California . . .

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

California . . .

Postby BabyReba » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:25 pm

This email has landed in my inbox tonight, and last week I got one crossposted about this same situation. If it is as described, it does sound quite urgent . . . I haven't the faintest idea where Frazier Park is in California, but if any of you West Coasters are near there, sounds like these pups are in trouble and some teenager is handing them out like candy. Contact email is in the message.

> From: Rayofjoy@aol.com
> Date: 2004/12/13 Mon PM 07:00:46 GMT
Subject: LIFE & DEATH MATTER...PIT BULL PUPPIES NOW OUTSIDE - 7 WEEKS
OLD.
>
> MORE THAN URGENT!!
> PLEASE SEND TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW.
> Frazier Park, CA - 7wk. old Pit Bull Pups out in the cold.
>
> I am still waiting for pictures - hopefully this week,
> but in the meantime the 17 year old with the once 12 Pit Bull Puppies
has
> started giving them to just anyone..
>
> Down to 7 or 8 now, and going fast!
> 1, I'm trying to retrieve, because the new owner keeps him outside on
her
> doorstep. We are in the mountains, and have lots of coyotes, hawks,
cougars,
> traffic and hunters!!
>
> In addition, the owner of all these pups has taken the mom inside and
is
> leaving Charlie - the dog I'm trying to place too, with the puppies
to keep them
> warm... Snows here.
>
> Now, I have a home or a foster for Charlie, but afraid to take him
away from
> the puppies. I need to get them to a warm foster home before too
late!!!
>
> Please, please - I've got to get them all to safety before the next
snow
> storm... So desperately urgent. Can't wait for pictures!
>
> HELP, HELP, HELP!!!!
> MORE THAN URGENT!
> MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!
>
> Joy Ray Rayofjoy@aol.com
> RAYning Catts N' Doggs
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby dawgdays » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:39 pm

Sigh. If this is the same FP teenage home we were contacted about a few weeks ago, we came SO close to convincing them to spay/abort on our tab. But of course that was mean and they had all sorts of wonderful plans to find perfect homes at the time. Poor Joy Ray. She's been wringing her hands over this inevitable situation for weeks.
dawgdays
www.BadRap.org

Postby BabyReba » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:56 pm

Man, it just don't ever end. Poor pups.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby Boo439 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:49 am

What a horrible situation!
Boo439

Postby who00knows » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:54 am

If only I lived close by. :crybaby:
who00knows
Matured Bully

Location: Not at your local off leash dog park during peak hours

Postby caped dog » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:34 pm

If it is the *right* Frazier park it looks to be in Southern Ca btwn Bakersfield and Simi Valley... sound right? As far as getting those pups out of danger... if they are being handed out like candy... will they hand any out to her? her friend(s) posing as a loser adopter(s)? There is a huge thing in rescue, where people expect us to have limitless resources...ARGH! but I combat that by just focusing solely on making the situation BETTER. Can they be gotten and surrendered to a shelter that WILL spay/neuter before adoption? Sometimes rescuers won't consider that an option or we fear (or get) flack from unknowing outsiders that don't simply focus on improving the situation. I don't expect myself or anyone else to be able to do this perfectly... but free intact pit pups is about as bad as it gets. keep us posted.- i'll email her, too.
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BabyReba » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:57 pm

Hey Cdog, I think emailing this person who's looking for help is the best way to get the info you need. I have never even corresponded directly with her, just got this in my inbox through a rescue listserv. I figured it'd be better posted here where some Cali folks are more likely to see it than on a Maryland-based list.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby caped dog » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:15 pm

I emailed her (a modified copy of that post actually :tongue: ) so if there is any new info I'll post it here. In any case, I know I will come around here looking for support on imperfect rescue projects... and I will be the first in line to support others who make that tough, tearful drive to the shelter to *surrender* rather than *save* when the resources simply do not exist. Sometimes I just think we have to stand together to have limits and be imperfect. There are so many expectations... I wish the the spay/abort convincing had been complete...and LOVE that BR promotes and pays for it...
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby caped dog » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:49 pm

Hey all, I have exchanged a couple of emails with Joy including giving her the link to this thread so that she might join in the discussion. The situation is (tragically) not at all out of the ordinary. The kid has done some lousy placements, but "doesn't want to hear that" and insists on continuing to do them. He is willing to let everyone be s/n but wants to get all the pups back to place them himself. She does have transpo and the s/n's set up but I am not sure of the date- or whether there will be any pups left by the time the appt. rolls around. I thought maybe some fundraising to get everyone in a kennel spot until their appt...?

Unknown whether she has seen the pups, or whether she or any other adult can talk some sense to him. She is the main (only?) rescue in that area and is in a permanent state of being swamped. She is older (can I say that w/o sounding rude... it's just an adjective like "blue" or "tall"... :) ) and my *hunch* is that he is taking advantge in part b/c of the difference in their ages... I'll let you know if there's any good news...M
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BabyReba » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:31 pm

oh goodness. thanks for the update, cdog. i feel for this woman . . . not much i can do to help on this coast, but if she checks in on this thread, hopefully she'll know we're rooting for her. i know what it feels like to be swamped, that's for sure.

hopefully there might be some good news at the tail end of this.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby caped dog » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:29 pm

In fact baby reba... there IS some good news...
Outcome is good with the puppies. Melanie Pozez from Bark Avenue took them
and they will be getting spayed, neutered, shots, and de-wormed. They are not going back to him!!
However, he changed his mind about the mom and does not want her spayed NOW... He said he will call me.. He is 17 years old, and stubborn like Hell, and the more he is pushed, the more he rebels! I need a man to talk to him about spaying the mom, etc. and need to figure a way where he won't think this came from me!!! Thanks for caring. and thank you so much for your generous offer to help. God Bless You my friend. Love, Joy Ray RAYofjoy@aol.com
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BabyReba » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:36 pm

YEE HA! I hope they make some progress with him on the mama dog too. Perhaps using the wear-down method will do the trick. Thanks for the update!
BabyReba
Regulator

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs