What type of Spring should I use for the spring pole?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

What type of Spring should I use for the spring pole?

Postby JessaNGizmo » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:51 pm

Everyone tells me you want it to have no resistance, and it should be a garage door spring, Well those things are HUGE, I am building a holder attached to a 6 foot block wall, it will be built out so she cant use the wall to push off of or anything like that so I need it to be short but strong. Does that make since? LOL Any help will be appreciated!
Jessa 8l
JessaNGizmo

Re: What type of Spring should I use for the spring pole?

Postby Bo Svensson » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:29 am

Try to avoid any metal parts since they can and do cause serious damage to your dog when they break or come flying when something else breaks. Dogs have been blinded...

Climbers rope is elastic. An inner tube from a wheel barrel or a bicycle inner tube will work or you can find 1" bungee cord in most hardware stores.
Bo Svensson

Postby jmann4 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:05 am

I would use a garage door spring or a piece of thick bungy. Garage door springs are incredibly hard to break so I wouldn't worry to much about that happening.

I currently use a bungy rope. I did use a garage door spring but found the rope easier to set up and take down so I can take it with me to different places.
jmann4

Postby mnp13 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:10 am

I think 6 feet tall is going to be far too short unfortunately. Your dog standing on it's hind legs is probably about 4 feet tall, and they usually jump while playing as well. Your dog will end up bighting the spring/bungee - which can cause a serious injury.

We have the spring pole hanging from a tree limb. It goes chain to garage door spring to small rope to big rope for biting. The whole thing is probably 6 feet by itself. You have to make sure there is enough rope for them to bite and hang off without any danger of them getting high enough to get the spring itself.

We have one of the white cotton tug rope from PetSmart. It's about three feet long and two inches thick with three big knots. It was about $20, but because it's cotton it won't cause any damage if they swallow some of it. It is attached to the spring by a short piece of half inch nylon rope tied in a slip knot just below the last knot of the tug.
mnp13

Postby JessaNGizmo » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:44 pm

Hmmm

I guess I will have to put it out front, My neighbors are going to think we are crazy...I wanted to put it out back so they wouldnt have to be on a leash but I guess the 50 ft home made leash will do....Thanks everyone!!

Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Return to Health Issues