Help, my dog was attacked in California

Discuss Breed Specific Legislation and local county laws on pit bull ownership.
Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Help, my dog was attacked in California

Postby Klurejr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:08 pm

So today I forgot some of my medication at home so my wife decided to bring the monsters down to the dog park at Fiesta Island in San Diego so we could meet for lunch and let the dogs get some energy out.
The dog park at Fiesta Island is huge, I mean really big, 97 Acres. The park has beach, dunes, tall grass and a few trees.
Right away they started meeting new friends (like they do all the time on our local dog trails) and were having a great time. We sat and ate our sandwiches and worked our way to the beach to head back to the cars. about 200 yards from the parking lot a man and women were approaching and they had a large dog (about 90-100lbs) and a tiny thing that probably weighed 2-3lbs.

The big dog came over and said hello, no problems.

As we drew closer the small dog started running around so my dog started to chase it, the same way they had been chasing other dogs for the past 45 min.

All of a sudden the small dog starts to scream out like it was being attacked, my dogs had not attacked it, in fact neither of them had gotten close enough to smell it.

This is when it all went wrong, the big dog immediately attacked my 4 year old.

I do not blame the big dog, he was probably concerned the little dog was in trouble.

my one year old puppy ran over as well to protect his big sister. I was able to grab the puppy right away but it took about 20-30 seconds for my wife and the man (frank i learned was his name) to get them separated.

The big dog had a puncture wound in his lower lip, but other than that looked fine from what I could see.

My Abi girl had a few cuts, one near her eye, one on each cheek, and possibly a cut in her mouth.

I saw the entire thing as just an unfortunate incident that could of been avoided if that woman had not brought her whiny screaming dog to the park, but trying to be calm I was willing to let the entire thing go and just move on with my day. The woman was not going to let it go.

Frank admitted to me (the two are just friends) that the little dog has done this before where is screams like murder at any interaction with other dogs, in fact on the walk back to the parking lot it did it again with another group of dogs. I was surprised the big dog did not move in for the kill a second time on that other group. I am kicking myself for not having my camera up filming her and her dogs as we walked back to the cars.

Once all the dogs are settled she starts up again about this and that. Honestly I just tried to block her out because she was highly emotional and I knew that it would be best if I just talked to Frank since he was very calm and level headed, in fact he also owns a pitbull, but his is not dog friendly at all and cannot go to the park.

This is the first time I have ever taken my dogs to any dog park, the one by my house is really small and always crowded.

So, this is where I need your help. Neither of my dogs is licensed or registered with the county/city/state, and I told that to the lady, I was not about to lie.

If she contacts Animal control, what can/will they do about it? I was very honest and gave them all my info, and frank got me all of hers. I would rather let the entire issue go even though I feel very strongly that she is more in the wrong than I am. But in the end it is really not worth my time. My girl Abi has only been in a fight with one other dog in her life, and that was her mom. And the last time that happened she got busted up pretty bad but did not need a vet visit. I had to go back to work and wont be able to give her a full exam until I get home tonight, but I am pretty sure she will be fine.

I really am not interested in paying this ladies vet bills if she takes her dog into the vet.

There is a good chance Frank can calm her down and she wont do anything, but if she does what should I be expecting?

I don't take my dog to the vet for shots, I have purchased them all at a local feed store and give them myself, so I am not sure how to prove them have had their shots.

Should I run out and get them licensed? Personally I think having to pay the government to have a dog is a waste of time and money, but I also do not want my dog taken from me over something so petty.

If anyone has experience with this sort of thing please let me know.

Here are a few pics of them having fun before they were attacked:

Curly_07

Re: Help, my dog was attacked in California

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Hate to say it, but 100% your fault. It's law to license them. You can administer the shots, but you have to send off the info to register them. Also, have you not read the dog park sticky? You set your dogs up to fail by taking them to a place they shouldn't be...they don't meet the legal requirements to be there. Besides dog parks just being a bad idea. For your dogs' sake, I hope everything works out ok. Don't expect too much support here for your negligence. Be responsible now and do what you need to get them registered and offer to pay medical bills.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Postby Klurejr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Curly_07 wrote:Hate to say it, but 100% your fault. It's law to license them. You can administer the shots, but you have to send off the info to register them. Also, have you not read the dog park sticky? You set your dogs up to fail by taking them to a place they shouldn't be...they don't meet the legal requirements to be there. Besides dog parks just being a bad idea. For your dogs' sake, I hope everything works out ok. Don't expect too much support here for your negligence. Be responsible now and do what you need to get them registered and offer to pay medical bills.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

I am not sure I follow, how is it my fault if my dog was attacked?

Just not having a license does not put me at fault.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:34 pm

Dog parks are accidents waiting to happen, you have no control over who brings what dog and even if your dogs are well socialized people often bring dogs that have no business being there.

Here's the whole thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50274

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Problem is when and if word gets around about this you have fed into stereotypes about pitbulls and their owners..that they are too casual for the breed they own. Wouldnt you rather have people say how responsible you are? Sorry, the bar is way higher for us bc we are under a microscope and the fate of the breed is in your hands too. Just move on...many of us have made mistakes..we can only learn from them.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Postby Klurejr » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:06 pm

I spoke to a good friend who has been a APBT owner for many years and he just plain avoids the dog parks, and I think I will do so from now on as well. He also mentioned that licensed or not in a he said/she said situation the local City has very little it can do to enforce something after the fact. The dog park we were in is not even in the city I live in. It is a shame because this particular paris so big open and nice, and I could tell my kids were having a great time meeting new friends chasing and getting chased and rolling in the grass and general off leash fun. I even had an off-duty police officer come up to me after the incident to make sure everyone was okay, she did not see the fight, but knew something happened and re-assured me that she saw my dogs playing with others and that they showed no aggression and were interacting very normally.

The woman called me up to see how my girl was doing. I think her friend convinced her that her dog was the victor in the whole thing and I think she was finally feeling some remorse over the situation. Her dog is fine, my dog is fine. Hopefully she can just leave it at that.

Time to just move on. In the past 3 years that I have had my girl this was the first time to a dog park, first time being attacked by something other than a small yippy dog(in every case she has just backed off from them and given me a look like "What the heck was that about?"), and her first time being off leash.

I will just stick to my local trails.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Klurejr, I don't understand how she could have gone after you-you said her bigger dog attacked your dog first, correct? If anything comes of it, I would stand your ground and fight it. If her little dog hadn't screamed, her big dog also wouldn't have gone after your dog and she's lucky you're not going after her for vet bills.

As far as the other stuff. I think the more responsible a PB owner becomes, the more likely they are to avoid the dog parks. Even if you happen to have a very dog-friendly (and appropriate) dog...it simply isn't worth the possible hassle. This situation could have turned into some crazy media story. If you vaccinate your dogs on your own-that's fine...cool even, but follow up with the proof of that. Don't leave your dogs out "hanging" over some simple paperwork-it isn't worth it, you know.

Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Postby Klurejr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:08 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:Klurejr, I don't understand how she could have gone after you-you said her bigger dog attacked your dog first, correct? If anything comes of it, I would stand your ground and fight it. If her little dog hadn't screamed, her big dog also wouldn't have gone after your dog and she's lucky you're not going after her for vet bills.

It would become a he-said/she-said type of deal in the end since there is no video proof.

Honestly I do not think she saw what happened since her little dog was running in circles around her feet when the big one lunged for my girl. My wife and I were about 10-15 feet away and watched the whole thing happen in what felt like slow motion but was actually super fast.

I have no interest in litigation even though I firmly feel it was her little dogs fault. If she continues to take both those dogs to the dog park again the same exact thing will happen, and next time her big dog might snap the neck of a smaller one.

Really she should leave the little one at home and only bring her big dog as he was getting along with mine just fine until the little one screamed.

She seemed very un-nerved about the whole situation and from my limited interaction with her she seemed like a typical small dog owner you see on Dog-Whisperer that allows her fears to show so strongly her dogs reflect her personality. Just because your dog is small does not mean your dog is well behaved or should go out in public.

PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:54 am

Sadly this could have been avoided, dogs of any breed don't belong in a dogpark. I would go to the vet and get both vaccinated, even if you did it yourself, and registrate them.

I think america (I live in europe) is stupid having people registrate their animals, but it is the law. And responsible pitbull owners should follow it even more then normal ''lab'' owners. Second get in touch with the owner of the other dog that got hurt, don't start over ''who's fault'' it was, just go over there and volunteer to pay the bills and check in how their dogs are doing. And say it was just a stupid accident. It sucks, paying the bills but...how do they say it, you catch more bees with honey? be kind and caring, then its less likely they will do anything with the whole fight if you cooperate and just be friendly. You did the right thing by being honest. If they do happen to make a big deal of this, i would fight back hard and try to find people who saw the fight, were your dogs leashed?

anyway good luck, these things Always suck and happen to good people all the time. but next time, don't go to dogparks, because you won't be the first who's dogs get blamed and end up getting put down, for defending itself.

Return to “Laws”