Ontario Ban Question

Discuss Breed Specific Legislation and local county laws on pit bull ownership.
Tinka44
Adolescent Bully

Ontario Ban Question

Postby Tinka44 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:48 pm

I read this in the Toronto Sun today...

"If a person didn't own a pit bull as of today, they can still aquire one restricted dog either through adoption or bequest. Those with restricted pit bulls as of today can aquire other restricted dogs, but they can never own more than they do today"

Does that mean, because I already have Molly, I can't legally get another pit bull? I just bought a house (move in on Friday...woo hoo) and we just applied for a pit bull at the humane Society on Saturday...we thought we would wait until we got the house to get another dog so we don't stress the dog to much with a move right away...now it looks like if we get accepted to adopt the dog we won't be able to...

Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jp » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:51 pm

No you are not allowed as of August 29 to acquire any more pitbulls than you already own. So since you owned Molly you cannot get another one. You can't have more than you owned on August 29.

By the way which dog did you apply for at the LHS?????? Name of him/her? BTW, the LHS will NOT adopt pitbulls to anyone under 30, or if they have any other pitbulls anyhow.

Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jp » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:52 pm

sorry for the double post, but I knew people were contemplating on getting another pitbull so they just went ahead and registered another pitbull as if they owned it. So, they could get one after August 29, obviously not from a Humane Society but probably from a rescue.

Tinka44
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tinka44 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:53 pm

We applied for Thor, that's funny because they checked our referance today...

Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jp » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:55 pm

Was he one of the pups?
That's good that they checked your reference, but just be aware that you may get turned down. :sad:

Tinka44
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tinka44 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:00 pm

yeah, he's the blond pup, looks just like molly, I always swore I would never get a puppy or a kitten, we have an old dog and adopted an old 'special needs' cat, but those pups are so sweet...I guess even if we did get accepted we couldn't take the dog anyways, on the good side there was about 50 applications for the pups just on saturday, I know they'll get good homes...

Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jp » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:02 pm

wow 50!!!! I hope they accept one.

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:02 pm

Don't get your hopes up hun, sorry but the LHS is poo, and I dont think they have any intention of adopting out those dogs.

Good luck though!

Did you get to meet Tyson(black 3 years) and Grendel (brindle 3 years)

Tinka44
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tinka44 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:12 pm

I've never has a problem with them...they seem very passionate about the dogs and the ban, it can't be easy dealing with that type of work, I would prefer them to be very picky with whom they adopt any pit bulls to rather than someone getting one that doesn't understand the restrictions they must follow and end up getting rid of it

Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jp » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:23 pm

oh they have denied very appropriate people who have memorized the restrictions.

JonnyFyre

Postby JonnyFyre » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:57 am

You can adopt or be givin a Pit Bull, as long as it is restricted (Altered, Muzzeled, and kept on a leash no longer than 1 meter long). If you didn't have one on or before Aug. 28, you can get 1. If you had say for eg. 3, you may always have 3, as long as it was born before the November cut off date for pups, or if it was in Ontario before Aug. 28, 2005. Those are the facts. I recieved a copy of the rules set out by Bill 132 in plain english. It was published by the Dog Legislation Council Of Canada. I met a rep at the Vigil in Toronto. You can find out all the answers to your questions at http://www.doglegislationcouncilcanada.org/

JonnyFyre

Postby JonnyFyre » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:02 am

Sorry.. LHS? what organization is that?

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:16 am

London Humane Society :yucky:

Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jp » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 pm

Tinka, what happened?? Did they accept your application?

Tinka44
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tinka44 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:48 pm

Sorry for the delay...I had a major virus and couldn't go online...yes, we went in for a meet and greet with Thor and Molly and had many phone conversations with Irene and the LHS. In the end, it came down to us and a family without a pitbull, the family got the puppy, we are totally fine with the decision, I know the LHS was very picky about who the puppies went to, it was over 2 weeks of phone conversations and meeting before the finally decision was made! Our move was pretty hard on Molly and Ginger anyways and we were pretty worried about the added effect of a new puppy, Molly and Ginger (my cat) are our first priorities and they come first, so it is better this way, it gives them more time to adjust.

Return to “Laws”