Registering new dog with town.... breed?

Discuss Breed Specific Legislation and local county laws on pit bull ownership.
Adivina
Adolescent Bully

Registering new dog with town.... breed?

Postby Adivina » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:04 am

As I look into registering Kratos - the rescue dog I just got with the town, I am forced to realize Massachusetts is "researching" a statewide pitbull ban.

Would it be prudent to try to register him as a Dogo Argentino? He is a bit small weight wise to fit the standard - but he could pass as a poorly bred runt I am sure....

If I do register him as a pittie type dog I'm also curious which breed you guys think he is closer to. I have him listed as an Am. Staff. with my vet right now just because that is what I had to list him as in order to have Continental Airlines fly him to me (they will not take any dog with "pitbull" in its name). I'd love to know what kind of bully breed you think he falls into, just out of curiosity.

Reference photo or two:

Some other pictures in album: http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/Adivina/

I just am trying to think of what would be the smartest way to register him seeing as MA is "researching" a state-wide ban.

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:28 am

CUTE DOG! :-) I would say a Lab Mix! ;-)

Adivina
Adolescent Bully

Postby Adivina » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:31 am

IlovemyMONGO wrote:CUTE DOG! :-) I would say a Lab Mix! ;-)

Ah...the imfamous "lab mix" registration roflmao

:)

I am trying to figure out what the name of the "kennel" he came from was, not out of interest in them, but I would just like to know more about his background. Like I said, I worked the seizure and rescue through the ACO in Litchfield, IL from way up here in MA. :P

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:26 pm

HA! Mongo is an american bulldog/Lab mix. I just put lab mix on his registration! ;-)
But, honestly people who don't know dogs will think yours is a lab, I see a lab face ;-)!
I love your dog!! :inlove:

Pariah
Adolescent Bully

Postby Pariah » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:44 pm

I registered my Pit Bull Sadie as a "Bull Mastiff mix". I think that's a plausible description to assert because she is fairly large for a Pittie and has a black mask.
Yes...I will lie for love :twisted:

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:14 pm

You could always just go with the American Bulldog Mix registration. The white coat and black lips are part of the breed standard. It doesn't look like he has the black eye rim, but heck, you can always paint it on.

Or, you could just put him in this and say his is a poodle!!!

Bauer421
Newborn Bully

Postby Bauer421 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:02 pm

If you want to go on the infamous lab mix bandwagon, but ad a little spice to it...call him a "Lab/Terrier Mix". That is what my vet told me to call Bauer if I run into any trouble.

Slave to the Dogs
Matured Bully

Postby Slave to the Dogs » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:54 pm

I've actually been thinking about this topic a lot lately, especially with BSL being proposed here...

A lot of BSL is phrased with "a majority of the characteristics of breed x"...so with that it probably wouldn't matter what you listed on the registration...if it was ever called into question I don't think it would hold much weight as it's the owner filling out the form anyway...

Pro-registration: Many places that have passed BSL have grandfathered in dogs already residing in the area, so in that case it would be really important to have your dog registered.

Anti-registration: If dog's aren't grandfathered in, they basically have a hit list...

So I've always been torn...for a long time I didn't register...but I had to get a multiple-animal permit last year and had no choice...

Tough call.....

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:17 pm

Anti-registration: If dog's aren't grandfathered in, they basically have a hit list...

I have considered this and for this reason have chosen NOT to register.
Additionally there are no benefits to registering and the consequence for first time failure to do so is miniscule

With regard to grandfathering in...that is a point; but I seem to recall at least in some places where this has happened, there has been a grace period in which to register and comply with whatever dictates are in place...

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:18 pm

Both mine are registered with the vet office, chipped and with our apartments as "Boxer Mix." In fact, Nevaeh is a Blue brindle lab/boxer mix. :)) If someone really wants to raise a stink, ill have my lawyer call them asking if they are more certified then a Veterinarian in Breed ID. Does it matter if vets can actually ID dogs? No, but if they cant, then it makes it that much more difficult for them to overthrow a professionals determination.

Slave to the Dogs
Matured Bully

Postby Slave to the Dogs » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:29 pm

That's ONE of the big problems with BSL...especially when it's phrased with the "characteristic of breed X"....who's to determine that? Who is the "expert"? The vet? AC? I've known both of these groups to be stumped and/or wrong....

Hell, 3/4 of the volunteers with our rescue (directors included) have fallen prey to the Find the Pit Bull game.... :))

amelie
Matured Bully

Postby amelie » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:40 pm

we just chipped my boyfriends dog and put her down as a jack russel/whippet she is about 35lbs and thinly built. we travel "outside" (of Alaska) and someone may see her as a pit bull, but at least we have something in our favor to fight with. i wouldnt leave it as a something "mix" i would say what thet other part is, so no one could say lab mix, it is a lab mixed with pit., and take your dog. i like the lab/terrier suggestion.

imperiumx1st

Postby imperiumx1st » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:31 pm

id say a a lab mix also! :)) cant go wrong there ahaha lol
i mean they hear the word lab they will most likely think its a lab
mixed with some other breed and not even think about the word
"pitbull" loll you should be fine hope everything works out :)

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:04 pm

I'd go with DalmationXBoxer! :)

Return to “Laws”