Healthy House Cleaning (Long but food for thought)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby egostang » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:15 am

SweetCoral81 wrote:Any healthy tips for getting a flea infestation under control? I already vacuum like crazy and all the pets are treated with Frontline or Advantage. I've tried washing in hot soapy water and drying blankets and stuff on high-heat. I'm at a loss and if I can't get them under control I'll have to bomb the house.

Leave a bowl of water/dish soap on the floor at night with a light on over it. (Hopefully the dog won't get to it) In the morning there will be many fleas in it.
egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby zoo_mom85 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:31 pm

Boo439 wrote:It's too bad there aren't any alternatives, because I know of a few girls that have had to quit because of reactions to the anti-microbial soap. I don't use the hospital's sanitizer, it reeks of alcohol. I get mine from The Bath & Body Works. At least that way I am following protocol and I smell good :))

Hey I used to work there store 269! We were the best! My favorite soap is Coconut Lime Verbena! Smells like a Pina Colada and makes you feels like you're on a summery vacation! I also love the 5/10$ sale! STOCK UP! :peace:
zoo_mom85
Bully Ambassador

Postby zoo_mom85 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:32 pm

egostang wrote:
SweetCoral81 wrote:Any healthy tips for getting a flea infestation under control? I already vacuum like crazy and all the pets are treated with Frontline or Advantage. I've tried washing in hot soapy water and drying blankets and stuff on high-heat. I'm at a loss and if I can't get them under control I'll have to bomb the house.

Leave a bowl of water/dish soap on the floor at night with a light on over it. (Hopefully the dog won't get to it) In the morning there will be many fleas in it.

Oh yeah My friend works at groomers they use orange oil for everything! She used to mix 2 tablespoons orange oil and water and spray it on the floor to control the fleas., Also it shines your wood gets out stains refreshes your floors everything you cn think of!
zoo_mom85
Bully Ambassador

Postby RebelsMomma » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:46 pm

wait, growing mint and lavender is a pest deterent??? Does it work on those little no-see-ums knats?? My back yard is horrible for those things, Im about to grow me a lavender mint farm around here!!
RebelsMomma
Newborn Bully

Postby pibbles and bits » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:50 pm

How the HELL did I get away with never seeing this sticky???

I have a question for those who clean with water and vinegar. How much of each in what size bucket? lol

I clean like a mad woman, because I have hardwood floors, with two sheddy dogs who like to play in the mud :( I have dirt prints on my walls, doors and floors. I'll never be able to stop using lysol lol
pibbles and bits

Postby Yuugiri » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:22 pm

Boo439 wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Anti-bacterial stuff is VERY VERY bad. The germ phobia in this country is the source of MANY diseases. If you are never exposed to germs then you never become immune to them.

There is also a lot of research on the 'super germs' that are developing due to them resisting the anti-bacterial stuff.

I try to keep the chemical use in my house to a minimum.

Michelle

So what am I supposed to do as a hospital worker? Wash my hands with lemons and vinegar? I'd be fired in a heart beat. No sarcasm intended, just curious. Anti-bacterial stuff may be "VERY VERY bad" but not everyone has a choice in the matter.

In an environment such as a hospital with compromised immune systems, extreme illness potential, etc, you would be foolish not to use antibacterial soaps, and scrubs. But is it really necessary to use in your home?
As a chef, we had antibacterial soap in every hand washing station. Its a requisite for those of us dealing with mass amounts of potentially hazardous foods. But when was the last time that you handled 200 orders of carpaccio in your home?
Yuugiri

Postby weaktoast » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:10 am

concreterose wrote:Yep, we don't use anything antibacterial anymore either! I use vinegar and hot water to clean the floor. I add some lemon oil to the vinegar and it really cuts the vinegar smell. It makes the floor so shiny!
Hey I'm wondering this might be kinda off subject but I have been reading alot about mold and how to kill it. I have leather seats in my car and my back window has a leak somewhere, well to make a long story short my back seat has mold on it I sprayed it down with vinegar worked great but made my car smell like *** for a week. Do you think it would be a good idea to add some lemon to it? Lemon should't mess with the leather I hope.
weaktoast
Newborn Bully

Postby concreterose » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:35 pm

weaktoast wrote:
concreterose wrote:Yep, we don't use anything antibacterial anymore either! I use vinegar and hot water to clean the floor. I add some lemon oil to the vinegar and it really cuts the vinegar smell. It makes the floor so shiny!
Hey I'm wondering this might be kinda off subject but I have been reading alot about mold and how to kill it. I have leather seats in my car and my back window has a leak somewhere, well to make a long story short my back seat has mold on it I sprayed it down with vinegar worked great but made my car smell like *** for a week. Do you think it would be a good idea to add some lemon to it? Lemon should't mess with the leather I hope.

No, the lemon oil shouldn't bother your leather...dilute it with water and you should be all set.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Souldier » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:41 am

My fiance and I try our best to have an eco-friendly and healthy household for ourselves and our pets. We used to be part of the Melaleuca Wellness Company but found it to be too expensive and hated having to purchase a certain amount of product every month. Recently we came upon a product called Pink Solution that is amazing!!! It comes a tub and looks like lard (but it's not) and you melt it in the microwave and mix with water. It replaces ALL household cleaning products and is only $60 for a tub that is supposed to last a year or more. We use it for laundry, washing floors, general cleaning, glass cleaner, washing our car, washing our dogs, bathroom cleaning, kitchen cleaner... EVERYTHING except our dishwasher detergent has been replaced by this one product. The great thing is that it is eco-friendly, biodegradable, and completely non-toxic. It works great and has no smell.
http://www.pinksolution.ca/
Souldier
Newborn Bully

Postby Cheshirekatt » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:48 am

concreterose wrote:
Linariel wrote:Borax can be found in the laundry aisle of most stores. There's a brand called "Twenty Mule Team" that is very prevalent.

That's what I use. I get it at Walmart...it's usually right by the washing soda.

Lin, there are a couple places you can check in Flint for the Dr. Bronner's soap. The Grainery is on 809 Church St. 810-235-4621.
Dale's Natural Foods
(810) 230-8008
4290 Miller Rd
Flint, MI 48507

STOREHOUSE NATURAL FOODS 810-733-8161
FLINT, MI 48507

You can order Dr. Bronners directly from their site and you don't pay shipping or taxes! I really like the peppermint soap.
Cheshirekatt
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby nygemma » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:39 pm

Help, Does anyone know tricks for removing stains from vinyl flooring??
The bottom of the dog bed is velvety and it left a big black stain on my kitchen floor. I've tried scrubbing with borax, comet, glass stovetop cleaner, nail polish remover (helped a little).
UGGGHHH!
nygemma
Matured Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:04 pm

i am so excited about this thread.

sadly, i am one of those clean freaks that sprays lysol in the air, im always using bleach or lysol (not together of course) im a germaphobe;[

but im gonna try some of the cleaner ingredients, or try the methods brand also...

cause i am always wiping down my counters and floors... eekkk..

thanks for helping me be more environmentally friendly, i will have to wait until next paycheck tho.. but im going to try and find some castille soap...

:peace:
MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:05 pm

MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:39 pm

so i got borax and castille soap..cant wait to make the cleaning product!! :peace:
MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby EagleEye » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:58 pm

Has anyone heard of or used Holy Cow cleaners? They're supposed to be green and safe to use around pets.

http://www.holycowproducts.com/

I bought a bottle of the concentrated cleaner and was pleased that it didn't irritate my lungs like other cleaners. It did a good job on the commode and kitchen floor. Have to confess though that I like the smell of my homemade cleaners better.
EagleEye
Newborn Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues