hemi his forever home!

Ellena
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ellena » Sun May 11, 2008 3:15 pm

Amy- He is just beautiful!!!!

Ya know, Gerkin is still with us as well almost 2 years later. Sucks that those fantastic adult males are SO hard to place. :sad:

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Sun May 11, 2008 7:30 pm

Oh he is a cutie, if he's still in need of a home in 3-4 months, I may come looking for Hemi. He sounds like he would fit in great here but I'm working two jobs over the summer and that's not the best time to add another dog. I can't believe nobody's jumped on him, he sounds like an swesome dog.

The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Tue May 13, 2008 6:37 am

Man-o-man-o-man! If I didn't already have two males, and was in my own home...this guy would be coming home with me. The sad part is, he sounds like the kind of dog who would probably do very well with my two males and four cats, but unfortunately its just not the right time.....GOOD LUCK, Big Fella!

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”