Healthy House Cleaning (Long but food for thought)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Healthy House Cleaning (Long but food for thought)

Postby concreterose » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:52 pm

Just wondering, what kinds of household chemicals you all use to clean your houses/apartments. A couple of months ago, when I started Pookie's homeopathic regime I was told that I couldn't use ANY household chemicals to clean. I was distressed to say the least. I began buying chemical free products from the health food store, but they were so expensive I couldn't afford it along with buying organic stuff for her diet!
So I began doing some research on the web and found this really great book:
Clean House Clean Planet
and another one:
Better Basics For the Home
They have both been blessings to my household. They give super recipes that you can use to make your own cleaner (they work great too and smell yummy! :thumbsup:) out of simple, cheap non-toxic stuff you probably already have in your house. They also cool (but scary) facts on what's in commercial cleaners and the effect it has on our indoor air and well being. I highly recommend both of them.

Do you ever think about the chemicals your dog is licking if they 'clean your floor' for you? Or what they are breathing that low to the ground, plus going past cabinets that have cleaner, etc. in them? The fumes of many cleaners stored together are very toxic even if they are not being sprayed into the air! Also, think about what we (humans) are breathing and getting on our skin with these chemicals!!! Not to mention all the carcinogens in the chemicals that we buy and use that we are not told about. You can feel and smell how the quality of our air in our home has changed since we stopped using chemical cleaner.

Here's an example of a couple of cleaners I make that work super, and are cheap. The biggest investment I made was to buy a gallon of Dr. Bronners Castille soap, which has so many household uses and lasts so long that it's very cost effective, and some essential oils (not synthetic).

Antiseptic Spray:
Fill a 16 oz. spray bottle with distilled or filtered water (less minerals, cleans better)
Add two tablespoons of liquid castille soap (I like almond or eucalyptus)
Add 20-25 drops of tea tree oil
Shake up the mixture really good. You can use this spray for anything. I use it to wipe down counters, clean muddy paws off and the floor when they come in, cleaning toilets, disinfecting the garbage can, and cleaning my own hands!

All Purpose Spray:
Heat about 15 oz. of filtered or distilled water and pour it in a 16 oz. spray bottle. Add one tsp. of borax and shake until it dissolves. Add two tablespoons of castille soap and shake. I add about 20 drops of lavendar or lemon oil to this, it smells great! Borax is mildly toxic if ingested, so don't use it on paws or the floor.

There's a ton of other recipes in the books, check them out, you will be pleasantly surprised and your families bodies and your doggies will thank you!
:thumbsup:
Last edited by concreterose on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby concreterose » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:56 pm

Yep, we don't use anything antibacterial anymore either! I use vinegar and hot water to clean the floor. I add some lemon oil to the vinegar and it really cuts the vinegar smell. It makes the floor so shiny!
concreterose
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:59 pm

Anti-bacterial stuff is VERY VERY bad. The germ phobia in this country is the source of MANY diseases. If you are never exposed to germs then you never become immune to them.

There is also a lot of research on the 'super germs' that are developing due to them resisting the anti-bacterial stuff.

I try to keep the chemical use in my house to a minimum.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby Svafa » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:16 pm

A good friend of mine just got one of those hand-held steamers that "sanitizes" by using heat/steam. I realize you can't use it on everything, but I'm excited to hear how her's works because I've always wanted one for the kitchen. I use very few chemicals myself (it has dual purpose, too, we're on septic and I hate the thought of pouring bleach or something into that system!). I'm always looking for various ways to keep things clean around the house and vinegar is my friend! :))
Svafa

Postby Boo439 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:28 pm

mnp13 wrote:Anti-bacterial stuff is VERY VERY bad. The germ phobia in this country is the source of MANY diseases. If you are never exposed to germs then you never become immune to them.

There is also a lot of research on the 'super germs' that are developing due to them resisting the anti-bacterial stuff.

I try to keep the chemical use in my house to a minimum.

Michelle

So what am I supposed to do as a hospital worker? Wash my hands with lemons and vinegar? I'd be fired in a heart beat. No sarcasm intended, just curious. Anti-bacterial stuff may be "VERY VERY bad" but not everyone has a choice in the matter.
Boo439

Postby concreterose » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:30 pm

Boo439 wrote:So what am I supposed to do as a hospital worker? Wash my hands with lemons and vinegar? I'd be fired in a heart beat. No sarcasm intended, just curious. Anti-bacterial stuff may be "VERY VERY bad" but not everyone has a choice in the matter.

Of course a hospital situation is very different than your home. I understand that completely and understand that it is totally out of your control!
concreterose
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:34 pm

Boo439 wrote:So what am I supposed to do as a hospital worker? Wash my hands with lemons and vinegar? I'd be fired in a heart beat. No sarcasm intended, just curious. Anti-bacterial stuff may be "VERY VERY bad" but not everyone has a choice in the matter.

You, as a hospital worker, are in a completely different situation than the normal, average Joe Family.

You are around nasty infectious diseases every day, most people are not.

The hyper sanitation I am talking about is the usual 'wipe everything with bleach', 'spray lysol in the air', 'icky germs in a sponge' crap that you see on the TV and on the news every day.

It's right up with raw milk and rare meat will kill you.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby Boo439 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:35 pm

It's too bad there aren't any alternatives, because I know of a few girls that have had to quit because of reactions to the anti-microbial soap. I don't use the hospital's sanitizer, it reeks of alcohol. I get mine from The Bath & Body Works. At least that way I am following protocol and I smell good :))
Boo439

Postby Boo439 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:41 pm

mnp13 wrote:You are around nasty infectious diseases every day, most people are not.

You ain't kiddin' sister! lol My usuals are MRSA, C. Diff, VRE, RSV, and TB. You name it, I've probably encountered a patient with it. Except Shingles. I didn't have Chicken Pox when I was a kid, so I don't treat those patients.
Boo439

Postby cisom » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:21 pm

The ladies that clean our house use vinegar. It seems to work well but I really don't like the house smelling like a pickle factory when I get home. :crybaby:
cisom
Matured Bully

Postby Svafa » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:23 pm

cisom wrote:The ladies that clean our house use vinegar. It seems to work well but I really don't like the house smelling like a pickle factory when I get home. :crybaby:

Have them add some lemon to the vinegar like concrete suggested. :thumbsup:
Svafa

Postby cisom » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:34 pm

adoptAshelterPit wrote:
The ladies that clean our house...

well la ti da! arent you special!?

roflmao

:headbang: Yes we are. But I do still cut my own grass/weeds and scoop poop. :tongue:
cisom
Matured Bully

Postby cisom » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:51 pm

It may take them awhile to get there and I'm not sure how much they charge for windshield time, but I can mention it to them.
cisom
Matured Bully

Postby Maximus » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:12 pm

What an awesome thread! It's amazing the amount of chemicals people are accustomed to living with. We try not to use chemicals at all in our house, either. Vinegar works wonders! And my other two favorite words: Baking Soda!
Maximus

Postby Leslie H » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:52 pm

What do you guys use to clean up after raw meat prep?
Leslie H
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues