What kind of Dog Food does everyone use?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby JB » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:27 pm

I feed Innova. She's doing really well on it.
JB

Postby katsola » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:55 pm

Maya eats the Natural Balance Dry with a sprinkle of the Natural Balance sausage grated on top. She likes sardines, eggs, tuna and rice on occasion. I just addit as a treat from time to time as a treat. I have heard about the yogurt. I may try a sprinkie. I found out I was feeding her too much so now we are on a reduced plan.
katsola

Postby JaquelineC » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:32 am

I'm in the process of switching my two full grown boys from Diamond Lamb & Rice to Canidae (All Life Stages Dry) - My puppy is switching from Diamond Lamb & Rice Puppy to the Canidae as well.

I've heard so many great things about it... Just gotta give it a try. I like how it's all life stages, so I can supposedly feed it to all 3 of my dogs (at different ages and activity levels) and have each of them get exactly what they need out of it.

I picked up a few cans of the wet Chicken & Rice for my baby girl since she has 'puppy strep' right now and it's hard for her to swallow. I can't wait to see how they all do on it!
JaquelineC

Postby mnp13 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:40 am

JaquelineC wrote:I like how it's all life stages, so I can supposedly feed it to all 3 of my dogs (at different ages and activity levels) and have each of them get exactly what they need out of it.

I'm just curious as to how that would work. Humans have drastically different nutritional needs in youth, adulthood and old age, as well as different needs depending on activity level.

I don't doubt that's what the label says, but it doesn't make much sense to me?

Michelle
mnp13

Actually, it IS on the label...

Postby JaquelineC » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:18 pm

Why Feed an All Life Stage Formula?

At CANIDAE Pet Foods we have created an All Life Stages Formula for your dog called CANIDAE, and an All Life Stages Formula for your cats called FELIDAE. Both formulas are true All Natural, All Life Stages feral type diets that provide optimum nutrition for the ones you love.

In nature your pets couldn’t choose between a puppy, kitten, or light formulation, only a diet of mainly meats and small amounts of grain. They simply eat more or less, depending on age and activity levels.

CANIDAE and FELIDAE both contain more than 50% of Human Grade Meat Meals. We have also included digestive enzymes that closely resemble those found in nature.

Puppies will require a higher caloric intake as an adult, therefore we suggest feeding twice as much to puppies up to 6 months of age. Our standard recommended feeding guidelines for an adult dog is 1 cup for every 25lbs of body weight. You can be assured with 466.25 kcal per cup, your puppy will be getting more than most standard puppy foods on the market. Our beliefs are the same for your felines as well. With FELIDAE we offer 543.00 kcal per cup with a recommended feeding guideline of 1/4 cup per 5lbs of body weight. We have found that free choice feedings work out best for kittens and nursing queens.

You can be assured your adult dogs and cats are getting the best they deserve with our feral type diets which contain; 4 Antibiotic and Hormone free meats as the main ingredients which also includes whole grain rice, balanced omega 6 and 3 fatty acids, probiotics, digestive enzymes, antioxidant vitamins, chelated minerals, and a total of 10 natural skin and coat conditioners. All of this without the use of allergic irritating corn, wheat, soy, or other cheap grain fractions or fillers. Just the perfect diet for your canines or felines.

Overweight dogs and cats don’t deserve lower quality ingredients to loose weight like; beet pulp, bran, hulls, flours, or any other cheap fillers. They simply need your help in providing them with the proper amount of high quality CANIDAE or FELIDAE. Feeding at least twice a day and approximately 50% less than our standard recommended feeding guidelines will yield you the results you are looking for. Exercise will not only help the condition of your pets, but will also bring you closer to your loved ones!

Senior dogs and cats require smaller quantities of a more efficient food, like CANIDAE and FELIDAE, not excessive amounts of low cost undigestible fillers and fibers. Senior dogs and cats intestines become less efficient with age and are less able to digest and absorb, therefore feeding low quality fibers and fats are an extreme disservice as well. CANIDAE and FELIDAE include probiotics, digestive enzymes, and chelated minerals for better absorption and utilization of meats, carbohydrates, and fats.

Breeding and Working dogs require higher calories without excessive volume. Breeders can also enjoy the fact they are doing the absolute best for their dogs and cats with only purchasing one formula for their kennel. At whelping, the food in the bitch or queen is what produced the high nutrient milk, therefore there will be no digestive troubles when the food is introduced to the puppies and kittens. Working dogs will require a higher caloric intake, therefore increasing the amount of food consumed will offer superb performance.

http://www.canidae.com

You can go to the ingredients page and see that the bag does in fact say 'All Life Stages' - And has feeding guidelines for all ages of dogs.

Canidae does offer a 'Platinum' line of food for overweight and senior dogs, but they claim the 'All Life Stages' formula works too.
:))
JaquelineC

Postby mnp13 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:57 pm

Thanks!
mnp13

Postby pitbullluvrs » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:45 pm

I feed all 3 of my boys timberwolf organics, and I'm very happy with the results. They also feed for all life stages.
pitbullluvrs

Postby heather » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:22 pm

i just switched from purina one to wellness. so far she loves it and it costs less because you only feed 2cups a day instead of 3--the ingredients are really clean
heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby apbtboxermom » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:17 am

Someone was asking why Iams is bad??? Iams/Eukanuba are the same, check out www.iamscruely.com :naughty:
apbtboxermom

Postby Boo439 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:20 am

apbtboxermom wrote:Someone was asking why Iams is bad??? Iams/Eukanuba are the same, check out www.iamscruely.com :naughty:

Link doesn't work. I assume it's www.iamscruelty.com
Boo439

Postby apbtboxermom » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:46 am

Yup, it's www.iamscruelty.com . Sorry for the typo, my fingers aren't awake yet. 8(
apbtboxermom

Postby heather » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:08 am

i am a vegetarian and not a fan of the tactics (tho not necessarily the cause) of what the peta does. i have had some lengthy back and forth emails about bsl with them. they do some good stuff with anti-chaining and of course factory farming (i prefer the humane farming association though). However, i decided to write to iams myself and basically got a ridiculous response which included a pitch for a new toothpaste. i answered back saying that i expected a true response to the specific allegations. they never answered back. i think everything should be given examination and i gave them the chance to refute and explain and they failed. :sad:
heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby hyperbole » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:32 am

apbtboxermom wrote:Yup, it's www.iamscruelty.com . Sorry for the typo, my fingers aren't awake yet. 8(

Wow, I'll never buy Iams. :(
hyperbole

Postby heather » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:25 am

my sister works in seattle and she met a relative of the people who own Iams and they basically said that they are only in it for the money and they are pretty nasty folks. the lady is related by marraige and told my sister to steer clear. it was the same day i found out about it. like i said they should have made an attempt to answer my questions directly. it would have been better to not answer me at all than just give me some pr bs. :po:
heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby chalkline » Tue May 18, 2004 3:22 am

Has anyone used the new NUTRO line of food that has come out??? It is called NUTRO Ultra and it looks pretty good. I just switched my pup on it from IAMS. I'm glad I did it to after I read this thread..lol. But anyway Milenko seems to like it better than the IAMS and it looks alot healthier. The ingredients are all natural and they are alot easier to read than Canidae.......I mean what the heck is dried enterococcus faecium and dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract?? lol Well anyways here is a list of ingredients for the Nutro Ultra:

Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Rice Bran, Lamb Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, natural source of Linoleic Acid), Ground Rice, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, natural source of Linoleic Acid), Flaxseed (natural source of Alpha-Linolenic Acid), Natural Flavors, Beet Pulp, Alfalfa (natural source of Chlorophyll), Salmon Meal (natural source of DHA), Oatmeal, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Fish Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, natural source of DHA), Cranberry, Dried Egg Product, Kelp (natural source of Iodine), Taurine, Bacillus Lichenformis Fermentation Extract, Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, L-Carnitine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Garlic (natural source of Selenium), Marigold Extract (natural source of Lutein), Lycopene.

Natural Choice Ultra Vitamins & Minerals
Potassium Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflaven Supplement (source of Vitamin B-2), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxene Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Beta-Carotene, Menadione Sodium Complex (source of Vitamin K activitiy), Folic Acid.
Nutro supports the safe, ethical and humane treatment of all animals, including those used by our suppliers who provide our ingredients.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 30.00%
Crude Fat (min) 15.00%
Crude Fiber (max) 4.00%
Moisture (max) 10.00%
Linoleic Acid (min) 4.00%
Zinc (min) 250 mg/kg
Vitamin E (min) 160 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid* (min) 35 mg/kg
Docosahexanoic Acid* (DHA)(min) 0.03 mg/kg
Alpha-Linolenic Acid (min)* 0.65%
L-Carnitine* (min) 75.00 mg/kg
Lutein(min)* 10.00 mg/kg
Beta-Carotene (min) 0.50 mg/kg
Lycopene (min) 0.25 mg/kg
Taurine (min) 1000 mg/kg
Selenium (min) 0.30 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate* (min) 150 mg/kg
Glucosamine (min)* 190 mg/kg

The only thing I noticed about the Canidae is that you feed them less so you will probably save some money and also the NUTRO is a little bit more expensive, but if it is a better quality food then I think the few extra dollars are worth it. Well let me know if you are using it or what you think.
chalkline

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues