Barbponys, when they steal apples from the tree, do your dogs eat the entire thing, seeds and all?
I've read that the seeds and bark of apple trees can be poisonous to dogs, especially since apple seeds have small amounts of cyanide in them.
Last Thanksgiving we had a run in with what we THINK is an allergic reaction to apples. I went outside to see Levi (he had been playing in the yard while I was cooking) and his entire face and head had swollen to about 2X it's size, a blood vessel in his eye had burst from the swelling, he was vomiting a lot, and he had hives on his back and hips. I knew it was an allergic reaction to something, so I gave him some diphenhydramine (Benadryl), and the swelling went down in a few hours... but boy was I scared.
After retracing everything we did with him that day we figured it was the apple he had. He sat down and ate the entire thing (at the time I didn't know the seeds were bad). After looking it up, turns out the seeds can be very harmful and symptoms are swelling of the face and gums, vomiting, and hives (which in this instance are about the size of your thumbnail).
The meat of the apple is fine supposedly. I was wondering if you'd ever had any adverse reactions??