Urgent, Monroe WA

Discuss Breed Specific Legislation and local county laws on pit bull ownership.
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:10 pm

Oh!!! I'm so glad she's on board, Manu. Isn't she heading up WACA still? If so, that'd be stellar to get a statement from then on WHY, exactly, this isn't a good idea since, clearly, Monroe's AC has zero knowledge on how this is hurtful to so many and won't help anyone. All are harmed by this type of legislation - either directly (us) or by being lulled into a false sense of security.

Bleh - see you tomorrow.

~k.

r6nikki
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby r6nikki » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:21 pm

Manu - Don't worry about the sign. I'll make sure we've got one to hand you. One of our missions tonight is to complete as many signs as possible. FABB has banners covered for sure, and I'm still unsure about flyers and other publications. We are working on it though :thumbsup:

LeighAnn - I'll see you in a few hours, I'll bring posterboard. I'll catch you up to date on some things, and perhaps ease some of your specific concerns.

Our goal tomorrow is to raise public awareness. Our goal for the following Saturday (more protests) will again, be to raise awareness.

Akita, Kuvasz (all 2 of them in the State) & Stafford people will be there. Each breed club is hosting a meeting before the public hearing date as well. There will be a lot of support, without doubt.

We are punching holes through State Law, municiple codes, and surrounding ordinances to come up with a reasonable proposal. We will be speaking to city council members directly this upcoming week and providing an alternative drafted proposal to them, asking questions, and hopefully answering some. We will be leaving duplicate copies, on the desks of anyone in council that we may miss.

Let's focus our efforts on the protest right now. I'd like to urge ANYONE to come out tomorrow. However, as stated before (most) dogs should stay at home.

Kirstan and Stormi, I'll call you about this evenings plans.

r6nikki
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby r6nikki » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:44 am

:coffee: Manu, I made you a sign, come find me. lol

Rugersmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby Rugersmama » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:51 pm

It's raining cats & dogs!! :crybaby: I'm worried that all of our signs are going to get ruined.....

I'll see you all at noon - but if it's still like this, may I suggest we move inside the Starbucks to work on drafting a DDLaw that works and is non-discriminatory?

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:38 pm

I'll be there, but I don't know how long I can stay. Being 8 mos pregnant and already having contractions, I don't think standing for a long time is in my best interest. :sad:
I will be at the meeting at Sam's though!

Rugersmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby Rugersmama » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:26 pm

Yay!! It stopped raining & the sun came out.....

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:41 pm

As of 2pm, there was only a small turn-out including someone from FABBSeatle. Where was everyone?!

Rugersmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby Rugersmama » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:57 pm

I was at the rally today and the turnout was disappointing, however I think there were a number of factors contributing:
-short notice
-change in location

So if the rally is still on for next Saturday, let's do it up right!
Location?? Time??

If the word to goes out now - people can plan ahead and hopefully the turnout will be larger.

Also, let's increase the advertising for this issue.

Has everyone placed information about this on their:
-myspace pages
-facebook pages
-anyone placing a craigslist ad to incite better turnout next Sat?
-company intranets
-breeder websites (hello WA breeders - haven't heard from a single one of you on this issue yet!!!!!! You talk the talk - now's the time to walk the walk!!!!)
-dogster sites
-blogs
-local print/online news outlets

Has anyone contacted the media to cover the event next Saturday? We have an entire week to plan and prepare - so let's do it!

Good luck & I'll see you guys at the hearing!

XDogs
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby XDogs » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:56 pm

while the turnout was rather minimal.. it was a start and pretty good for just a few day's notice. Hopefully, more people will be able to come.

I was really impressed by the little old lady who rolled down her window in support and said: that's the way to go!!. It made me think back to when I lived in Germany and public demonstrations and involvement was so much more prevalent than here. C'mon guys.. people can make a difference by getting out there and recruiting support. Just look at how the presidential race was won.. my hope for this country has been renewed, now we have to keep on kicking!

To Kirstan: I reread Jan's post and it states that she contacted Mitch. Jan is also still affiliated with WACA (which, as she states, is against BSL), so that will be one major help.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:08 pm

Kirstan, I know you were talking to Sam as well... I'd bet he would post something on his website as well as in the store. I will call him tomorrow about it also.

r6nikki
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby r6nikki » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:37 pm

Well, I was also a bit dissapointed in todays turnout considering the LARGE number of people that showed interest and intent on coming.

There was still positive support from people driving past, as hopefully we sparked more community interest on the issue. Even though our group was small.

I'm thrilled that is wasn't raining (yay, we can reuse our signs next week) I'll be working on more signs as well as banners, and hopefully next weekend we will have more hands to hold them. I'm thinking banner drops too.

I also think we should make lots of flyers (approx 1000 printed off at Kinkos) As it's diffucult to explain the issue to people who are waiting for the light to turn green.

Rally # 2: Saturday November 15th 12 noon. Where 522 becomes HWY2, we will be 1 block East at the 1st Light ( by Denny's)

Rugersmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby Rugersmama » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:06 pm

That intersections is perfect! I think I sat through 2 lights going in both directions - so you'll have a captive audience!!!

And I wanted to say to the forum at large - yesterday was my first ever protest/rally and I was a bit nervous - like are people going to be annoyed with us? would there be any negative reaction? etc.....

And it was actually the opposite - A LOT of cars passing honked or waved - clearly in support of our message. I actually really enjoyed it. Holding a sign - waving to passing cars. Tha'ts all you have to do. And you get to meet people from the forum and from the anti-BSL community at large. It's worth a few hours of your time - you'll definitely not regret it!

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:28 pm

Nikki, call Kool Change Printing in Monroe (360) 794-9019 and explain to them what's going on-they may give a discount on printing. It's worth a shot.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:38 pm

anyone down for a signage party this week? we had a lot of great ones, but I think it might help even more to have a few made up specifically towards what monroe city coucil is proposing, rather than just "no bsl".

its too bad your general joe shmoe doesn't know what a CGC is, because that portion is just flat out absurd.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:02 pm

Stormi wrote:
its too bad your general joe shmoe doesn't know what a CGC is, because that portion is just flat out absurd.

Not to mention just because a dog wouldn't pass the CGC doesn't mean its a dangerous or "potentially" dangerous dog.
Neither of mine would pass it. My hound doesn't walk on a loose leash despite over a year of weekly classes (too excited to meet everyone), and my APBT screams if I leave her with a stranger. She is also inclined to talk doggy smack when passing other females. Proper management has kept her from being in any fights.

Return to “Laws”