Caldwell County NC Plea for HELP

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
Pit_friendly
Matured Bully

Caldwell County NC Plea for HELP

Postby Pit_friendly » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:19 pm

There are conflicting stories of the actual number of Pit Bulls on the property and even how many came up missing the next day when they went to confiscate.

But now, the Shelter is Begging for Help!!

I've got a close friend who does St. Rescue down in Shelby and he's on speaking terms with this Shelter and they NEED, NO they WANT HELP with these dogs!

Here's what he's sent me!!

The county run shelter can't even provide the needed food for this many dogs. It has already cost the lives of several other dogs just to make room for these guys...

Here's the contact info for the shelter, they welcome all available help.
Phone : ( 828 ) 757-8625.
Web: Caldwell County Animal Control Lenoir, NC

Caldwell County Animal Care & Control

829 Fairview Drive SW
1966-B Morganton Blvd. SW
Lenoir, NC 28645
( 828 ) 757-8625
( 828 ) 757-8687 Fax
News reports:

WBTV TV

WSOC-TV

Charlotte Observer

Shelter put out an urgent plea this morning, looking for fosters, volunteers, rescues, even food....

They are in way over their heads and need help fast. Pretty much a last ditch effort before they start euthanizations.

From the way I hear it, there are some that are adoptable, but the shelter needs help evaluating.

It's just a really tragic situation. The pit (rescue) folks need to assist the shelter anyway they can - This shelter is really trying but it honestly doesn't look good....

I have already contacted Pity 4 Us in Charlotte, NC asking for help and they've agreed to contact the Shelter.

I've contacted both Bil-Jac and Canidae hoping they both still have their Kennel/Rescue Programs available or at the very least willing to donate some much needed food.

I've also got 2 more names that were suggested I also contact for help with this. But as of yet, I have not made contact with the Shelter it's self. :(

Any suggestions?

dawgdays
www.BadRap.org

Postby dawgdays » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Can somebody go in there and help them identify the most promising two or three or four candidates for rescue and put word out to groups? I know someone who might take *one.*

If you haven't worked on a case like this before, I'm happy to give you some pointers over the phone.

We just shopped the dogs in AZ to make it easier on out of state groups that were willing to help, and it got 6 dogs out. A modest effort, but it made a HUGE impact on the staff and I swear, it gives them permission to care. Giving them hope means they won't give up on our dogs when BSL comes knocking.

Thanks.

(Ohhhh Vick dogs...What have you done to us?)

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:04 pm

dawgdays wrote:Can somebody go in there and help them identify the most promising two or three or four candidates for rescue and put word out to groups? I know someone who might take *one.*

If you haven't worked on a case like this before, I'm happy to give you some pointers over the phone.

We just shopped the dogs in AZ to make it easier on out of state groups that were willing to help, and it got 6 dogs out. A modest effort, but it made a HUGE impact on the staff and I swear, it gives them permission to care. Giving them hope means they won't give up on our dogs when BSL comes knocking.

Thanks.

(Ohhhh Vick dogs...What have you done to us?)

I'd love some pointers!

If we had the time to run up there and Temperament Test some, I would. But gosh...I dunno what we can do from here :sad:

Any one know if they are still there? They were supposed to be starting to be euthed a few days ago.

Pit_friendly
Matured Bully

Postby Pit_friendly » Fri May 02, 2008 10:04 am

Okay, here is the Press Announcement being sent out by my Company, Lockheed Martin.

I wouldn't have been able to do this write up without Diane Jessup's help! :bowdown:

Donations Desperately Needed for a North Carolina Animal Shelter Crowded With 40 Victimized Dogs.

The Caldwell County Animal Care & Control in Lenior, North Carolina was overwhelmed last week when they seized some 40 Pit and Pit mixes. These dogs were found in varying stages of malnutrition and tied to dilapidated dog houses and tree trunks.

The Shelter staff believes whole heartedly that these animals are very adoptable, but right now the Shelter’s resources are stretched to their absolute limits trying to provide the proper care so desperately needed by these victims of neglect.

Needed most urgently are financial donations for emergency vet care, and those can be mailed directly to the Shelter at 1966-B Morganton Blvd. SW, Lenior, NC 28645 in C/O the Dudley Shoals Dogs. Also greatly needed is quality Dog Food; toys such as KONGS, Rope type toys, Basted Beef Bones, and blankets or dog beds. The physical items can be dropped off with Kerri Baker, 7-3661, Bldg. 400/2N22, please call to make arrangements.

If you love animals and want a meaningful, local way to help, please consider donating to the shelter this week. Kerri can accept any and all donations; just remember that every little bit helps.

Pit bulls, like the Vick dogs, are often the victims of cruelty and neglect. If you have any questions or want to learn more about the breed, Kerri would be more than happy to help you.

On a side note ... :thumbsup:

I have managed to get both Canidae and Bil-Jac to make donations of either food or money to this shelter. Canidae has donated some 400lbs of food, and while that will only last a few days, they didn't have to do anything! So, as far as I am concerned, they :headbang:

I am still desperately working to find them someone who can properly evaluate these dogs. I've contacted 7 Pit Bull Rescues in the North Carolina area offering to pay their expenses if they'd just volunteer their time to do the evals. :frown:

Anyone with any ideas or suggestions??????

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Fri May 02, 2008 10:12 am

I could run up there on a weekend with enough advance notice to find someone to take care of my dogs. I would be more than happy to offer my time to go up there and eval some. I can't believe the NC rescues haven't stepped up to at least do that much.

Caldwell County is approximately 4 hours from me.

The dogs are still alive though?? The poor lady who called me about them the day they found out they could move them didn't seem to have much hope to keeping them alive much longer because of the huge expense at the boarding facility that offered to help them out.

Pit_friendly
Matured Bully

Postby Pit_friendly » Fri May 02, 2008 10:30 am

lpyrbby wrote:I could run up there on a weekend with enough advance notice to find someone to take care of my dogs. I would be more than happy to offer my time to go up there and eval some. I can't believe the NC rescues haven't stepped up to at least do that much.

Caldwell County is approximately 4 hours from me.

The dogs are still alive though?? The poor lady who called me about them the day they found out they could move them didn't seem to have much hope to keeping them alive much longer because of the huge expense at the boarding facility that offered to help them out.

Thank you for your offer to help! Let me know if you can actually make the trip and if you have paypal, I'll send you money for your gas and lunch. :thumbsup:

Right now the dogs are not going anywhere till the court case is settled. So, for now, they are relatively safe. *wince*

I have spoken with a Shelter staff member and both Officers involved in the case, and I do so on a regular basis. I am now going to see if my rich uncle will allow his company to donate to the shelter. They live right there in the same damn town. :frown:

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Fri May 02, 2008 10:47 am

My significant other is off next Saturday (May 10) so let me talk to him tonight and see what plans we might have for next weekend (I know of none lol) and see if he's wanting to road trip with me. I may have to steal my partner in crime in rescue to go with me. :D And gas money would be super helpful. Fortunately, I get about 27 to the gallon in my car so it won't be horrible :)

Donna (dawgdays), if you guys want to share eval material with me, that would be awesome.

Email me at ad @ nhpbr.org for my contact info and if you guys want references, just tell me what you need. I don't want you thinking I'm some yoohoo just standing up to be nosy lol

I REALLY think that if *someone* can stand up and evaluate these dogs, some rescues may be more willing to step up and say, "Yes, that's a dog I can take on!" I have a camera too so if they let me, I can take pictures of the individual dogs to go with their evals to help push them along.

I will do what I can to help get this going. I don't have room right now either, but if my lovely foster is adopted soon (she has someone VERY interested in her) I will.

Let's see what we can come up with.

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Fri May 02, 2008 3:13 pm

Okay, Kat (DiamondTiger) and I are trying to make plans to leave after work on Friday, May 9th, to go up there and get started first thing in the morning so we don't burn daylight and can get to testing more dogs.

Would anyone be willing to pitch in for food/gas/lodging? Every little bit helps.

Pit_friendly
Matured Bully

Postby Pit_friendly » Fri May 02, 2008 6:40 pm

lpyrbby wrote:Okay, Kat (DiamondTiger) and I are trying to make plans to leave after work on Friday, May 9th, to go up there and get started first thing in the morning so we don't burn daylight and can get to testing more dogs.

Would anyone be willing to pitch in for food/gas/lodging? Every little bit helps.

You guys :headbang: I would, but as it stands right now, we may have this covered.

I will ask that you contact Officer Hamby or Officer Green, both individuals were the arresting/confiscating officers in this case.

There seems to be a group they are working with currently, but that is by word of the group, not the shelter, no one there seems to know anything about them. *shrugs*

Please consider contacting them to see if they need anymore help before you leave and YES, I'll still provide as much financial help as I can afford out of my own pocket!

~Kerri

dawgdays
www.BadRap.org

Postby dawgdays » Sun May 04, 2008 3:35 pm

!! I was ready to give up on this thread but am so glad I peeked back in. Good work you guys. Wow Kerri - You know how to make things happen. Very nice.

I'm a little confused about what's happening right now, but please let me know if you need anything from me.

It's best to contact me via email rather than PM: donna@badrap.org

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Mon May 05, 2008 9:01 am

Okay, I just spoke with a woman at the shelter and here's the scoop:

The dogs have been evaluated and there are only a handful that are going to be hard to release to rescue due to animal aggression.

There are SEVERAL dogs that show NO issues with other animals AT ALL. All the dogs are human friendly.

One rescue pulled a couple of dogs this past weekend. Another group will be taking one dog within the next few days. Two other dogs will be going into another rescue group associated with the boarding facility where some of the dogs are being kept.

The county government refuses to be the ones to make the final say in *when* the dogs need to go. They are pushing the shelter director VERY hard to be the one to make the call on these dogs.

Not ONE pit bull rescue has stood up to take any of these dogs. The other rescues are either all breed or breed specific to another power breed.

If I had room, I would pull one of these dogs. Is there not ANYONE out there with room?

They will ONLY release the dogs to an actual rescue, not individuals. Incorporation paperwork and an EIN is the only thing the shelter needs to get these dogs out. Private individuals have been calling wanting to help and the shelter has been telling them they need to become a foster home with another rescue if they are serious about helping. Can ANYONE make this kind of push?

I'm going to try getting this out to other forums as well but ... can SOMETHING more be done to help get these dogs out? I asked for pictures and right now, they aren't allowed to release pictures of the dogs. That's totally understandable regarding the circumstances. MANY people have donated food and money to help these dogs and the shelter is expecting a huge backlash at them if the dogs can't get out. That's no one's problem really but I understand their concern.

Anyone? Just one?

dawgdays
www.BadRap.org

Postby dawgdays » Mon May 05, 2008 12:52 pm

So four dogs are getting out? Bless those all-breed groups.

Is there any one reason that east coast pit bull rescue groups are steering clear of this case?

This sounds like a great opportunity to build an alliance with an open-minded shelter and educate the public at the same time.

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Mon May 05, 2008 12:58 pm

It seems like the only apparent reason is that people are full. I'd take one if I could but I'm at a loss for homes.

And it's a total of five if i count right, two to one, two to another and one to one more. I wish I could light some more fires lol

dawgdays
www.BadRap.org

Postby dawgdays » Tue May 06, 2008 2:58 pm

Well, it's good to know that the all-breed people are stepping up for our dogs.

lpyrbby, if you have the names of these rescues, would you please pass them along?

I'd love to send them a token of our appreciation, and see if they need any support or information to help make these rescues a success.

Thanks.

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Tue May 06, 2008 4:17 pm

Absolutely!

I'll PM you the info since I'm not sure if they want people knowing who has the dogs (IE: john q public). I don't want to step out of my bounds :)

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”