?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
yo mikey

?

Postby yo mikey » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:50 am

whats a good age to start breeding? and to what extent does it matter when it comes to age with breeding dawgs? juss curious!!?

Hondovious

Re: ?

Postby Hondovious » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:57 am

yo mikey wrote:whats a good age to start breeding? and to what extent does it matter when it comes to age with breeding dawgs? juss curious!!?

This thread will most likely be deleted, but just in case...

If you do not know what age a dog should be bred, you have absolutely no business even considering the matter. Do a search, get him neutered, and try and learn something from this board.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:59 am

A good age to start breeding? When you're old enough to do it correctly. When you're old enough to title your dogs in conformation and working events, as well as providing health testing to weed out genetic diseases. When you're old enough (or I guess young enough) to understand the impact what you're doing is going to have on the breed, and make this important decision.

I started breeding when I was 14. It was the perfect age evidently, because it taught me I don't want to do it again anytime soon.

Of course, if you're talking about the age of the dog... Between the ages of 2 and 6 is the ideal time. A dog has to be at least two years of age before they can get their clearances through the OFA, for one. But you can start earning those crucial titles while you wait, and get on compiling a waiting list (with deposits) of good homes willing to take the pups.

Of course, you can get a dog spayed or neutered as early as 8 weeks, or so they tell me.

stillhoneymooning
Matured Bully

Postby stillhoneymooning » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:57 am

A good time to start breeding your dog is after you've visited all the shelters in your area and asked them how many Pit Bulls they kill each week because no one wants them.

A good time to start breeding your dog is after you've visited Petfinder.com and there are absolutely NO Pit Bulls available for adoption in your area. That means there's obviously a shortage and you must start repopulating the breed immediately.

:cool:

stillhoneymooning
Matured Bully

Postby stillhoneymooning » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:07 am

By the way....just in case you're curious, right now there are 450 Pit Bulls available for adoption on Petfinder.com in Seattle right now!

No shortage appears imminent.

Here's a link to low cost spay/neuter certificates for your dog

http://www.friendsofanimals.org/sncert/index.html

$75 for a female dog
$54 for a male dog

Please do your dog and the rest of Pit Bulls a favor and spay/neuter immediately. If you truly love this breed, that's the only right thing to do.

blover27

Postby blover27 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:53 am

i knew this was coming when i saw this :roll: good luck

who00knows
Matured Bully
Location: Not at your local off leash dog park during peak hours

Postby who00knows » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:29 am

blover27 wrote:i knew this was coming when i saw this :roll: good luck

yup! This kills me.... :yucky:

LoveABull

Postby LoveABull » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:12 am

well... a dog should not be bred before APROX 2 years. the reason is they are just a bit too young for it, even though they might be PHYISICALLY capable.

that being said, I would not recommend breeding YOUR dog unless you intend to work him and prove him in something like weightpull. as pretty as your dog is (and don't get me wrong, he IS a handsome one!) his faults as compared to the APBT standard are too many to justify breeding for good conformation, and in light of the epic pitbull overpopulation crisis we are facing, anyone considering breeding MUST have a DARN good reason for it. (i/friends want puppies that look just like him, i want him to 'get some', and other various excuses are NOT GOOD ENOUGH)

now, with THAT being said... IF you do not intend to prove your dog worthy of breeding with some event other than conformation (weightpull, agility, flyball, tracking, even shutzhund or french ring) the fairest, and safest, thing to do is have him neutered. i say 'safest' because it has been statistically proven that when a dog (of any breed) bites, "there is an 8 out of 10 chance that a biting dog is male. (Humane Society of the United States.)" and of that 8 in 10, nearly ALL are intact.

your dog is not a human... he won't suddenly loose his muscle mass, he won't turn into a f**. he won't be any less a BOY without his 'boys'

i'm not saying DON'T breed at all... you must prove him worthy first, and get him health tested for genetic disorders.
i'm not saying you MUST neuter him... i'm saying its fairer and safer to do so if he's not to be bred, however, if you MUST keep him intact, you MUST be viligant that there are no "accidents".

please. think about what has been said... do the right thing.

pibbles and bits

Postby pibbles and bits » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:39 am

wow you guys are so....judgemental.....

ignore them. they like to be...rude.

for a female, no LESS then 2 years. for a male, i would prefer the same...

LoveABull

Postby LoveABull » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:41 am

its hard to not seem rude when every other day someone asks the same question that has been asked many times before, about an obviously sensitive subject.

i tried to not be rude, but informative and complete.

blover27

Postby blover27 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:45 am

bitchybear wrote:wow you guys are so....judgemental.....

ignore them. they like to be...rude.

you approve?

yo mikey

Postby yo mikey » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:16 am

ya, ya'lls are trippin'. i was juss curious. i know breeding's a big deal. Why do you think i only asked those 2 questions? i juss wanted 2 simple answers from you guys. instead ya'lls be writting paragraphs hahahahha. read carefully and follow directions next time, calm down, dont trip. how do you know im not asking these questions for my homie or something? quit jumping into conclusions. trust me ive done many studying on pits. i was born in the P.I. and raised in Hawaii. and Hawaii got madd pits there. basically raised around these guys, anyways to the members that tried to help, good lookin!

who00knows
Matured Bully
Location: Not at your local off leash dog park during peak hours

Postby who00knows » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:41 am

What did he just say? :wallbang:

Return to “Health Issues”