Heads up Garfield, NJ

Discuss Breed Specific Legislation and local county laws on pit bull ownership.
stache612
Newborn Bully

Heads up Garfield, NJ

Postby stache612 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:23 pm

MAY 11th in Garfield, there's a hearing to propose BSL - BREED SPECIFIC LEGISLATION. Write a letter to Mayor Frank Calandriello and the Garfield City Council and politely ask them to oppose this measure. All letters should be mailed to the following address: Garfield City Council111 Outwater LaneGarfield, New Jersey 07026* Attend the May 11 public hearing and respectfully express your concerns with this proposal. Contact the City Clerk's office at (973) 340-2001 for more information on this hearing. When I have more information I will post it.

-Stacey

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Re: Heads up Garfield, NJ

Postby willyg44 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:18 pm

I just found out about this, I used to live the next town over. Ugh, it kills me. Can I still write a letter if I don't live in Garfield?

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:31 pm

New Jersey state law prohibits breed specific legislation.

City of Garfield

111 Outwater Lane

Garfield, New Jersey 07026

City Manager's Office
(973) 340-2000 (973) 340-2000

City Clerk
(973) 340-2001 (973) 340-2001

Mayor’s Office
(973) 340-2439 (973) 340-2439

Ordinance would make new requirements for Garfield pit bull owners
Monday, April 19, 2010
BY ERIN PATRICIA GRIFFITHS
Community News (Garfield Edition)
COMMUNITY NEWS
City of Garfield residents who own pit bulls will have to comply with new requirements or face a penalty if they do not, if an ordinance passes on final reading and adoption on April 27.

The ordinance, which passed in a 4-0 vote on April 12, with Deputy Mayor Stanley Moskal abstaining, will require that pit bull owners not only have their canines on a leash when walking them, but must also muzzle their pets. In addition, certain insurance requirements must be met.

"If they are on the street, they have to be on a leash and they have to be muzzled," said Councilwoman Tana Raymond in a phone interview.

The ordinance defines pit bulls as "any canine bred or used for fighting other animals or with people" and includes the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, the American Pit Bull Terrier, and "dogs that have the appearance and characteristics of being predominantly of the breeds of dogs known as" the three breeds listed in the definition.

Any Garfield resident owning a pit bull must obtain a special license from the city within 30 days of the adoption of the ordinance. No pit bulls are permitted to "run at large" on any street, public area or building other than that of the owner and must be restrained by a leash that has a "minimum tensile strength of 300 pounds" and restricts movement to a radius of less than 3 feet from the owner. Additionally, the ordinance reads that "such pit bull is prevented from biting by having its jaws confined by a securely fastened muzzle."

At the time of registration and application for the special license, the owner must also provide a proof of liability insurance, or a bond, of at least $50,000 for coverage of any damage or injury that might be caused by the animal.

Anyone under the age of 18 is not permitted to own, control or walk a pit bull and the punishment for doing so is a charge of "an act of delinquency" and could result in possible fines and penalties for the owner of the animal.

No more than one pit bull can be walked at a time under the ordinance.

The application for the special license will be $100 for the initial application and a $75 fee for each subsequent application. If any pit bull owners are found in violation of the requirements outlined in the ordinance, they could face fines of as much as $1,000 and/or six months in jail.

Raymond said she approached the council about drafting such an ordinance after a fatal incident involving two dogs that took place in February.

Raymond recalled that she had gone home from work early one day and was told that over on Chestnut Street, a pit bull had attacked and killed a small dog. When Raymond arrived at the scene of the incident, she saw seven police officers surrounding the dead pet.

"It ripped this little tiny dog off the owner’s leash and destroyed the dog," said Raymond.
"The woman was in shock. It ripped the little dog’s guts right out."

The pit bull was unleashed and had gotten away from the owner.

Raymond said she told the council it needed to do something and City Attorney Joseph Rotolo was directed to research and draft an ordinance to put laws into place to prevent incidents such as this occurring in the future.

Another incident occurred about three weeks ago, according to Raymond, who said the child of an employee in the school district was bitten by a pit bull that was leashed. She said the dog "ripped the little girl’s arm apart" and she had to go through a series of rabies vaccinations, which she had a reaction to. The pit bull’s owner fled the scene when the bite occurred.

"I don’t want to be cruel to anyone who loves their pet," she said. "Anyone who owns pit bulls needs to be responsible. "

If the ordinance is adopted, City Clerk Andrew Pavlica will notify the owners of registered pit bulls in Garfield of the new requirements.

"This is a very serious quality-of-life issue," said Raymond. "Citizens have the right to walk the streets freely without being concerned."

E-mail: griffithse@northjer sey.com

http://www.northjer sey.com/news/ bergen/91537414_ Ordinance_ would_make_ new_requirements _for_Garfield_ pit_bull_ owners_.html

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:52 am

Garfield, NJ is set to pass breed specific laws. The following website has information about breed specific legislation specific to Garfield, NJ. There is a section detailing actions you can take to prevent the breed specific restrictions from passing.

www.stopbslnj. webs.com

The following link will direct you to a petition that will be brought to the Garfield, NJ Mayor and Council this Tuesday, April 27, 2010. We need as many signatures as possible, from Garfield residents and non-residents alike.

www.thepetitionsite .com/1/nobreedsp ecificlawsnj

Please help to quickly forward, crosspost, and spread this information. If one town passes BSL it could quickly spread. Breed specific laws negatively affect innocent dogs and responsible owners.

stache612
Newborn Bully

Postby stache612 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:57 pm

Heather - Thank you very much for the information. It looks like the meeting is tomorrow night, so I will definitely represent my fellow pit lovers!

stache612
Newborn Bully

Postby stache612 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:12 pm

I just spoke with the City Clerk and this is not on the agenda for April 27th, but is for May 11th. There is still time to write letters and sign the petition.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:27 pm

ATTN GARFIELD NJ RESIDENTS, THE ADOA.ORG HAS AN ATTORNEY READY TO FIGHT THIS CASE BUT THEY NEED A GARFIELD RESIDENT TO FILE..

[quote] We are looking for a resident to challenge
this ordinance, Flora Edwards, Esq. will prepare the challenge and take
it to court; we will win.

SERVICES ARE BEING DONATED BY FLORA EDWARDS ESQ IT WILL NOT COST ANYONE ANY MONEY TO FIGHT THIS

If you know of anyone, please let me know ASAP.

Thank you

Maureen ADOA.
[quote/]

Please any garfield nj residents who are willing to challenge the city of garfield and WIN contact the www.adoa.org ASAP. the adoa challenged Englewood NJ in court in Hackensack NJ and WON the case against BSL there.

myskja
Adolescent Bully

Postby myskja » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:31 pm

I will get to the meeting to be whatever support I can on May 11th.

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:04 am

i just got the correction in my inbox and evidently the journalist reported that April date on an assumption but to comply with the open meetings act it was postponed. Thanks for correcting it. I guess that is good that you have more time now.

stache612
Newborn Bully

Postby stache612 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:32 am

Maureen,
There is a facebook group page which I just posted your information on. Thank you very much. Let's hope we can get someone from Garfield.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112003505502352
-Stacey

stache612
Newborn Bully

Postby stache612 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Looks like between myself and someone I met through the Garfield BSL Facebook page we should have at least one resident who can work with the ADOA. We are also trying to plan a peaceful/legal protest prior to May 11th. I will keep the forum updated if we get something organized.

myskja
Adolescent Bully

Postby myskja » Mon May 10, 2010 11:08 pm

Are there any updates for this? I'm still planning on being there tomorrow.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue May 11, 2010 6:55 am

i will be there tonight

2fatcatsandapitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby 2fatcatsandapitbull » Tue May 11, 2010 9:30 am

My mom and I will be there tonight. I used to live in the next over, my mother still lives there.

myskja
Adolescent Bully

Postby myskja » Tue May 11, 2010 9:18 pm

Guys, I hope this went well. I am SO SORRY I missed it, I feel absolutely horrible - excuses, excuses, but I overslept (I work 3rd shift), got a flat on the way there, discovered I did not have a jack in my car, and by the time the tow truck showed up...well, my thoughts were with you all the way.

Return to “Laws”