Urgent, Monroe WA

Discuss Breed Specific Legislation and local county laws on pit bull ownership.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:34 pm

we'll, the proposed ordinance states that if a dog not of the selected breeds considered to be dangerous has a bite history or mauls someone, all that dog has to do is pass the CGC and all is forgiven and forgotten. I'm sorry, but that is poop. I've known dogs with obdeience titles, faar more tough to get than a CGC, with aggression issues. Just because a dog can kinda sorta walk on a loose-ish lead, sit, walk past another dog without being too reactive and not throw a fit when left with a stanger for 3 minutes does not prove that this dog, if put in the right situation, will not bite again. what if this dog offended on a child that simply tired to hug the dog? the CGC is not going to protect another child from being harmed by a long shot.

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:41 am

Stormi wrote:we'll, the proposed ordinance states that if a dog not of the selected breeds considered to be dangerous has a bite history or mauls someone, all that dog has to do is pass the CGC and all is forgiven and forgotten. I'm sorry, but that is poop. I've known dogs with obdeience titles, faar more tough to get than a CGC, with aggression issues. Just because a dog can kinda sorta walk on a loose-ish lead, sit, walk past another dog without being too reactive and not throw a fit when left with a stanger for 3 minutes does not prove that this dog, if put in the right situation, will not bite again. what if this dog offended on a child that simply tired to hug the dog? the CGC is not going to protect another child from being harmed by a long shot.
Right, it's the usual problem with legislation -- most real-life situations just can't satisfactorily be painted with the broad brush of the law.

OTOH, if an owner actually invests enough time to fine out what a CGC is and acquire it for their dogs, that makes me feel they're more likely than the average schmoe to keep an eye on their dogs and practice reasonable management.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:44 pm

It would also guarantee that the dog is licensed, since that is a requirement for passing the CGC. Granted, they may not renew the tag in a year...

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Link to petition as well.
http://www.stop-bsl.com/petitions/monro ... uncil_1108. pdf

Hopefully the link works. If not, e-mail me and I can send you the pdf.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:13 pm

RodentRanger wrote:It would also guarantee that the dog is licensed, since that is a requirement for passing the CGC. Granted, they may not renew the tag in a year...

true true. And that could add to a propsal Julie and I were talking about, so I suppose its not all bad. I just find it absurd that if a golden retriever has a CGC, and mauls someone, there are no charges against the dog, but if a pit bull is simply born its declared potentially dangerous.... arg. BSL sucks.

.... that aside, I'm going to make up some flyers that we will be able to pass out on Saturday. We'll be right next to a huge shopping mecca, so it might be really beneficial if we have enough people to send a couple out to hand flyers out to interested shoppers, and also to hand to any interested folks who might be stuck at the red light.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:28 pm

What about having copies of the petition for people to sign so community support can be demonstrated?

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:34 pm

RodentRanger wrote:What about having copies of the petition for people to sign so community support can be demonstrated?

Excellent!

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:56 pm

From the Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue Yahoo group:
For those in a mood, you can contact Sam at Sam's Cats and Dogs
Naturally, who may be organizing a rally or march to the meeting from
his store.

The number at the store is 360-805-5060. I haven't talked to Sam today, but will call him now to confirm this.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:59 pm

From the Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue Yahoo group:
For those in a mood, you can contact Sam at Sam's Cats and Dogs
Naturally, who may be organizing a rally or march to the meeting from
his store.

The number at the store is 360-805-5060.

http://stopbsl.com/2008/11/10/monroe-wa ... v-18-7-pm/

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Does anyone have the contact info for FABB? Sam does want to organize a march on City Hall. He has an e-mail list going (call the store to be added), and is hoping for HUNDREDS of people. He is planning on contacting all of his customer base to notify them of this proposal.
He has asked that I e-mail him any info I have, but I really don't have much that hasn't been posted here. Stormi, Kirstan and Nikki, I am PM'ing you with the e-mail address.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:01 pm

Kirstan, how are you planning on defining "contained/containment" in the changed proposal? There is a PB that lives downtown not far from the post office who is technically contained. He's chained, but his chain is long enough that he is able to go outside of his shrub "fence" and stand in the gutter of the street.
For anyone who wants to be on Sam's e-mail list, send an e-mail to Samscatsanddogs@gmail.com titled BSL. He is organizing a march from his store to city hall on Tuesday the 18th.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:24 pm

RodentRanger wrote:Kirstan, how are you planning on defining "contained/containment" in the changed proposal? There is a PB that lives downtown not far from the post office who is technically contained. He's chained, but his chain is long enough that he is able to go outside of his shrub "fence" and stand in the gutter of the street.

I hope we'd be including the fact that chaining is an accident waiting to happen and not a suitable form of containment.

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:38 pm

Crossposted:

I checked the agenda for tonight's city council meeting, and it does not include any discussion related to a vicious dog ordinance and/or animal control ordinance. However, it does specifically state the agenda can be changed without notice.

If anyone is in Monroe this evening, it might be a good idea to attend the council meeting.

Original alert posted below.

Jodi Preis
Bless the Bullys
www.blessthebullys.com

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:58 pm

My understanding from the meeting we had at Sam's last night is that they don't have it listed on the agenda for next week either. They are trying to avoid people showing up.

r6nikki
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby r6nikki » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:50 pm

Lovely, of course they are.

Return to “Laws”