I am interested in fostering a pit

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
bogeythebully
Newborn Bully

I am interested in fostering a pit

Postby bogeythebully » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:12 pm

Do any of you have any tips or advice on how to get started? I have a 9 month old unaltered male that I am NOT looking to breed, we just haven't made a decision about neutering him yet. We do know that we couldn't bring another male into the house. Thanks in advance!

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:32 pm

Most rescues are going to be very skeptical about your fostering if you have an intact male. If you are not going to breed or show, there is no reason not to have this dog fixed. It would be the best thing for him and show your committment to the breed.

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:42 pm

with the people i foster for, also my boss, she requires if you have an unaltered dog pass 6months ot prove why, be it showing..and PROOF of showing and working the dog(my case) or a medical condition.

bogeythebully
Newborn Bully

Postby bogeythebully » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:44 pm

If you are not going to breed or show, there is no reason not to have this dog fixed.

But he's not broke!!

Seriously, we have no reason TO neuter him unless we decide to foster an unaltered female. He lives inside, and is NEVER unleashed outside of our fenced in back yard with someone outside with him.

Oh well... maybe fostering isn't for us... or not at this time, at least.

Thanks!

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:57 pm

when you first get a foster, they arent always altered.

the male i'm fostering is VERY intacted at 6months, he is getting nuetered tomorrow..

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Postby RescueAPBT » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:57 pm

bogeythebully wrote:
If you are not going to breed or show, there is no reason not to have this dog fixed.

But he's not broke!!

Seriously, we have no reason TO neuter him unless we decide to foster an unaltered female. He lives inside, and is NEVER unleashed outside of our fenced in back yard with someone outside with him.

Oh well... maybe fostering isn't for us... or not at this time, at least.

Thanks!

No offense, but I don't see why you're interested in fostering. Most people who rescue dogs are very aware of the problem of overpopulation (and want to help do something about it!), which comes from people not spaying/neutering their pets! What happens if your dog escapes your house/yard one day? The number of females he could breed with is infinite. There is no reason NOT to neuter your dog, unless you're planning to show & breed him. I highly urge you to consider getting your boy neutered, and then pursue fostering. I doubt any rescue will allow you to foster until you do so.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:19 pm

As a rescue, I ditto that.
Most often the dogs get altered within a week but sometimes they do not.
Not to mention the females in heat, when they come in, in heat, they cannot be spayed until they are out of heat.
What a mess that would be for you and your intact male.

pittymomma
Bully Ambassador

Postby pittymomma » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:57 am

Little advice from a rescue.

don't write that in your application. lol

bogeythebully
Newborn Bully

Postby bogeythebully » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:02 am

Again, maybe fostering isn't for us right now, although we would love to do something great for the breed. All of you say you love the breed, but if we have them all spayed/neutered, the breed will die out! We're not certain at this time if we will one day breed him or not, we don't know for sure if we will have him compete or not, we are not ready to make a permanent decision to have him neutered. I hate that you all think we're awful for feeling that way, but we do, and if that means that no one will let us foster a dog, even though we have plenty of space and time to do so, then so be it.

Pittymomma - thanks for your advice, but what part of what I said did you find humorous? Should I be deceptive and give some off the wall reason that we haven't had him neutered? The point I am trying to convey is that we are very responsible pet owners. Our dog isn't a magic trickster disappearing in the blink of an eye. If he is outside our home and not inside the fence, he is on two collars and leashes, and when he is inside our fence, someone is watching him at all times. He doesn't even try to get out of the house, and even if he did, we are all very aware of the dog, and keep up with where he is whether we're leaving the house or not.

The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:09 am

bogeythebully wrote:All of you say you love the breed, but if we have them all spayed/neutered, the breed will die out!

Very few members here are COMPLETELY against breeding...most just want it to be left the pros...responsible breeders. This forum has many members who are involved in rescue, so they see the direct results of unecessery breedings on a daily basis.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:11 am

but if we have them all spayed/neutered, the breed will die out!

Oh dear, what a fallacy.
The breed will NOT die out, what might die out is having to euthanize thousands of animals each day in America because people do not spay/neuter.
"Fixed" isn't a term I like, since you're right, nothing IS broken.
But altered - this is what each PET needs to be.
Don't worry about the breed dying. Look up statistics, or better yet, ask the shelter if you can go watch euthanasia day.

There's plenty of GOOD breeders out there who will breed their quality pets, we (rescuers) or at least I am not against responsible breeding.
I am against people wanting to breed their pet dog because "its so nice" and "everyone wants a dog like mine".
For those people I tell them, thousands of nice dogs are dying on death row. Have your friends go look at the shelter before you decide to throw your "nice" dog with another, to create yet another litter.
And while people may WANT your dog's puppies, that only means one thing; more dogs will die on death row because people got one of your puppies.

I'd not think you'd want to be responsible for that :(

http://brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx

The problem is when people who think they should have just one litter (or sometimes more) do NOT equate themselves with what's going on with shelters and euthanasia of perfectly good pets because of the lack of GOOD homes for them.

bogeythebully
Newborn Bully

Postby bogeythebully » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:39 am

As I stated in my first post, we are not wanting to breed him, but we can't say for sure that we will NEVER want to breed him. We are well aware of the pet overpopulation issue, and the spay/neuter program is a great one, but I believe we all know a great majority of people would LOVE to see pits die out. I agree that the ones that are brought in to the shelter should be spayed/neutered. You've already got one unwanted dog, you definitely don't want to produce more. But the people that we bought Bogey from were not "professional" breeders - whoever the "professionals" are - and every one of their puppies are in good homes.

Why can't I be a responsible owner and not have my dog neutered without the wrath of the PBF coming down on me?? I'm sure that are a lot of sorry people out there and you have to be careful, but I'm not one of them and don't appreciate the assumption that I'm irresponsible or "not committed" to the breed because I haven't had my dog neutered when there is NO reason why I should!

To be honest, I'm quite sorry that I ever mentioned wanting to foster.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:31 am

There are plenty of reasons to neuter your dog.

However, if you can call yourself an ethical breeder, by all means, breed your qualified dog to an equally qualfied female.

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=49670

If not, then by all means, keep the boy intact, but please be aware that "accidents" can happen at any time.
Plus your boy will be happier if neutered and he won't be focused on the females in heat all over the place, 2x or more a year.

bogeythebully
Newborn Bully

Postby bogeythebully » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:52 am

There are plenty of reasons to neuter your dog.

However, if you can call yourself an ethical breeder, by all means, breed your qualified dog to an equally qualfied female.

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=49670

If not, then by all means, keep the boy intact, but please be aware that "accidents" can happen at any time.
Plus your boy will be happier if neutered and he won't be focused on the females in heat all over the place, 2x or more a year.

Thanks for the article. We don't call ourselves breeders at all, and at this point, don't necessarily plan to breed. Just want to keep our options open. Not just for breeding, but possibly for competition. We can have him neutered at any time, but we can never have it undone. I understand that "accidents" can happen, but I want you all to understand that we are extremely careful to make sure that he is NEVER unsupervised outside of our home (even inside our home, he is in his crate when we're not here) and that we are in control of him at all times outside of our house.

Why will he be "happier" neutered??? Where are all the reasons for having him neutered?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:59 am

They've been posted, but it does reduce testicular cancer (obviously) and there's a few other health conditions that can be prevented in neutered males, prostate hypertrophy, for one, and there's a type of tumor that erupts on intact male's peri-anal area. Neutered males do not deal with this.
I've seen the peri-anal tumors and they are not fun for a dog to deal with.

Although it's for a different breed, you might enjoy this read:
http://www.cal.net/~pamgreen/why_neuter.html

Also try here:
http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/dneut.html

*edited to add this link*
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=911

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”