I am interested in fostering a pit

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
4pits sake
Newborn Bully

Postby 4pits sake » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:27 am

Before you even start to think about breeding your dog here's a few things you should think about (and please don't reply because like you my mind is made up on what I think the kind of breeder you would be)
* are you prepared to take any dog back if things don't work out
* are you going to have them all vetted before selling them
* are you able to pay for any medical expenses that can happen because of something that might happen during birth (yes I know you have a dog but you should be held responsible as much as the owner of the bitch)
* what kind of health guarantee are you prepared to give
* will you have your dog tested to make sure eyes,hips and elbows are clear

If your not able/willing to do any of these than you will just be like any other backyard breeder that doesn't really care about the breed..

There's more to breeding than just sex and puppies there's responsibilities! (are you prepared to take some)

bogeythebully
Newborn Bully

Postby bogeythebully » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:48 am

I liked your idea about volunteering for the shelter. Or you could do it for a rescue. Start there. There is a possibility that a rescue might allow you to foster already spayed females IF you prove to them that you are in fact a responsible dog owner. If you contacted me about helping out and I got to know you and saw that you were a good owner who responsibly managed your intact male dog and your intact male was not DA; I would consider using you as a foster home for an already spayed female, or maybe for altered puppies (depending on your dog). But I would have to get to know you first.

I hope you're not getting too upset by people here asking you about your dog competing, health tests etc. It is very important that our breed is carried on responsibly. And as rescue people we are the ones who typically have to clean up irresponsible "breeders" messes.

Thanks! There's a shelter opening here on July 1, so I've filled out the paperwork to volunteer there when they open.

I'm not upset that people are passionate about what they're doing. Only upset that I came here for advice on fostering and not to be put on trial for not neutering my dog. I understand that that will probably be prerequisite to fostering. 'Nuff said.

What irritates me most is that several people here seem to assume the worst instead of the best. I'm sure you all see a lot of bad people doing what you do, but you can't assume that everyone is irresponsible. The way that some people have responded has nearly burned me off to rescue work in any form or fashion, period.

bogeythebully
Newborn Bully

Postby bogeythebully » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:06 am

I am NOT looking to breed.

We are not certain if we will ONE DAY breed him or not

We are not wanting to breed him, but can't say for sure that we will NEVER breed him

4PitsSake - what part of this don't you understand?? We are NOT looking to breed our dog. In the future, we may, not we WILL, but we MAY. IF and WHEN that day comes that we think we might want to breed him, we will have all of the appropriate testing done. We are not STUPID, we know what is expected of us financially if we ever do breed him.

You, along with a couple other people here, are just posting to be cute. Game is over. We're not neutering our dog, we're not BREEDING our dog, we are not HARMING our dog. We are simply making a decision to not have him neutered at this time. We are law abiding, responsible adult citizens, and we can do that here in the good ol' USA. I haven't even said that we will never have him neutered. Just NOT RIGHT NOW! I came here looking for advice to get into fostering. I UNDERSTAND that I will probably have to have my dog neutered first. Fine. Back off!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:45 am

Since you used to breed Rat Terriers you may remember that biology and hormones are stronger than good intentions.

When people come on here and say "we think we'll breed our dog", we want to see credentials that make the dog worthy of spreading it's genes around the country, because of so many dogs already dying in shelters for lack of GOOD HOMES, and also, because it's part of the rules of being on this board, which you may have overlooked.

And while you're saying "we may not", your main reason for not wanting to neuter is that you may breed him in the future.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:56 am

even with a shelter, they MIGHT question you about your intact male... or they might not.. it depends on the shelter, just like rescue, some rescues will be fine with you , some wont... you wont be able to please everyone.

the best way is how others said, volunteer in other ways to show you really have the dogs interests at heart, let them get to know you, and then go from there. shelters and rescues are dying for any type of help,no matter what kind, so anything you can do is beneficial to them.

i have an intact female that i plan on showing , my other 2 are speutered. if i got into rescue again i know i would have a hard time due to my intact female. i know i would have to prove myself to any rescue as to why i have an intact female. i however have no intentions of ever breeding as i dont know squat about that kind of stuff,and honestly i dont want to. once my female is done showing she will be spayed and never bred. but thats just me.

most rescues/shelters that get dogs in 98% of the time the dogs are intact.. sometimes you get a speutered dog in.. like OlympianAB said, most times the dogs go to the foster homes intact and are there to be speutered, and sometimes health prevents this from happening in the beginning..

no matter what you do,any type of help will be greatly appreciated at any rescue/shelter you decide to volunteer with.

bogeythebully
Newborn Bully

Postby bogeythebully » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:00 am

Since you used to breed Rat Terriers you may remember that biology and hormones are stronger than good intentions.

When people come on here and say "we think we'll breed our dog", we want to see credentials that make the dog worthy of spreading it's genes around the country, because of so many dogs already dying in shelters for lack of GOOD HOMES, and also, because it's part of the rules of being on this board, which you may have overlooked.

And while you're saying "we may not", your main reason for not wanting to neuter is that you may breed him in the future.

I intentionally bred my Rat Terriers, and intentionally stopped breeding them when we took in a stray and all of our babies died with parvo.

I didn't come on here saying that "we think we'll breed our dog" and that is not my main reason for not neutering him. Please show me where I said that!!

The only reason that breeding him came up is because I knew that would be the first thought as to why we would take in a female when our male isn't neutered. We have discussed breeding him and both of us feel the same - we don't want to. Who's to say we'll NEVER want to?? You all demanded to know why, so I gave you a couple of reasons why we would not get him neutered AT THIS TIME. Did I say I will never have him neutered? NO! Did I say I have a bitch I'm getting ready to breed him with? NO! I didn't say anything about intentions to breed him except that WE'RE NOT SURE! Is that a crime????

You have no idea how heart wrenching it was for us to watch our babies that we had watched be born, my children were attached to and so were we, die in front of our eyes when we were trying so hard to save them. Maybe you do, but regardless, we learned then that breeding was not for us. And I'm sure that there is "someone" who will say that it was highly irresponsible of us to bring in a stray with our puppies or whatever, but we didn't know any better at the time. Geez, you people KILL ME!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:34 am

bogeythebully wrote:We're not certain at this time if we will one day breed him or not, we don't know for sure if we will have him compete or not, we are not ready to make a permanent decision to have him neutered.

bogeythebully wrote:You have no idea how heart wrenching it was for us to watch our babies that we had watched be born, my children were attached to and so were we, die in front of our eyes when we were trying so hard to save them.

Actually yes, I do, as we are in rescue, and we have had an entire litter we raised, save one, wiped out by the horrible disease.
We've nursed some successfully back to health but have lost more to parvo than have saved.

What you might not know is I'm also a euth. tech and the shelter here euthanizes all pit bulls, rather than sending them out for adoption, and rescues are always chalk full (ask all the rescues here) of pit bulls, so that's never an option any longer.

It is kind of torture when people come flouncing onto the boards stating they may want to breed their dog because he or she so "nice" and "everyone wants a puppy" from him or her.
People who cannot equate the breeding they are doing, with the rampant killing that goes on daily in shelters.
Until those people can see themselves as a part of the problem, they will never be part of the solution.

bogeythebully
Newborn Bully

Postby bogeythebully » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:54 am

It is kind of torture when people come flouncing onto the boards stating they may want to breed their dog because he or she so "nice" and "everyone wants a puppy" from him or her.
People who cannot equate the breeding they are doing, with the rampant killing that goes on daily in shelters.
Until those people can see themselves as a part of the problem, they will never be part of the solution.

Please show me where I went flouncing around saying I want to breed my dog. Please.

JamisPack
Adolescent Bully

:O)

Postby JamisPack » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:22 am

What is the point of arguing back and forth?

If you love your dog and the breed and want to help others of the same breed, you will. You will find a way. You will research and read and experience the daily trials real pitbulls is shelters and on the streets experience. You will do what is best for them, you will see the light - without anyone having to push you into it.

People have good intentions - sometimes the harshness stems from urgency to aviod the things that we all see happen every day. Too many times people come on here and say they "rescued" a dog, love the breed, etc and the next thing you know are posts about how thier dog is having an unplanned litter, bit someone, attacked a dog, etc - I think people that come off as harsh just try to avoid the consequences of ignorance and passion comes across as bieng judgemental and rude...

I am not accusing anyone of planning to breed, or trying to start more arguments BUT I have a confession to make that may help someone somewhere think a little bit before making decisions - I wish I owuld have done my research BEFORE and not AFTER my actions...

I was one of the people long ago that got my first pit bull and "let her have a litter" I was a genuis.

If I could take it back I would. I had the hardest time finding real, responsible homes for the pups (adopting to "friends" that like your dog and want one too - doesnt always work in the long run) one pup was euthanized at the shelter because my "friend" was too afrid to tell me he decided a dog was too much for him, when I found out he had taken him to the shelter and got there it was too late for this pup... another "friend" lost a pup. I am still looking and hoping one day I will find her.
Another adopter moved where there was BSL, I now have 2 of the pups back and I am responsible for them forever... I didnt plan on it - but what could I do? I was MY responsibility and I was the reason they were there in the first place.

The parents weren't health tested and I passed on thyriod issues... The dad has Cardiac Disease and guess what? It could show up in the pups...

Basically I know I am probably going to be ripped a new one for this but if my stupidity can save someone from making the mistakes I made then so be it.

My "breeding" and all that I learned from it is why I got involved in rescue and try so hard to help the breed that I love. They deserve people that know better, and people that will alwasy put the best interest of the individual dogs as well as the breed as a whole BEFORE thier own desires of "letting thier dog have babies"

I sure learned the hard way, and sorry guys - I KNOW I was wrong...

bogeythebully
Newborn Bully

Postby bogeythebully » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:57 am

What is the point of arguing back and forth?

If you love your dog and the breed and want to help others of the same breed, you will. You will find a way. You will research and read and experience the daily trials real pitbulls is shelters and on the streets experience. You will do what is best for them, you will see the light - without anyone having to push you into it.

People have good intentions - sometimes the harshness stems from urgency to aviod the things that we all see happen every day. Too many times people come on here and say they "rescued" a dog, love the breed, etc and the next thing you know are posts about how thier dog is having an unplanned litter, bit someone, attacked a dog, etc - I think people that come off as harsh just try to avoid the consequences of ignorance and passion comes across as bieng judgemental and rude...

I am not accusing anyone of planning to breed, or trying to start more arguments BUT I have a confession to make that may help someone somewhere think a little bit before making decisions - I wish I owuld have done my research BEFORE and not AFTER my actions...

I was one of the people long ago that got my first pit bull and "let her have a litter" I was a genuis.

If I could take it back I would. I had the hardest time finding real, responsible homes for the pups (adopting to "friends" that like your dog and want one too - doesnt always work in the long run) one pup was euthanized at the shelter because my "friend" was too afrid to tell me he decided a dog was too much for him, when I found out he had taken him to the shelter and got there it was too late for this pup... another "friend" lost a pup. I am still looking and hoping one day I will find her.
Another adopter moved where there was BSL, I now have 2 of the pups back and I am responsible for them forever... I didnt plan on it - but what could I do? I was MY responsibility and I was the reason they were there in the first place.

The parents weren't health tested and I passed on thyriod issues... The dad has Cardiac Disease and guess what? It could show up in the pups...

Basically I know I am probably going to be ripped a new one for this but if my stupidity can save someone from making the mistakes I made then so be it.

My "breeding" and all that I learned from it is why I got involved in rescue and try so hard to help the breed that I love. They deserve people that know better, and people that will alwasy put the best interest of the individual dogs as well as the breed as a whole BEFORE thier own desires of "letting thier dog have babies"

I sure learned the hard way, and sorry guys - I KNOW I was wrong...

Thanks for sharing your story!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:30 am

Nobody's going to "rip you a new one" ;)
Thanks for sharing, and I agree...if it helps prevent the same mistakes from happening again, it is worth it.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:13 pm

I foster and I have intact dogs.

I have commonly pulled dogs myself off CL, friends, acquantances, etc.

I have worked side by side with a couple rescues but not for one.

I have 4 keepers and doubt I will foster again for a while, its just a very full house as it is. But on average I have taken in a couple fosters a year and sure, there have been troubles. I ALWAYS alter fosters prior to placement.

4pits sake
Newborn Bully

Postby 4pits sake » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:02 pm

Why would you bring in a stray when you have puppies that young? (just a simple question not being "cute"...) I mean besides the risk of disease there's so much at risk bringing in a dog with no background info.

Please get off your high horse I wasn't beeing "cute" I was asking are you prepared to take on the responsibilities that a GOOD breeder would if you decided to breed your dog.... I never said when you breed I said before you start to think about breeding...so please don't jump down my thrown for doing something you yourself are guilty off....

JamisPack...GREAT post...thank you!

bogeythebully
Newborn Bully

Postby bogeythebully » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:24 pm

And I'm sure that there is "someone" who will say that it was highly irresponsible of us to bring in a stray with our puppies or whatever, but we didn't know any better at the time.

Why would you bring in a stray when you have puppies that young? (just a simple question not being "cute"...) I mean besides the risk of disease there's so much at risk bringing in a dog with no background info.

Please get off your high horse I wasn't beeing "cute" I was asking are you prepared to take on the responsibilities that a GOOD breeder would if you decided to breed your dog.... I never said when you breed I said before you start to think about breeding...so please don't jump down my thrown for doing something you yourself are guilty off....

I guess someone had to say it. Please read ALL of my post before responding. Thanks

4pits sake
Newborn Bully

Postby 4pits sake » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:56 pm

I did read it.."not knowing any better" is not a reason if someone is going to be a "responsible" breeder. (and I did not say you...I'm saying someone who is thinking they may become a breeder) All I'm saying is someone who decides to become a breeder should do their research before not after they become a breeder..I sometimes get tired taking in their mistakes...
I'm sorry you feel people are picking on you when all you wanted was to volunteer..but sometimes things just get heated when people talk about wanting to breed or they might want to breed in the future to people.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”