Not Bullies, but still they ARE puppies! UPDATE: 08-11-08

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Not Bullies, but still they ARE puppies! UPDATE: 08-11-08

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:35 pm

To make a long story short, these two puppies were brought to our house by our husky mix (the dam really adores him). We scooped them up and have taken them in. However, we are not in a position to keep them.

IF a rescue group will take them in, I can foster for a few weeks (until I leave for my internship). If I can find a home for one or both, GREAT! If nothing changes in the next week or so, I'll take them to the local shelter (sadly, no humane society exists in town) which has a very high kill rate, unfortunately. But they are puppies so even if I do take them there, they have a high likelihood of being adopted.

Without further ado, here's the girls info:

Sire: Yellow Labrador (approx. 95 lbs, no joke)
Dam: Beagle/Rat Terrier (approx. 15 lbs when prego- which is her typical state of being. The Beagle part is for sure, but the rat terrier part is only my best guess)
Color:
Sadie- yellow lab coloring w/ white stripe and snip on face (sorry horse terms are the only ways I know to describe it)
Sally- cream-colored w/ very faint tan cow patches and freckles on her face.
Personality
Both are EXTREMELY quick learners. Too smart for their own good sometimes. Guess that comes from being raised in the woods. Nearly completely potty-trained.
Sadie- very outgoing, "go-go-go", confident girl. Bigger of the two. BALL CRAZY! Unconcerned with the size difference btw her and the horses, donkeys, goats, or the big dogs (ie: her dad and our Great Dane)

Sally- SWEET, sensitive, more reserved, but still happy-go-lucky, likes to cuddle up with something soft. Poor thing is always being picked on by the donkeys or goats or horses or big dogs or cats, when she doesn't stay RIGHT next to your feet. So she might enjoy a home with less animals or one where the animals are gentle.

Health:
They have been dewormed, bathed, de-flead, & de-ticked. They have had their ears cleaned and nails clipped. Sadly, this is all I can afford to do for them. If a rescue would take them in and order their vaccines online, I will give it to them to help save money (I have needles and syringes left over from the goats vaccines). Also there is a low cost 4 low income speuter deal here in town that I'd take them to if I qualify (which as a student I probably do) to also help save money.

Is there anyone out there who can help?

P.S. They are in Decatur, AL. I travel around the south ALOT so I can help with transport if that's an issue.
P.P.S. Pictures to follow soon. Probably tonight when I wake them up to go potty around 11pm-12am.
Last edited by INOCNTKITN187 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:04 pm

Saddie on the left (purple w/ colorful pawprint collar), Sally on the right (hot pink collar)

I know this is a horrible photo, but the camera battery died so its the best I can do for now. BETTER pictures to follow later.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:48 pm

:inlove: :inlove:

Emi
Forum Junky

Postby Emi » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:08 pm

What little cutie pies :) :inlove:

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:23 pm

::bump::

They only have another week or so before I'll have to take them to the shelter.I've contacted the vast majority of rescues in AL and only one offered help. But that help is only possible if the mother and father are speutered, and I'm not in control of that. So I'm quite depressed at the thought of having to take them in, but it might be all thats possible for them.

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Postby RescueAPBT » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:09 pm

INOCNTKITN187 wrote:::bump::

They only have another week or so before I'll have to take them to the shelter.I've contacted the vast majority of rescues in AL and only one offered help. But that help is only possible if the mother and father are speutered, and I'm not in control of that. So I'm quite depressed at the thought of having to take them in, but it might be all thats possible for them.

Wait a minute..you mean to tell me, that a rescue said they would only take the puppies if the parents were to be fixed? Even though the parents (I'm assuming) are your neighbor's dogs? That doesn't seem right to me. Obviously, they must have room for the pups, period. There is no sense in punishing the poor puppies or you, when you aren't the ones who bred them in the first place! I understand their concern that the dogs will just breed again, but damn. I mean, I could see them making this kind of deal if you were the owner of the parents, but geez. That situation just sucks.

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Sorry for the DP.

New photos!

Sally: "Can I pretty please have the seahorse?"

Cuervo: "Nope! Haha. You can't reach it now!"

Cuervo and Sally continue the tossle for the toy, while Saddie comes out to be photogenic. I think she's saying "ADOPT ME"!!!!

Saddie: "Forget you and your camera. I'm going to play."

Sally wins the toy at last :)

Saddie gets tired and comes to snuggle with her sister.

C'mon folks! I know SOMEONE wants a new lab puppy or atleast knows someone that does. I really don't want to have to take them to the shelter. Grr, they are so cute - why isn't anyone interested?

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:48 pm

Yes, they won't take them bc the parents can't be speutered. I told them the mom is a stray that's skittish and slightly fear aggressive towards people (and therefore can't be caught) and that the father belongs to the neighbor. Even though I have no control over the parents they said "Oh, we are in Tuscaloosa, AL and thats too far away. We should stick to animals in our own area."

I should note that Tuscaloosa is like 1:30-2:00 hrs away from here and I offered to transport them ANYWHERE in the southeast. I'll be in Tuscaloosa in about two weeks anyhow. Sadly, out of over 30 groups I sent the email to, that's the only one that responded. I'm getting really discouraged by all this. :frown: It's so frustrating. Rescuing never works out for me!

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Well, bad news. I found the owners of the puppies. Thankfully, they didn't see me. I'm actually quite IRRATE about the whole situation. The male puppy is still alive - thank God- but doesn't look anymore cared for than the females did. So now that I know who the owners are I'm beside myself with rage at them for NEVER containing their female while she's in heat. And I need advice on what to do. Do I complain to AC? There is no leash law here, what can they do? I can't talk to the owners bc that's a house NO ONE bothers. The teenager that used to live there was a self-proclaimed follower of Satan and was constantly vandalizing peoples houses and the schools. The house was frequented by the police and is patrolled by them periodically. The teen also stole cats in the neighborhood to torture and kill around Halloween. Basically, that's NOT an option.

But, now that I can't find ANYWHERE for the pups to go and I can't afford them myself, I feel like I should drop them back off at that house. They ARE their responsibility, certainly not mine. I want to save them (mostly bc they will never be spayed and will eventually contribute to the problem themselves), but I don't know how. Is there anything that can be done? Someone PLEASE end all of this!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I feel a bit better now. Thanks for listening.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:45 pm

I am so sorry. My thoughts? Do not dump them off at the house (they would be MUCH better off at the shelter, I assume they will have a chance at adoption there?) and do not engage AT ALL with the people, you need to think of yourself and they sound super scary - I would not call AC on them either as it may get back that it was you. Some may disagree with me, but chances are high nothing will be done anyway (unfortunately). You can't save them all and you have done well by those two puppies for sure.

Have you checked into low cost or free spay before you take the pups to the shelter or whether, only if it's an option, you could foster for that rescue that would take them but only if conditions were met and they paid the costs?

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:15 pm

I don't know if I would qualify for a discounted spay program or not. If they go on MY income then ABSOLUTELY (poor college graduate here). But if they go on my parents (who probably still claim me on their insurance and who's house I still live at) then definitely not. We went ahead and bought their 7-way puppy shots at the feed store (we were already there and they were only $5/piece, so why not?). Last time I remember bringing an animal into the shelter and telling them its shot records and neuter records, they just smirked and told me they didn't care either way bc they would have the shots done again. They were actually extremely surely and rude. I know its tough on them at the shelter, but I was trying to make their job easier. Anyhow, I'm frustrated and angry and depressed about the whole situation.

I plan on calling the AC tomorrow and asking them if it's acceptable for females in heat to run loose and if this qualifies as a neglect case.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:36 pm

Well I guess you could check into the low cost spay and see how they decide? I can't see them saying no given the situation but who knows.

Sounds like they are not great at that shelter which sucks. :frown:

Good on you for calling AC and again I am sorry for your frustration etc. but you have done and are doing a very good thing and I do hope things turn around.

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:10 pm

Great news!!! Saddie was adopted!

I'm not clever enough to remember to get a pic with my camera, but her and her new mommy make a cute couple! (both are blonde, lol!)

Now, poor Sally is all alone. I thought it would be REALLY hard on her, but she didn't seem to noticed too much. We made sure to play with her more so she wouldn't notice she's alone. Now that she's back at the farm, she has other dogs to play with and doesn't seem too concerned. I'm very worried she won't be adopted in the next two weeks and mom will take her to the shelter. She's SUCH a sensitive/submissive pup! The shelter would break her spirit entirely. Please tell ANYONE who might be interested to come to me!

BudDog
Matured Bully

Postby BudDog » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:42 pm

Maybe contact a service dog person that might want a new dog to train? Or one of those prison dog training programs? I'm trying to think of ideas...lol

I really hope you find a good home for Sally!

Good luck!

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”