Urgent, Monroe WA

Discuss Breed Specific Legislation and local county laws on pit bull ownership.
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:09 pm

Containment is defined as dog on leash under the control of someone strong enough, and 18 and over (sorry to those who aren't -not my issue) OR behind a fence tall enough and strong enough with a strong enough latch to prohibit the dog from getting out. Should said dog still get out, owner will be fined substantially and will undergo a mandatory containment check. If a dog can jump a 6' fence (and WILL jump the fence) then the owner will provide kenneling with a top panel to prohibit dog from leaving fenced area. Dogs will not be on chains outside a fence. Dogs chained outside fences get tagged by other dogs, bothered by cats and teased by children.

Containment: the act, process, or means of containing
Contain: to keep within limits

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:42 pm

very well put.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:32 pm

I figured you'd have that covered. :thumbsup:
Does anyone know where the dogs who "started it" live?
The lady (Lara/Laura?) last night was saying the dogs live out on Woods Creek Rd, but there is only one (I think) house on that road before you are outside city limits (and in 4 years I never once saw a dog of any flavor there), so 1) the Monroe ACO wouldn't have been the one to respond, it would have been in County jurisdiction and 2) this legislation would not apply to them anyhow.

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:32 am

Monroe, WA: Hearing for proposed BSL on Nov. 18, 7 pm
Posted on November 10, 2008 by stopbslcom

Area residents, please plan to be present at the city council meeting where proposed BSL will be heard. The city council has not been listening to their constituents; a large body of people is needed to make a visible statement.

When
November 18, 2008
7:00 PM

Where
City Council Chambers, City Hall, 806 W Main St , Monroe , WA 98272

The agenda can be viewed here (page 4):
http://www.ci. monroe.wa. us/citygov/ council/packets/ 2008/111208. pdf?RecID= 197

Original articles about this issue can be viewed here:

http://stopbsl. com/2008/ 11/04/monroe- wa-article- proposed- change-to- monroe-dog- ordinance- raises-some- hackles-bsl- proposed/

http://stopbsl. com/2008/ 11/01/monroe- wa-bsl-proposed- may-pass- without-public- hearing/

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:18 pm

WASHINGTON RESIDENTS and anyone else who would not mind obliging us:

To all the Washington residents who've written into Council, thank you! To those of you who have not... what are you waiting for? PLEASE email asap to council. THey've MAYBE received 100 emails. Get on it!

To those of you who SAID you'd do it and haven't, shame on you! What are you waiting for? There are people working day and night and driving insane distances so that those of us who have 'these breeds' can keep having them. Get on it!!

Seriously, people, 100 emails??? That's IT? In a town who hosts the weight pulls and dog shows?

Step up the efforts or this will be enacted.

Kirstan

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:39 pm

PROPOSED BSL IN MONROE, WA
Reply to: comm-915942797@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-11-12, 7:39AM

I KNOW THIS IS LONG, BUT PLEASE TAKE A MINUTE TO READ AND HELP IF YOU CAN BY SIGNING AND FAXING IN THE PETITION AT THE BOTTOM. BREED SPECIFIC LEGISLATION AFFECTS US ALL... HOW LONG UNTIL YOUR BELOVED PET IS UNFAIRLY TARGETED?

Everyone, Please sign and send in this petition ASAP!!!! If you can attend the meeting listed- I URGE you to do so! BSL can be stopped, we just have to take a stand! I am going to send this information to news stations in the area and local papers in Monroe. I ask others to please do the same. If they get multiple requests to cover the story they might actually do it.
Please Cross post Information:
In Monroe, WA some ignorant council members are proposing the addition of breed specific language which would make several breeds inherently "dangerous" in the city of Monroe.
This alert was sent out by an informed member of the council who is asking for the publics help in stopping this. He is the only reason why there is even a public meeting on the matter as other council members wanted to forgo it but he motioned to have a meeting.
Stop-bsl.com has posted a petition which can be mailed or faxed to city council member Mitch Ruth. He will make sure ALL statements, letters and petitions make it to the city council meeting on the 18th of this month at 7pm.
Anyone in the Monroe, WA area who can attend PLEASE DO!
This is a big deal, the Snohomish County Council is AGAINST BSL and many ALL BREED and even APBT ONLY events are held in Monroe at the Evergreen State Fairgrounds. The director of the fairgrounds has even spoken out against this.
Below is the information sent to me from Mitch Ruth.
Original Message
Date: Thursday, October 30, 2008, 1:46 PM
Greetings,
My name is Mitch Ruth; I am a Councilman for the City of Monroe. I need your help in rallying those who may also be in opposition to breed specific laws. Currently before the City Council of Monroe is a new ordinance which would list the following breeds as "Potentially Dangerous";
• Akita
• American Pit Bull Terrier
• Cane Corso
• Dogo Argentino
• Dogue de Bordeaux
• Kuvasz
• Pit Bull Terrier
• Presa Carnario
• Staffordshire Bull Terrier
• Tosa Inu
• Or, any mix of dog which contains as an element of its breeding, any of the afore mentioned breeds.
By ordinance, the definition of "potentially dangerous" would mean; ".any dog which inflicts bites upon humans or domestic animal, or chases or approaches a person upon the streets, sidewalks, or any public grounds in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, or any dog with a known propensity, tendency or disposition to attack unprovoked, to cause injury or otherwise threaten the safety of humans or domestic animals. Potentially dangerous dog also means any dog that is known by the owner or should be reasonably be known by the owner to be an. [Insert above list of breeds]".
In other words, by owning a dog on this list, you understand that "it" has a propensity for unprovoked attacks and is a danger to humans and domestic animals. This law would be very similar to that of Auburn, Washington; which in my opinion is the worst in our state, and one of the worst in the country.
This has come about because of several recent back to back incidents involving one single irresponsible pit bull owner. I do not contest in any way that decisive action is needed in these incidents. But to penalize every innocent dog/dog owner on this list is unwarranted and unjust. I vigorously oppose this law as proposed. But I am only one vote. I need your help, and the help of others to prevent this from becoming the first step in a breed specific ban. I have proposed that any reference to specific breeds be stricken, and the individual behavior of the dog be sole the guiding factor in determining whether a dog is potentially/ actually dangerous. I support stiff penalties and strict liability for those dog owners whose irresponsible actions threaten the public safety, or cause actual harm/damage others and/or their property. This should be of concern to all dog owners, not just the owners of those breeds who have arbitrarily and capriciously made the
above list. Unjust and unwarranted laws that trample upon the rights of owners of specific dog breeds diminish the rights of all dog owners.
Please spread the word. This is likely to become law within the next 30-45 days. Feel free to post this email anywhere it might help and to share my contact information as well. I will share any/all emails and letters of opposition with the entire council. Rather than allow this to fly under the radar and be passed without public hearing or comment, I have demanded a public hearing before this goes to the final vote of the council. I encourage as many as possible to attend the public hearing. If attendance is out of the question, please make your feelings known through emails and phone calls. I will ensure that each and every email becomes a part of the public record/testimony against the passage of this law. If you wish to address the entire council in one email, please use; councilmembers@ ci.monroe. wa.us
The public hearing for the matter is scheduled for November 18th at 7:00pm in Council Chambers at the Monroe City Hall. It is possible that final action could be taken at that meeting.

http://www.stop-bsl.com/petition.html SIGN AND FAX/MAIL PLEASE!!!!
Cross post EVERYWHERE!!!! Thanks. . .Stop-BSL.com

Original URL:http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pet/915942797.html

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:23 am

I am printing out a massive amount of the petitions,,,,and will be handing them out,,,as well as having people I know sign them,,,,and will FAX them myself!

See you on Sat.? is the meet up still on?

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:11 am

Saturday at noon!!! PM any of us that have posted on this thread if you need directions :thumbsup:

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:04 pm

Crossposted...

Just to reiterate my telephone conversation with the Moses Lake city clerk yesterday, this ordinance still requires one more reading. The clerk's office is happy to forward correspondence and documentation to the city officials for their consideration, but they must receive it no later than November 20.

Polite and respectful correspondence can be sent to the city clerk via snail mail or fax at:

City Clerk
City of Moses Lake
P.O. Box 1579
321 S. Balsam Street
Moses Lake, WA 98837
Phone: (509) 766-9201
Fax: (509) 766-9392

Finally, the public can speak at the city council meeting on November 25, and you do not need to put yourself on the agenda ahead of time.

Jodi Preis
Bless the Bullys
www.blessthebullys. com

Moses Lake to regulate pit bulls
Posted: Thursday, Nov 13, 2008 - 03:05:08 pm PST
Email this story Printer friendly version
By Candice Boutilier
Herald staff writer

City declares animals hazardous

MOSES LAKE - Moses Lake City Council approved an ordinance declaring pit bulls hazardous dogs and amended an ordinance adding requirements to register any dog with the city.

The ordinance and ordinance amendment were passed on the first reading Tuesday night. The ordinance requires a second reading and approval from council to be a law. The next reading is scheduled for Nov. 25 at 7 p.m.

Mayor Ron Covey told the audience the council would not listen to any public testimony during the first reading. Council listened to public testimony at a previous meeting and gathered information from a committee created to suggest modifications to the ordinances. He said council will listen to public testimony about the issue at the Nov. 25 council meeting instead.

City Manager Joe Gavinski told council he wrote the ordinances after listening to council concerns during a past meeting.
Covey said since there is strong opposition to banning pit bulls, the city will become more rigid with enforcing regulation of the animals.

A hazardous dog includes any dog known to be a pit bull terrier breed including the American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier or the American Staffordshire Terrier, according to the ordinance.

A hazardous dog can include other dogs if it has a tendency to attack unprovoked or causes injury or endanger humans or other animals. The definition includes any dog that frequently snarls, growls, snaps, threatens or jumps at a person on public property.

The dog owner would be required to confine the dog in a secure enclosure and post signs indicating there is a hazardous dog, if the ordinance passes. The dog would be required to have a microchip installed and be spayed or neutered. The dog owner would be required to have a $250,000 insurance policy on the animal in case it harms someone.

It was previously proposed the dog owner be required to have a $250,000 surety bond but council chose to eliminate the requirement.

Councilmember Richard Pearce said he didn't think citizens would be able to obtain insurance for an animal if it's declared hazardous.

"It's a privilege, not a right to have a vicious animal," Councilmember James Liebrecht said.

He said it's unacceptable to have animals that could harm someone in the city.

Pearce said the committee is against including specific breeds in the ordinance because there are many kinds of dogs that can be dangerous and it would be difficult to enforce.

Covey said law enforcement needs guidelines so they can handle pit bulls and other hazardous dogs.

Police Chief Dean Mitchell said Moses Lake has a pit bull population much higher than other communities.

Whether there are regulations or not, police will deal with pit bulls everyday anyway, he said. He was not sure if adding more regulation would add more work for police.

Councilmember Brent Reese said he is against regulating a specific breed because many types of dogs can attack and not all pit bulls are violent.

"A bad dog is a bad dog," he said.

Liebrecht said he is concerned for the safety of police because they deal with pit bulls everyday.

Pearce motioned to approve the ordinance stating although he does not agree with all the stipulations in the ordinance, he wanted to allow public input at the next meeting on the issue. Liebrecht seconded the motion.

It passed 5-1 with Reese voting no.

Council approved an ordinance amendment increasing requirements to register all animals in the city after the first reading. It must be approved again to be adopted.

All dog owners would be required to submit a file containing information related to the animal when registering it at the Moses Lake Police Department, if the ordinance passes.

The file would include the dog's birth date, breed, name, statement of how the dog was obtained, when it was brought into the city and veterinary records. If applicable, the file would also contain enforcement action taken against the animal, animal shelter records, training records, temperance tests and obedience class information.

To register a dog that is not spayed or neutered, it would cost $150. The current cost is $30.

"I think it's too much," Councilmember Brent Reese said about the registration fee. "I don't see a lot of people paying that."

He said the fee is too high and sometimes people don't alter their dogs to breed them.

Covey said people sell puppies for much more than the annual fee.

Councilmember Bill Ecret said the fee acts as a deterrent to animal overpopulation in the city and at Grant County Animal Outreach.

"I think it's perfect," he said.

Ecret motioned to approve the ordinance amendment and Liebrecht seconded the motion.

The motion passed 5-1 with Reese voting against it due to the $150 registration fee.

Councilmember Dick Deane was absent from the meeting.

Covey encourages citizens to attend the next meeting when they discuss the hazardous dog ordinance and the animal control ordinance amendment again.

If citizens want to submit documents to be included in the agenda packet, they must be submitted to Executive Secretary Maxine Ivory at Moses Lake City Hall by Nov. 20.

http://www.columbia basinherald. com/articles/ 2008/11/13/ news/nw5. 11.13.08. txt

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:00 pm

We'll expect to see all of you who can/will make it in Monroe at the Hwy522/Hwy 2 interchange or the Lewis St./2 or the Kelsey St./2 intersection. You'll see some of us - please come on down and grab a sign and some flyers. Please don't bring dogs as there is a lot of exhaust and too much traffic and we're occupying small spaces in well-traveled areas.

Thanks - please come.

kirstan

r6nikki
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby r6nikki » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:33 pm

At 11:45 am I'll be at the StarBucks (Hwy 522/ Hwy 2 interchange) with a trunk full of signs to hand out. If you want a sign (or want to grab the pile) please come find me, I'll be in the black S4 parked in front

I'll have my 16 month old son with me, so I won't be able to stay for too long, unfortunately. I couldn't find a sitter, sorry guys.

Kirstan and Stormi, please call me later today so we can catch up on some other Monroe details.

r6nikki
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby r6nikki » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:45 pm

Sorry for the doublepost.

What gives? This forum has over 6500 users, many of which live in the PNW, who I presume own a targeted breed on this list. Why is there only a small number of us fighting for all of our dogs?

Step up to the plate people, if you are not active now, you might not have the opportunity to be later. If this passes, it's yet another nail in the coffin. If you care about the fate of our dogs, please make your voice heard.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:23 pm

I need to help Sam find pics like the ones on the Find The Pit Bull test that will print poster size. He wants pics of bullies, non-bullies and non-bullies that look like bullies. (Anyone else have a problem with them being called "bullies"?)

Also, FYI for anyone on his mailing list that has not received an e-mail: His address is being flagged as spam, so check your spam box too.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:30 pm

RodentRanger wrote:I need to help Sam find pics like the ones on the Find The Pit Bull test that will print poster size. He wants pics of bullies, non-bullies and non-bullies that look like bullies. (Anyone else have a problem with them being called "bullies"?)

Also, FYI for anyone on his mailing list that has not received an e-mail: His address is being flagged as spam, so check your spam box too.

Hey, I posted a thread in the gallery titled "fun with BSL" thats directed at the similarities between the kuvasz and othe popular "all american" breeds. You're welcome to use those photos. I managed to get them to print fairly well at 8x10... although I don't know how well theyd work larger than that.

CHAKO has some great bully look a like photos, but I don't know how large they'll print.

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:39 pm

I prefer bull breeds instead of bullies but it's a personal thing.

Return to “Laws”