Leg Injuires

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Leg Injuires

Postby jmann4 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:17 am

I was wondering what are some ways to prevent common leg injuries like pulled muscles. I stretch my dogs back, neck, and sides and was wondering how to stretch their legs as well.
jmann4

Postby moto1320 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:40 am

I can't think of a thing that you don't already do, you're pretty much covered. Between the massage, heat pad and the stretch and warm-up you already do. If yours are docile enough to lay on their backs you could do cross over stretches with the rear legs to get the flexors, which I think would be the easiest to pull.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby TB » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:45 am

I was actually just reading about a recent study(in humans) that showed that stretching does not help prevent injuries. I've heard that before, too, but it goes against a lot of anecdotal evidence that I've heard from people. Since I am a runner, it's of interest to me, and as I rarely take time to stretch, I always like to see studies that support me in not doing so :)) I can't recall the last muscle injury I've gotten, even with big mileage, but I'm not very flexible anymore either :naughty:
TB
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ariel Payopay » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:59 pm

TB wrote:I was actually just reading about a recent study(in humans) that showed that stretching does not help prevent injuries. I've heard that before, too, but it goes against a lot of anecdotal evidence that I've heard from people. Since I am a runner, it's of interest to me, and as I rarely take time to stretch, I always like to see studies that support me in not doing so :)) I can't recall the last muscle injury I've gotten, even with big mileage, but I'm not very flexible anymore either :naughty:

Yeah I seen that on the news. Stretching just makes me feel good. Haha!
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby jmann4 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:24 pm

I massage the muscle's of the legs before any walks etc... to get the blood moving and loosing them up a little bit. Honey get's leg cramps from time to time and I know it's not pleasant.

I've asked my vet and he recommends just rubbing down the legs before and after each work out. I'll more than likely just do that until I learn more about the subject.
jmann4

Postby barbponys » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:45 am

Massage is a really good way to get the blood circulating. I massage my dogs regularly, they,re very spoiled :). If I'm just doing relaxation on them they tend to fall asleep, when I do it prior to excersize it pretty vigorous to get the blood moving, they definitely know the difference! I concentrate on the shoulders, thighs and alone the spine prior to a trail ride just to make sure they are warmed up and ready to keep up with the horses.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby jmann4 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:21 pm

Well, I discovered some interesting stuff while looking through canine massage and exercise warm up stuff.

At night, before bed I use a gentle massage on the legs, neck and like Pat I go along the spine.

Both my dogs are more attached to me now as a result. Just a few days of gentle massage and I can see the difference in their attitudes towards me and while training they seem to be more interested in me and not on distractions. Very cool.
jmann4

Return to Health Issues