Ear problem?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Ear problem?

Postby rosiegirl » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:56 pm

For the last 2 days Rosie has been shaking her head a lot. She doesn't have stink ear so I am pretty sure its not an infection. Are there any other signs to look for an ear infection? I cleaned her ears last night too. I looked in her ears and didnt see anything. Other than the head shaking she is her normal healthy self. I will take her to the vet if something worse than head shaking happens, My vet already thinks I'm crazy because I bring her in for every little thing and it costs $50 for the office visit :oops:
rosiegirl

Postby buckaroo » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:37 pm

Ears don't have to smell bad for them to be infected. In fact, I've had dogs with ear infections before and they have never smelled bad.

If she doesn't seem like she's in pain, I'd wait a while and see if it resolves on its own.
buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby damienApbt » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:58 pm

my boy always gets like that around season changes. its his allergies. its only one ear though. my vet gave me this OtiCalm stuff to clean his ears out. and also a hydrocortisone solution if he keeps scratching at it.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby TB » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:01 pm

Any chance she's picked up a foxtail or something in her ear? Sometimes when they get a foreign body in there, they'll shake or hold their head cock-eyed-the "drunken sailor look" as we call it around here. Your vet can look deep down into the ear to see if anything's in there that might not be apparent to the naked eye.
TB
Adolescent Bully

Postby CinderDee » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:25 pm

If Kato has had problems with yeast(smells like dirty socks) in his ear(s) apple cider vinegar cut with water(50/50) will help keep that under control. Fill the ear canal half way and massage it(it's be squishy) in once a week should do the trick.

I had the same problem with my dog. It turned out to be his allergies, but I had to use ear meds on him.

I thought that the above suggestion from Barbponys was interesting. If you're sure that there's nothing in his ear maybe you can try the acv/water.

Dee
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby rosiegirl » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:12 am

I'm going to take her to the vet today. I was rubbing the base of her ears and she yelped so she must have something in there or a really sore ear :sad: .
Thanks for the suggestions.
rosiegirl

Postby Blue Steel » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:57 pm

Poor girl! What did the vet say?
Blue Steel

Postby rosiegirl » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:50 pm

$70 later the vet said she must have had some sort of trauma to her ear. No sign of an infection or anything yucky. She has been on some kind of painkiller/doggie tylenol since thursday and her ear isn't bothering her. Even with a soft muzzle on the vet wasn't able to get a look inside her ear canal because she kept shaking her head(the vet usually doesnt muzzle her but this time she had too because Rose wasn't liking the vet touching her ear with that big scope thing). She seems fine now and I can look in her ear and rub it and its ok, and i cleaned them again yesterday.
Here's what i think happened-Rosie likes to climb trees to chase the squirrels, and she was climbing a tree on monday and there is a whole bunch of broken sticks and twigs from her climbing. I think she either got poked in the ear with a stick and got an oweee :roll: or she fell off the tree onto her head/ear and got hurt that way. anyways, all is good now and I guess thats what happens when dogs climb trees :)
rosiegirl

Return to Health Issues