Barbpony

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Barbpony

Postby CinderDee » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:17 am

Hi Barbpony,

I hope you don't mind giving yet more advice on foods....

My dog has terrible allergies and a very bad stomach. I have had him on lamb (Solid Gold) and various other foods in the 2 years that I've had him. (Wellness duck/potato, Holistique, Flint River Ranch, just to name a few.)
In the last month his allergies have exacerbated to the point that he was scratching and licking day and night. I now have him on Atarax (boy, you're right about it being pricey!) and he's calmed down, but I think I want to try him on a different protein source.

What do you think of venison?

Thanks very much for any help you can offer! :)

Dee
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby jmann4 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:57 am

Hey Cinder,

How did you like the Flint River Ranch? I've heard about that food and might try it for Honey.
jmann4

Postby CinderDee » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:56 pm

Hi jmann,

My dog liked it a lot more than what he's on now. (Solid Gold) I was thinking of switching back before all of this chaos with the allergies.

I also really like their service and the free shipping.

I do remember Dis (Leslie) posting that her vet said FRR wasn't good for pits, but she didn't say why.

I have yet to find a food that I'm really happy with. :sad:

Good luck!
Dee
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:52 am

Dee, Jmann,
Please call me Pat:).
In my opinion FRR isn't worth the money. It's a heavy wheat based food, if you have any challenges at all with food this isn't one that will work. Most of the dogs I have seen that are on it don't do all that well. The dogs tend to loooove it but it doesn't perform well, you can find better foods that cost the same or a little more. I'm not a huge fan of Solid Gold either but if it works for your girl, great.

As far as Venison goes, I like the idea of it. The market is going to be flooded with elimination diets here pretty quick. Natural Life is coming out with venison, duck, alligator, rabbit. Simply Natural has a duck and potato, Timberwolf has a fish and potato on the way as well as a buffalo. Keep in mind they aren't meant for long term feeding though.

If going to foods that don't have a lot of the common grain allergies in them isn't helping Cinder significantly I'm thinking she is dealing with contact and inhalent allergies as well. Perhaps flea, dust, mold, cat and the list goes on. There's also a good chance she has protein specific allergies as well. I have yet to run into a dog with just one or the other allergy, it's always a combo. I would suggest you ask you vet about blood titer allergy testing. They expose the blood to all the allergens in your part of the country as well as grains, meats, fleas etc. It's not 100% accurate but at least you will have a really good idea of what you are dealing with. It's not cheap but it's not horribly expensive either. The food dance can be far more expensive, after your 5th bag(depending on price) you may have reached the price of the test. I have learned the hard way that allergies will kick your, and your dogs, donkey before you ever figure out what's going on with out a little help. It's always the one thing you never figured would be the problem that ends up being the killer.

I hope this helps a little.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby CinderDee » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:49 pm

Hi Pat,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. :)

I just ordered the Natural Life Venison. He doesn't like the Solid Gold, so I'm sure he'll be happy.

Simply Natural has a duck and potato, Timberwolf has a fish and potato on the way as well as a buffalo. Keep in mind they aren't meant for long term feeding though.

I thought about a duck/potato, but I didn't really want to give him potato. He is not very active and tends to gain weight easily.
I did have my last dog on duck/potato and he did very well.

If going to foods that don't have a lot of the common grain allergies in them isn't helping Cinder significantly I'm thinking she is dealing with contact and inhalent allergies as well. Perhaps flea, dust, mold, cat and the list goes on. There's also a good chance she has protein specific allergies as well. I have yet to run into a dog with just one or the other allergy, it's always a combo. I would suggest you ask you vet about blood titer allergy testing. They expose the blood to all the allergens in your part of the country as well as grains, meats, fleas etc

I have no doubt that he (Kato) has inhalant allergies as well. He's been to the vet three times in the last two months and that was her diagnosis.
I asked my vet about the blood titer and she recommended that I have the skin test done instead. She thinks that it's more accurate.
If he hasn't done quite a bit better with the protein source change I'll have the test done.
I'm trying to wait until they find a replacement for their dermatologist, but if he's not better in a month, I'll take him elsewhere.

It's not 100% accurate but at least you will have a really good idea of what you are dealing with. It's not cheap but it's not horribly expensive either. The food dance can be far more expensive, after your 5th bag(depending on price) you may have reached the price of the test

The Atarax is approx. $160.00 per month and the antibiotics are expensive as well, so I certainly would be happier having some answers. I'm hoping that I can get him off the Atarax. I don't like to give my dog meds unless I really have to, especially not long term.

Again, thanks for the advice! I'll let you know how he does. :)

Dee & Kato
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:41 pm

:) Sorry about assuming it was Cinder.
Interesting that you vet prefers skin testing, mine said the exact opposite, hmm. Any way, which ever avenue you take I wish you luck.

I agree with you on the potato thing, that mixed with the Duck seems to make them expand at an alarming rate.

One thing to be aware of, the venison has rice in it, granted it's brown rice but if they are going to be sensitive to rice the protein is the same. They also put rice "protein" in it which basically means the gluten so keep an eye on his itching. Face scratching, yeast in the right ear, chewing on the front legs, scratching the arm pits, all are signs of food reaction. If Kato has had problems with yeast(smells like dirty socks) in his ear(s) apple cider vinegar cut with water(50/50) will help keep that under control. Fill the ear canal half way and massage it(it's be squishy) in once a week should do the trick. Also, with antibiotics please supplement him with plain yogurt or get a good digestive enzyme supplement. He will need help keeping the flora in his digestive tract healthy. There can also be systemic yeast infections caused by long term use of antibiotics, so giving him a digestive enzyme capsule with ever antibiotic will help to prevent that. Sorry if this is too much information, things just keep occuring to me:). Please keep me posted, I would love to hear how he's doing.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby CinderDee » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:35 am

Hi Pat,

Sorry about assuming it was Cinder

I would have thought the same thing. :) Actually, CinderDee is a screen name that I've had for years and I just use it everywhere.

Face scratching, yeast in the right ear, chewing on the front legs, scratching the arm pits, all are signs of food reaction. If Kato has had problems with yeast(smells like dirty socks) in his ear(s) apple cider vinegar cut with water(50/50) will help keep that under control. Fill the ear canal half way and massage it(it's be squishy) in once a week should do the trick

You had posted the info about the right ear on one of the forums and I was amazed. This all describes Kato to a tee.
I have meds for his ear, but will try the apple cider vinegar. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Also, with antibiotics please supplement him with plain yogurt or get a good digestive enzyme supplement. He will need help keeping the flora in his digestive tract healthy. There can also be systemic yeast infections caused by long term use of antibiotics, so giving him a digestive enzyme capsule with ever antibiotic will help to prevent that.

I did get him what I hope is a really good probiotic. It's called Primal
Defense by Garden of Life. Actually, we both take it.
He was on antibiotics for a month due to infected feet, but I stopped giving them to him just last week.
I am not a great fan of antibiotics and never take them myself. His feet look good now, so hopefully I won't have to give him any more.

Sorry if this is too much information, things just keep occuring to me:). Please keep me posted, I would love to hear how he's doing.

It's never too much info for me. :)) I appreciate your help so much.

Oh, regarding the skin test vs the blood test. I don't know what to think. She said that her dog (Bullmastiff) has suffered with allergies for years and she found the skin test to be more reliable.
I would rather have the blood test. I just want some answers. It's frustrating, isn't it?

I'm excited to start him on the new food. :thumbsup: I really hope it helps.

I will definitely keep you updated.

Thanks again, Pat!

Dee & Kato
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues