Vitagravy?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Vitagravy?

Postby phez718 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:34 am

I've seen it around and my friend recently asked me about it because his dog is underweight and doesn't like to eat his food. Does anybody use this? If so, what is your opinion?
phez718

Postby barbponys » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:40 pm

First question to ask is what is he feeding his dog. If it's grocery store...... have him read some of the posts here. Second, if his dog is truly a finicky eater and there's no medical reason for him not eating have him do a taste test. Get 6 or 8 samples of decent dog food(the pet store should have samples of every food they carry), put them in separate bowl, bags under the bowls and put them all out. Let him chose which one he likes. The one he FINISHES is the one he wants. He will probably sample them all......or he may walk to one and eat it. Depends on the dog.

As far as top dressing..... it isn't a solution. If the dog doesn't like his food he will lick the top dressing off and ignore the food. It's also crap. Lots of sugar, flavorings and other poop. Certainly not wasting his hard earned money on.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby phez718 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:03 pm

Well, his dog is a cocker and he feeds him Science Diet, but he is stubborn so I'm not getting in a big arguement with him about dog food.
phez718

Postby Stormbringer » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:48 pm

Science Diet is crap food pushed by Vets since they get a kick back for selling it.

There are far better foods available and the dog would be healthier.
Stormbringer

Postby barbponys » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:10 pm

Well,
If he's that stubborn then he will use the top dressing regardless. The dog will remain under weight and unhealthy. Science Diet will exacerbate ALL the issues Cockers have and he will die an early death. If he's a relatively young dog he's in for a life of misery. His choice.

Just my opinion here but he's not very open to what's best for his dog if he is unwilling to read and learn. Don't argue, just point him in the direction of someone who knows something about food..........NOT a vet!!!!! PLEASE!!! If he still won't listen wash your hands, there's no point in wasting your time and breath. Been there done that.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby phez718 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:47 pm

Yeah the dog is only about 7 months and as soon as I speak with my friend I will show him the posts on here and the websites of better dog foods such as Wellness, Innova, and Canidae. But if he still won't listen I am not arguing, its his dog.
phez718

Postby phez718 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:38 pm

Just my opinion here but he's not very open to what's best for his dog if he is unwilling to read and learn. Don't argue, just point him in the direction of someone who knows something about food..........NOT a vet!!!!! PLEASE!!! If he still won't listen wash your hands, there's no point in wasting your time and breath. Been there done that.

Success! Well, I finally got my friend on the Wellness, Canidae, and Innova websites. He really liked Wellness because the ingredients were WAY better than Science Diet(current diet) and it was close to his house. So we went to the Innova site to compare ingredients and he was shocked at some of the differences. All in all, I'm just really happy that the pup is on a better, HEALTHIER diet. :))
phez718

Postby barbponys » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:39 pm

That's outstanding news Pheasant. Glad it worked out so well.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Return to Health Issues