Ace swallowed a string!!!!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Ace swallowed a string!!!!!

Postby ms533 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:47 pm

My 5 month old Ace swallowed a string for a sweatshirt hood. This hapened on Sun. and I've heard it could take few days. but nothing yet, so I finally called the vet and he said as long as hes acting normal, then hes fine and it should pass on its own, but as soon as he starts acting differently then I need to take him in ASAP. i'm just worried I had a cat that got tinsle wrap around her intestines and she almost died. Have any of you had this happen to you , and how long did it take to pass. and is there anything I can do besides wait. l
ms533

Postby Tally TransAm » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:09 pm

i know it isnt good but my dog eats all kinds of crap when im not looking

everyone once in a while there will tennis ball fuzz in here poop. one time she was going to the bathroom and started running around like a crackhead and crying and yelling and i couldnt figure out what was wrong. until i notice the turd hanging outta her butt attached to the piece of yarn she must have swallowed. poor girl couldnt get it out
Last edited by Tally TransAm on Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tally TransAm
Newborn Bully

Postby jmann4 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:42 pm

A string should pass in 4 or 5 days. Just keep watching.

Things to watch for if something is wrong would be bazooka vomiting, drinking lots of water, bloat in the stomach.

If something get's stuck in the stomach they can dehydrate, this means they drink more water, if it's in the intestine, this will cause bloat. If it's stuck in the stomach area, bazooka vomiting will start.

My dog ate a little ball and I had to get it surgically removed. She vomited and drank a ton of water. Just be on the look out. Strings aren't that bad of a problem, but can cause a problem.
jmann4

Postby damienApbt » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:58 pm

my dog some how ate a long string. i didnt even know untill he tried to poop. they always scream bloody murder and run around in circles i had to ease the string out. yeah its nastey. dont yank it out though. the one he ate was a good 2 ft long so it was pretty nuts pulling that out.

unfortunately rod always eats crazy things but luckily hes been able to pass everything so far. as long as your dogs pooping regularly and acting normal, it should pass. just pay attention to his stools. yeah your gonna look pretty stupid but fish through them to make sure.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby raebo » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:20 pm

Just make sure that he's acting normally. My old fella (the late great Rico) once unraveled some carpet and ate it like spaghetti along with a carpet staple (without us knowing). As you can imagine it clogged up his insides and he had to have surgery to have it removed. Luckily he recovered fully.

We could tell that there was something wrong when he wasn't eating properly and wasn't "regular". It was very obvious that something was wrong so you'll be able to tell for sure.

Rae
raebo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jeff » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:17 am

Sorry guys , but I think Dexter takes the cake. 3 months ago, I took Dex to the vet for some infected hair follicles. After the visit, I put him back in my car before paying. He is quite dog-aggressive, and there was a dog that looked like it was about to go to the Bridge waiting in the reception area.
Anyhow, my gf and I get into my car, and go to the Farmers Market to grab some grub. We could not find his leash (4 ft. nylon.) I called the vet, he said he hadnt seen it. I figured it fell out of the car, an did not think much of it.
8 days later, I see Dex walk into his kennel and throw up. I go to investigate, low and behold I see around half of his leash with the metal buckle end.
As I am speed dialing my vet, he gives me the look like he needs to go potty. I take him outside, and proceed to pull 3 feet of nylon leash from his butt. At first I though it was a hanging poop (a la tennis ball fuzz) but I began to pull and it seemed like it never ended.
I felt horrible that he had it inside him for 8 days, but he never showed any signs of anything being wrong. If only I had a camera, as I was pulling, it looked like I was walking him from the wrong end, if you know what I mean.
I took him to the vet just to be safe, and he got a clean bill of health.
I know around 4-5 other pittie owners whose dogs have swallowed leashes before, the owners didnt even know till they pooped it out.
Your pooch should be fine, just pay close attention and take him to the vet if you see anything suspicious.
Jeff

Postby jmann4 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:04 am

Holy Crap! He ate his leash? Amazing! I'm surprised he didn't have any problems.

I have a picture of the ball Angel ate but it sucks so I decided not to post it. It's a little plastic basketball, I think someone through it to her over the fence because no one here has ever seen it.

I have it in a plastic bag as a reminder to myself not let her have anything smaller than a racket ball or anything that can be eaten. Like those plastic bouncy balls they sell for $2.00 and the dollar store.

A leash is amazing though. Glad your dog is fine.
jmann4

Postby raebo » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:10 am

Oh my Gawd Jeff... the whole leash?! That's insane.

Rae
raebo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby HugABull1 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:16 pm

An entire leash?!!! :eek: That just blows my mind!!!

I went through the blockage thing with Angel at around 8 or 9 months old. It was something soft that never showed up on x-rays, but her symptoms and blood tests indicated a blockage. The vet gave her an injection to stop her from vomiting (she was puking sooo much, 20 times in 12 hours, that there was blood from her stomach in the vomit - looked like coffee grounds), and kept her overnight. The next day she was weak but better, so we took her home and started watching her poop. We never found whatever it was, and she got better, so it must've been something digestible (like leather).

To this day, she now has a really sensitive tummy, and pukes pretty much every day (lucky us).

Hope your pup is okay - he should pass the string without too much trouble.
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby Boo439 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:38 am

Toda has eaten and passed paper towels, pieces of his bed or blanket, plastic bags, rope, parts of a soda bottle, a sock, the list goes on.

This all happened when he was younger. I got so tired of worrying about it that I just have to keep the floor spotless at all times. He has nothing in his crate but a HUGE rubber toy that there is no way in Hades that he is going to eat.

From now on, just dog-proof your house and make sure there is nothing small enough to eat within your dog's reach.
Boo439

Postby wndrtwns04 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:35 am

Oh my God, I say the dog that eats the leash wins. I thought when my dog ate our outdoor wood and plastic birdhouse, followed by an unopened charcoal lighter fluid bottle for dessert he would die, but alas I think we both learned a lesson that day. EVERYTHING is fair game if they can get to it! roflmao
wndrtwns04

Postby abman » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:17 am

I had a friend call me and told me her dog had a huge tapeworm in the crate and she was freaking out. It turned out to be her passing a sock that she swallowed.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby Blue Steel » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:54 pm

abman wrote:I had a friend call me and told me her dog had a huge tapeworm in the crate and she was freaking out. It turned out to be her passing a sock that she swallowed.

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao
Blue Steel

Postby barbponys » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:43 pm

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao

OHHH my goddddd I'm dying!!!!!!!! That's too funny.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby myers » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:24 pm

i might have the leash beat... When my GSD was still a pup i noticed that my metallica tape was missing. Remember now this is goin back about 12 years. I had him out in the yard a few days later and he started taking a poop, and kept taking the poop all the way around the yard. This is surprising due to the fact we have about an acre and a half. Trailing behind him and strewn across the whole property was the poopy remnants of my unraveled metallica tape. The sorry look on his face was priceless. roflmao
myers

Return to Health Issues