Miami, FL

Discuss Breed Specific Legislation and local county laws on pit bull ownership.
Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Re: Miami, FL

Postby Apbt4life » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:30 am

I got the email with that info, and was just about to post it, hope it goes through again, we are so so close I can feel it...

Imanis_mommi
Adolescent Bully

Postby Imanis_mommi » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Apbt4life wrote:I got the email with that info, and was just about to post it, hope it goes through again, we are so so close I can feel it...

From my understanding tommorow b oth bills will hit the floor. MCAVSL will be sending out a blast update.... fingers and paws crossed.

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Jamie Buehrle Speaks for Pit Bulls, Finds Receptive Audience at County Commission
Miami-Dade Commissioners voted 3-1 to allow the ordinance banning pit bulls to go before voters

By Betty Yu

| Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012

The wife of new Miami Marlins pitcher Mark Buehrle is going to bat for pit bulls. She rescued an American Staffordshire Terrier a year ago and he's on his way to becoming a therapy dog.

"He's been an amazing, amazing family member with my toddlers," Jamie Buehrle told the Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners' Public Safety and Healthcare Administration Committee Tuesday.

She and her husband were forced to settle in Broward County because of Miami-Dade's 23-year-old ban on pit bulls.

"I can't imagine the people that didn't have the options that I had, that I could move a little further out, that I had the resources and time for a commute to be able to
keep my family member, because that's exactly what he is," she said.

She found support from the majority of commissioners. They voted 3-1 to allow the 1989 ordinance banning pit bulls to go before voters on the August election ballot.

"I honestly believe it goes to the responsibility of the owner on what they do and how they treat the animal," said Commissioner Sally Haymen.
Commissioner Jose "Pepe" Diaz agreed the law is discriminatory.

"Is a pit bull scary?" he asked. "Absolutely. I can't find the first person that won't say a pit bull can be very scary, so could a Doberman."

Commissioner Barbara Jordan was the only one to vote against letting the voter decide.

"I remember when a pit bull moved in next door to my daughter's home, with my then-three grandchildren, and the dog kept trying to get to them," she said.

She called animal services to have the dog removed.

Buehrle said not all dogs of a certain breed behave the same way.

"We are not in any way condoning breeds to be dangerous, we truly want owners to be responsible," she added.

The ballot question will go before voters on August 14 in the Miami-Dade County primary.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Jami ... 08195.html

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:17 pm

:yipee:

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Tue May 01, 2012 5:31 pm

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:05 pm

The comments on the full article are ridiculous. I hope there are more intelligent people in Maimi voting, than the types of people posting.

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Fri May 04, 2012 11:29 am

Miami-Dade will hold referendum on pit-bull ban

Miami-Dade voters will get a say for the first time on the county’s ban on pit bulls, after county commissioners agreed on Tuesday to put the 23-year-old prohibition on the August ballot.

Commissioners approved the referendum on an 11-1 vote, with Commissioner Barbara Jordan voting against. Commissioner Xavier Suarez was absent. Jordan has cautioned against lifting the county’s ban, which was imposed in 1989 after a pit bull mauled and disfigured an 8-year-old girl.

The push to put the question on the ballot, which was sponsored by Commissioner Sally Heyman, was prompted by Miami-Dade lawmakers who proposed legislation in Tallahassee earlier this year outlawing the county’s ban. The legislators dropped the proposal only after commissioners said they would prefer to hold a referendum rather than let the state undermine the county’s authority to deal with local matters.

“It was a compromise,” Commission Chairman Joe Martinez said.

The question on the August 14 ballot will ask voters, “Shall the ordinance repealing the county’s 23 year old law prohibiting the ownership of pit bulls as a dangerous breed of dogs become effective?”

Pit-bull enthusiasts, who had preferred that the Legislature take action because it will likely be more difficult to repeal the ban by referendum, have objected to including the phrase “dangerous breed of dogs” in the ballot language. But commissioners approved the wording of the question in February.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpol ... rylink=cpy

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpol ... l-ban.html

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Flyers and postcards attached to help get the word out for the August 14 ballot initiative in Miami/Dade County regarding repeal of BSL.

For additional information or to volunteer, please visit the Miami Coalition Against Breed Specific Legisation website.

if anyone wants the flyer files, pm me and I will email them to you.

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Miami-Dade pit bull ban up for vote

Many defend much disparaged breed

Published On: Jun 27 2012 05:28:12 PM EDT

MIAMI -

A ban on pit bulls has been in effect in Miami-Dade County since 1989, but a proposal to lift that ban on the Aug. 14 ballot has people debating both sides of the issue.

Miami-Dade Commissioner Sally Heyman is a lover of dogs, including pit bulls.

"I honestly believe (the problem) is not a bad dog, but an irresponsible owner," Heyman said.

Pit bulls have been banned in Miami-Dade County for 23 years after one mauled and disfigured a girl.

"A lot of things get called pit bulls that aren't necessarily pit bulls or part pit bull," said Alex Munoz, of Miami-Dade Animal Services.

The ban was debated Wednesday at the Downtown Bay Forum, although no one spoke in favor of keeping the ban.

"What would happen if someone came to your door and gave you a $500 fine, took your dog and killed it and gave it back to you in a trash bag without the dog having done anything?" said Dahlia Canes, who favors lifting the ban.

"And what if my granddaughter were out in the street, walking, and an aggressive dog, pit bull or not, came and attacked her unprovoked? I mean, don't I have a right? Doesn't she have a right to not have that happen?" Local 10's Michael Putney asked.

"You have every right to feel safe in this county," Canes said.

But, many don't feel safe around pit bulls, whose attacks garner media attention, even though other breeds bite more.

"This ban affects the American pit bull terriers, the American Staffordshire terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers or any mix thereof that would substantially conform to those breed characteristics," said Kathy Labrada, of Miami-Dade Animal Services.

Owning a pit bull is not against the law in Broward County. Those who want to lift the ban in Miami-Dade County said its dangerous dog ordinance will be toughed up to crack down on aggressive dogs and their owners.

http://www.local10.com/thats-life/Miami ... index.html

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:10 pm

somehow I have a bad feeling about this. Florida does have a poor voting record.....

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Miami-Dade voters to vote on Pit Bull ban

MIAMI (WSVN) -- A controversial debate on legalizing pit bulls in Miami-Dade County will now be in the hands of voters.

Twenty-three years ago, commissioners banned the breed following a vicious attack on Melissa Moreira. She was 8 years old at the time she was mauled in her driveway. "He knocked me down, and bit me on my forehead, scalp. I had the lip hanging, torn off, " said Moreira.
Commissioner Sally Heyman sponsored the referendum that appears on the ballot. "It was an emotional response, you had a heinous dog bite, and you then had multiple Samaritans getting involved, and they started to get bit," said Heyman.
The terror that pit bulls can cause is what supporters of the ban want voters to consider. Carlos Peruyera was attacked July 18 by a loose pit bull while walking
his dog. "These were two very deep puncture wounds, from here down, and up, to the back of ear, my right earlobe was severed, it was pretty much hanging," said Peruyera.
Commissioner Heyman argues the attack was caused by how a pit bull is raised. She is calling for stricter punishment on irresponsible pet owners, not a ban on a specific breed. "What we're seeing more and more of is people demonstrating how kind their pit bull is, ironically, with small children in play situation," said
Heyman.
Jamie Buerhle stepped up to the plate for her pit bull mix named Slater in April. She and her husband, Marlins pitcher Mark Buerhle, moved to Broward County last winter.
She called the ban in Miami-Dade County discrimination. "They're going simply by the way that he looks," said Buerhle. "Instead of judging each dog by their behavior. There are aggressive labs, there are aggressive Chihuahuas, there are aggressive pit bulls."
The referendum is also seen as a way of opening the door to those with bad intentions.
Miami-Dade County is the only county in Florida with a breed-specific ban. Voters will have the final say on Aug. 14.

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21008172872995/

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:26 am

:pray for all the Miami-Dade pit bull dogs and the people that love them.

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:08 am

November 12, 2013
MIAMI, FL
OWNER OF PIT BULL SERVICE DOG SUES MIAMI-DADE; CHALLENGES ORDINANCE BANNING OWNERSHIP OF PIT BULLS
A Miami resident and his wife filed suit on Tuesday against Miami-Dade County, alleging the County has unlawfully ordered removal of his pit bull from the County.
Lucky is a pit bull and he is Felix Conde’s service dog. Since 1989 Miami has enforced an ordinance which prohibits ownership of pit bull dogs within the jurisdiction. The ordinance makes no exception for dogs which are genuine service animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Earlier this year Miami-Dade ordered Mr. Conde to remove Lucky from the jurisdiction, which he did, and subsequently assessed more than $10,000 in penalties against Mr. Conde.
Mr. Conde and his wife have file the lawsuit in federal court in Miami, asking for a declaration that the Miami-Dade County ordinance violates federal law, namely the Americans with Disabilities Act, and that the County has violated the plaintiffs’ civil rights by removing Lucky from them and assessing penalties.
“There is simply no way a breed-specific ownership ban can survive under federal law, so as to be enforced against a disabled person and their service dog. Other courts have reached the same conclusion. But during the prior proceedings the County just refused to listen”, said the Plaintiffs’ attorney, Andy Dogali of Tampa.
A copy of the complaint is available at www.dogalilaw.com. For more information contact Mr. Dogali at 813.289.0700 or adogali@dogalilaw.com, or the Miami Coalition Against Breed Specific Legislation at www.unitedagaisntbsl.org

Return to “Laws”