Puppies:Adult food or puppy food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Puppies:Adult food or puppy food?

Postby THEDUKE51 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:10 pm

I have heard that puppies require more fat protein,and calcium in there diet to help mucle and bone growth,and that puppy food accomplishes this. But I have also heard that puppy food contains to much of these and that their muscles don't develop as fast as there bone structure and that adult food is healthier, so what is the popular opinion on this?[/list]
THEDUKE51

Postby mnp13 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:32 pm

Get the puppy food. It is far higher in calories, and nutritional content and your puppy needs all of that to grow and be active. Check the nutritional content of the food. Every high quality brand has a puppy formula.
mnp13

Postby jmann4 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:42 pm

A lot of performance dog breeders recommend feeding adult food to puppies and adults alike. It really depends on you and your dog though.

If you have a high energy dog that gets plenty of exercise I would move them to adult food at around 3-5 months. I have been feeding my female Angel adult food since she was 4 months old without any health problems to speak of.
jmann4

Postby pocketpit » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:26 pm

For most pitties, puppy food or adult food should be fine. I'd feed the puppy food if it were me. Large, fast growing breeds of dogs can have problems with the rich content of puppy foods and sometimes need to be switched to an adult food sooner than most other breeds. I usually begin feeding adult food around 4 months of age as well.
pocketpit

Postby concreterose » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:20 pm

I started Vicki on adult food @ 7 months. She didn't have any problems with the switch. And I like how she's physically maturing, slow and steady...no quick growth spurts.
concreterose
Regulator

Return to Health Issues