What to do when Animal Control Comes Knocking

Discuss Breed Specific Legislation and local county laws on pit bull ownership.
ZitaKatalin
Newborn Bully

Re: What to do when Animal Control Comes Knocking

Postby ZitaKatalin » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Good to know, thanks for the post.

I'm assuming a large % of it applies in Canada as well?

extrablues
BANNED

Postby extrablues » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:11 am

great info!!!! :goodpost: what if animal control goes in a neighbor's house in order to view whats on my property because it wasnt visible from the street or sidewalk.? is that still considered in plain sight?

**PHOTO REMOVED. NO PUPPIES FOR SALE ADS ON THIS BOARD. NO KENNEL PHONE NUMBERS OR WEB SITES EITHER. YOU MAY NOT USE THIS BOARD TO SELL YOUR LITTERS.**

teri2whit
Newborn Bully

Postby teri2whit » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:26 am

Hey, I need an animal rights group here in Galveston, Texas. This officer Has it out for my husband and is trying to deem my dog dangerous. My dog bit a lady on our property back in June. Then he got picked up again but my neighbor cannot say for sure that it was my dog or his own dog that bit him. If it was my dog it was because he was hit with a crow bar. But my neighbor is not going to turn in the papers because he cannot say for sure. My dog has been held way beyond the ten days and I have not had a hearing yet. The dates on the dangerous dog papers are wrong. The date the officer is refering to my dog was in the humane society. I have several people that came forth to say this is wrong but are scared to speak out because they may loose their job. If any one can help please let me know. I cannot afford an attorney at this time either.

pitbulls.tid
Newborn Bully

Postby pitbulls.tid » Wed May 12, 2010 10:54 pm

ah yet another good post! great info! awesome post :)

kimboley
Newborn Bully

Postby kimboley » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:01 am

In California and in most states, a dog is considered your personal property. If your dog is not in danger or being abused by remaining on your property, the Animal Control can not remove your dog, your property from your home with out an order to do so, from a judge.

I think this is real important to know. Your dog is your personal property. If for some reason, Animal Control shows up and wants to take your dog off your property, weather the neighbors are complaining about barking, if the dog got out and ate the neighbors flower garden, even if your dog has injured or killed another animal, if you can get your dog home, they can not impound him.

They can check for current licenses, shots, they can issue you a citation or warning, but they need to go through proper legal procedures to remove your personal property.

(each city, county and state have specific ordinances, but I know this to be true in San Diego County)

I think if your dog has bitten a person causing injury, they may be able to impound, not positive, as my dogs have never bitten a person)

Return to “Laws”