Plymouth, Mi proposed ban

Discuss Breed Specific Legislation and local county laws on pit bull ownership.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Plymouth, Mi proposed ban

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:50 pm

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/15327331/detail.html

PLYMOUTH, Mich. -- Plymouth is considering either banning or restricting pit bulls.

The Plymouth City Commission recently received a 100-signature petition proposing an ordinance that would ban pit bulls or animals bred for fighting.

Angel Edie and her family recently moved, with their 90-pound pit bull, to Jenner Street in Plymouth.

"We raise him to be a good family dog and that's who he is," Edie said.

A second petition would not ban the dogs outright, but would force them to take precautions like fencing.

BrowniesMom
Adolescent Bully

Postby BrowniesMom » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:23 pm

I just found this article, but I can't find any other info. I'll be waiting to here what they say next. Maybe start writing letters.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:14 pm

100 signatures, huh? I wonder how many signatures could be gotten on a counter petition.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:24 pm

PLEASE CROSSPOST!!!

Two different news articles are below. Second article mentions that Plymouth is keeping an eye on the outcome of the Arkansas federal court case.

Please send your polite and respectful opposition to any bans or restrictions in Plymouth, MI. Contact info for City Commission members and the Mayor, are at the bottom of this email.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/15327331/detail.html
Pit Bull Ban Proposed in Plymouth
POSTED: 7:04 pm EST February 17, 2008

PLYMOUTH, Mich. --

Plymouth is considering either banning or restricting pit bulls.The Plymouth City Commission recently received a 100-signature petition proposing an ordinance that would ban pit bulls or animals bred for fighting.Angel Edie and her family recently moved, with their 90-pound pit bull, to Jenner Street in Plymouth.
"We raise him to be a good family dog and that's who he is," Edie said.A second petition would not ban the dogs outright, but would force them to take precautions like fencing.

======================

http://observer-eccentric.com/apps/pbcs ... 5/80215009

Neighbors: No pit bulls in Plymouth
Originally published February 15, 2008
By Tony Bruscato
Staff Writer

By his owner’s account, Gage – a 2-year-old, 90-plus-pound red nose pit bull – is everything man’s best friend is supposed to be.

“People automatically stereotype him because he’s a pit bull, but he’s the biggest baby in the world,” said Angel Edie, 25, who along with her fiance Kyle Kosmyna, 23, and their three children (8, 6 and 4 months) moved to a home on Jenner Street near downtown Plymouth this week. “The kids pull on his ears and tail and he’s fine with it. The only time he barks is when someone comes to the door. And when we tell him to go to his room (cage), he will.”

However, a week before Edie and her family moved, their future neighbors turned in petitions with nearly 100 signatures to the Plymouth City Commission seeking an ordinance that would ban pit bulls or animals bred for fighting.

“One of the central themes is they have been bred to fight for thousands of years,” said Chris Schneider, who lives next to Edie and Kosmyna. “Often times, even after years and years of being with the family and having a good relationship with the family, they’ve attacked and killed their own owners and children.”

Schneider met Gage briefly before the family moved in.

“The dog was friendly, it jumped on my fence and I pet the animal,” Schneider told the commission. “Research says the friendliest of the dogs have been known to turn.”

Mayor Phil Pursell said city officials are keeping a watchful eye on an Arkansas federal court case which tests the constitutionality of a local ordinance banning specific breeds of dogs before making any alterations to the current city ordinance, which reads that “vicious” dogs can’t roam at large and have to be secured on their own property.

“We can make ordinances all day long, but if they don’t stand up in court they won’t do you, or us, any good,” Pursell said.

“We live in Plymouth for a reason, so we can let our kids play and be safe,” said Nicole Wassel, a neighbor on Jenner. “An ordinance isn’t going to stop him in the middle of summer, when the screen door is open, and this dog runs out because he sees my daughter on her tricycle that made a funny noise. We’re going to be locked in our home because they have this potentially dangerous dog.”

Kosmyna said they took precautions when purchasing Gage from a breeder in California, making certain his bloodline was not that of a fighter.

“If the community has a problem with him, I’ll invite them all over to meet him. he’s very well tempered,” said Kosmyna. “He’s my family dog, man’s best friend. I don’t feed him raw meat and blood.”

---------------------------------------

Please send your polite and respectful opposition to any bans or restrictions to the City Commission:

http://www.ci.plymouth.mi.us/index.asp?NID=43

Plymouth City Hall
201 S Main Street
Plymouth, MI 48170
(734) 453-1234
Fax: (734) 455-1892
Phil Pursell - Mayor
ppursell@ci.plymouth.mi.us
Term Expires: 2009

Ron Loiselle - Mayor Pro-tem
rloiselle@ci.plymouth.mi.us

Stella Greene - Commissioner
sgreene@ci.plymouth.mi.us

Chris Lynn - Commissioner
clynn@ci.plymouth.mi.us
Term Expires: 2011

Gerry Sabatini - Commissioner
gsabatini@ci.plymouth.mi.us

David Workman - Commissioner
dworkman@ci.plymouth.mi.us

Mike Wright - Commissioner
mwright@ci.plymouth.mi.us
======================

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:26 am

:po:

Those neighbors are idiots!!

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:46 am

I will be in MI in two weeks and this is my biggest fear. I don't have any desire to be cozy with neighbors, but I do want to live in peace and here in GA we haven't had any trouble. People here are very "live and let live" that we have known... We will see...

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:00 pm

That was the dumbest article. I think my IQ just dropped a point from reading it. Dumbness on both sides.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:53 am

bahamutt99 wrote:That was the dumbest article. I think my IQ just dropped a point from reading it. Dumbness on both sides.

I know the more I read it the more I thought "what?" I tend to scan long articles..and wow..is all I can say..

and good grief...

wonder if the same neighbors lock themselves in the house when they hear a car engine..I mean come on..they could run over the kids too as cars kill more people than pit bulls (or dogs in general)
*rolls eyes*

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:24 pm

heather wrote:I will be in MI in two weeks and this is my biggest fear. I don't have any desire to be cozy with neighbors, but I do want to live in peace and here in GA we haven't had any trouble. People here are very "live and let live" that we have known... We will see...

I live in Michigan and I haven't had any trouble with my neighbors.

Saradog
Newborn Bully

Postby Saradog » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:12 pm

Thanks so much for assembling those addresses, Lovnstuff.

I wrote to all of them and got an acknowledgement from Gerald Sabatini. Don't know if it'll make a difference, but it is certainly worth trying.

SueN
Matured Bully

Postby SueN » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:15 pm

This issue is being addressed locally. No outcome will appease everyone but this one is being looked into creatively from a different angle by a couple Michigan residents. I will update when we have some definite commitments and results.

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:18 pm

City may settle dog ordinance issue next month
BY CECIL ANGEL • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • February 21, 2008

Plymouth residents will have to wait at least until March 17 before they have any idea whether the City Commission will amend the city's dog ordinance.

Meanwhile, the line has been drawn.

One group of residents wants the city to ban pit bulls or develop a dangerous dog ordinance to ensure better control of the breed. The other side doesn't want the city to cave in to what they see as bias against largely harmless animals.

The center of the controversy is Gage, a 2-year-old, 72-pound red nose pit bull. He isn't the only pit bull in the city of 9,000 people nor has he been accused of harming or threatening anyone.

"It's crazy," said Kyle Kosmyna, 23, who is Gage's owner. "It makes me feel I'm not welcome in the house I'm living in."

Kosmyna grew up in Plymouth and moved into the house on Jener Place on Feb. 12 because he said he thought the neighborhood was a good place to raise his children. He lives there with his girlfriend, Angel Edie, 25, their 4-month-old daughter and Edie's sons, who are 6 and 8..

Edie said she trusts the dog around her children. "He would have been gone a long time ago if I felt there was any danger," she said.

But next door, Nicole Wassel was worried about the safety of her two young children.
"There's nothing in place to keep our children safe," Wassel said.

She wonders why the landlord would rent a house to the owner of a pit bull and not secure the backyard with a proper fence.

Within the past six months, three people have been killed in dog attacks in southeast Michigan, including an infant. A rottweiler and American bulldogs were involved.

"How can you say all pit bulls are bad?" Kosmyna asked. "That's like saying all people are bad."

Two doors down from Kosmyna, James and Kim McHenry said there must be regulations to keep people safe.

"People have to take priority over animals," Kim McHenry said.

At a Feb. 4 commission, a petition signed by 78 people including the McHenrys was presented. It asked that pit bulls be banned or properly secured.

Kosmyna said there is a petition circulating against banning pit bulls.

Plymouth City Manager Paul Sincock said the City Commission doesn't anticipate getting anything from the city attorney prior to its March 17 meeting. He stressed a point made by
Mayor Phil Pursell that any ordinance the city adopts must withstand a legal challenge.

Contact CECIL ANGEL at 313-223-4531 or angel@freepress. com.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... /1004/NEWS

2007 City Commission Goals/Priorities
City Commissioners
Phil Pursell
Mayor
ppursell@ci. plymouth.mi.us
Term Expires: 2009 Ron Loiselle
Mayor Pro-tem
rloiselle@ci. plymouth.mi.us
Term Expires: 2009 Stella Greene
Commissioner
sgreene@ci.plymouth.mi.us
Chris Lynn
Commissioner
clynn@ci.plymouth.mi.us
Term Expires: 2011 Gerry Sabatini
Commissioner
gsabatini@ci. plymouth.mi.us
Term Expires: 2009 David Workman
Commissioner
dworkman@ci. plymouth.mi.us
Mike Wright
Commissioner
mwright@ci.plymouth.mi.us

SueN
Matured Bully

Postby SueN » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:03 pm

City eyes 'vicious' dog ordinance
By TONY BRUSCATO
Staff Writer

The Plymouth City Commission is expected to discuss options for an updated vicious dog ordinance to ease the fears of residents on Jenner who don't like that a 90-pound, red nose pit bull has moved into their neighborhood.

Neighbors of Kyle Kosmyna and Angel Edie believe the current city ordinance for vicious dogs isn't adequate to protect their families from what they consider a dangerous and threatening breed.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I just want to assure you there will be action on this," Mayor Phil Pursell said to a handful of concerned residents at Monday's commission meeting. "We aren't passing the buck, we are just trying to be as thorough and diligent as we possibly can so we do the right thing by everyone involved."

A week before the family moved into the rental home in the 500 block of Jenner, neighbors handed the city commission two petitions. The first, with 181 signatures, called for a ban on pit bull, fighting and dangerous animals within the city limits.

A second petition calling for pit bulls and/or other types of breeds for fighting be spayed or neutered, contained within a six-foot secured privacy fence and to be leashed when in public had 13 signatures.

While Pursell told residents he was confident a new ordinance could be ready by the March 17 meeting, Jenner resident Chris Schneider was concerned the time frame was too long.

"A month has me worried, but I understand you need to do your due diligence," said Schneider, who says he's in favor of the second petition.

Lori Wilcox was more direct.

"If these people choose to take a gamble owning this dog, it's their preogative," said Wilcox, who said she favors the second petition. "I, on the other hand, choose not to gamble my children, my neighbor's children or the existing pets in the neighborhood."

Kosmyna told commissioners that while his dog, Gage, isn't dangerous, "I'm all for a six-foot fence, I'm all for containment of my dog for the safety of my children and the families around me.

"My dog is a house dog. When I chain him up (outside), it's simply to go to the bathroom and come back inside," he added. "He doesn't roam the yard, he likes to be inside. He's a big baby."

The owner of the rental home, former Plymouth resident Steve Sarafian - who currently lives on the west coast - said he might have reconsidered renting the home if he had known a pit bull was moving into the home.

"But after getting to know Kyle, I know he's a very responsible human being, and if he says the dog is good, I stand behind the dog," Sarafian said. "Whatever the city council decides, I'll fix whatever needs fixing. If it's spending money to build a fence, I will do that."

City attorney Bob Marzano of Plunkett Cooney revealed he's given city officials sample ordinances from neighboring communities to consider.

"I'm investigating the constitutionality and how to have an ordinance that would be enforceable ... and fair to all parties," Marzano said.

Pursell cited a Canton Township ordinance as one that appears to be one Plymouth could adopt. In that ordinance, "vicious dog" means "any dog with a known propensity, tendency or disposition to attack unprovoked; any dog that attacks a human being or other domestic animal without being provoked; and any dog known by its owner to be a pit bull ... or any mixed breed of dog known to contain as an element of its breeding of any such breeds."

Pursell admitted that trying to ban a specific breed would face tough scrutiny by the courts, as evidenced by an Arkansas federal court case which is testing the constitutionality of banning specific breeds of dogs.

"I think you can have an ordinance that specifies for potentially dangerous and vicious dogs due to their heritage, their breeding," Pursell said. "We all love dogs, but there comes a point where the dogs have to take a back seat to the safety of the people.

"I think we can tighten our ordinance a bit to satisfy them," he added. "I think they'd sleep better at night. I know I would."

SueN
Matured Bully

Postby SueN » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:33 pm

Amazing what you can find out on the internet. I guess the new renter has been running his mouth on how big and bad his pit bull is and what lines he comes from and this is the majority of the problem here.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:46 pm

SueN wrote:Amazing what you can find out on the internet. I guess the new renter has been running his mouth on how big and bad his pit bull is and what lines he comes from and this is the majority of the problem here.

:bully:

Return to “Laws”