Answer these Springpole Questions for me!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Answer these Springpole Questions for me!!

Postby Angel_pitbull7139 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:03 pm

1) How used to the springpole does my dog have to get before I let her hang from it
2) I want to get a better bait for the springpole, what should I use?
3) I don't have a spring yet...just a rope tied to a branch. What size and kind of spring should I get? About how much do they cost?
5) Is it normal for her to make all kinds of funny growling, crying, and whining sounds as she wrestles with the thing?
6) What muscles does the springpole work?
7) If your dog runs around constantally in your yard and will play fetch with you relentlessly do you need a treadmill to make your dog really buff?
8 ) Does she think the springpole is a bull?
9) If your dog is hanging from the springpole and loses his grip but only falls about a foot, will they get hurt?
10) Will any non-bull breed dogs take to the springpole?
11) Will my dog accidently bite me if I touch her while she's playing with it?
12) If she listens to my release command when she's playing sprinpole does that mean she is less inclined to accidently bite me?
Angel_pitbull7139

Postby moto1320 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:18 pm

1.) She will hang in her own time once she gets the stamina

2.) Different dogs like different things. Some like burlap, mine like cotton rope.

3.)If the branch gives way, alot of people leave it at that. I use used innertubes from the local cycle shop. They work great, they free, and if the springlike device ever breaks...better rubber flying back at your dog than a spring. Using springs is just trial and error. They don't make springpole springs. You just have to go the hardware store and pick some out.

5.)Yes, that's normal. They growl and such even when playing with each other. Think: dog version of that grunt you hear at the gym from guys lifting weights. Most mammals have some noise they make when heavily exerting themselves.

6.)Depends on how high. Feet off the ground is going to be more back, jaws and neck-but they still have to jump for it, getting the legs in a different way. Feet on the ground will result in the dog using it's legs alot as well to pull at the tug. Really depends on how your dog uses it. Mine go bonkers and shake the living hell out of them so it works most everything.

7.) No, just alot of long walks with what he is doing already is fine. The few that have them here live in rainy climates, so it is more of a substitution than a requirement. He's just working out, not preparing for an event.

8.)Definately not.

9.)They can hurt themselves even when they aren't hanging. Twisted legs, backs, tails can all happen. But bulldogs are sturdy and mine have hurt themselves more being idiots and running into things than on the pole.

10.) Sometimes, not even all bullys take to the springpole. It's just the dogs preference.
moto1320
Regulator

Re: Answer these Springpole Questions for me!!

Postby jmann4 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:29 pm

1) How used to the springpole does my dog have to get before I let her hang from it

Play keep away from your dog and let it get the hang of playing with it before asking it to hang. Then either pull the dog up after they get a bite, or set the bite surface higher and have them jump to get the bite. Some dogs simply refuse to hang if their feet are off the ground.

2) I want to get a better bait for the springpole, what should I use?

Something like burlap or a cotton rope is good. I use a small airplane tire (see gallery, Just Hanging out). I like it better because they don't twist their neck to the side and get a better bite than on a rope.

3) I don't have a spring yet...just a rope tied to a branch. What size and kind of spring should I get? About how much do they cost?

Some items I've seen and read about being used include: bicycle inner tubes, wheel barrow inner tubes, garage door spring (buy at home depot or your local hardware store), short bungy cord or a strong piece of climbing rope.

5) Is it normal for her to make all kinds of funny growling, crying, and whining sounds as she wrestles with the thing?

She is just frustrated. Nothing to worry about. My dog Honey does the same thing. She gets very loud the longer she plays with it.

6) What muscles does the springpole work?

Pretty much all of them. I'd say the jaw and legs are the most worked out of all the muscles. They get a serious aerobic work out as well.

7) If your dog runs around constantally in your yard and will play fetch with you relentlessly do you need a treadmill to make your dog really buff?

Treadmills don't make dogs buff. They give them "air" or cardiovascular conditioning. It really depends on what you're doing. Some people have gorgeous, healthy, strong dogs and all they do is walk and play with them. Other's do the whole shabang and have treadmills, spring poles, flirt poles, etc... It really depends on your dogs ability, age, current health, and diet.

8 ) Does she think the springpole is a bull?

I wouldn't think so. She knows she has to grip and hold. Bull or rag. I'm pretty sure they know the difference though.

9) If your dog is hanging from the springpole and loses his grip but only falls about a foot, will they get hurt?

Depends on where they land. They could land funny on their leg, tail, head, and if it's enough force then yes, they can get hurt. But remember these are rough dogs that have the genetic make up to with stand very rough work.

10) Will any non-bull breed dogs take to the springpole?

Depends on the dog.

11) Will my dog accidently bite me if I touch her while she's playing with it?

If your dog bites you just for touching her while she's playing with it, then you need to check your dog. APBT's that are of sound character will not bite while excited.

I put my hand on the bite surface one time and Honey grabbed my hand and the toy. My mistake and it has never happened again. Just be careful.

12) If she listens to my release command when she's playing sprinpole does that mean she is less inclined to accidently bite me?

I wouldn't worry to much about getting bitten. If you get her to stop playing with it, put her in a sit-stay and that should do it.

Like I said, just be careful and be aware of what she is doing. The above accident happened when I turned around and was taking the toy off the pole. I didn't see her coming and she didn't know I had my hand directly on the toy.
jmann4

Return to Health Issues