Testing a dog with cats

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:50 am

He was about 7 months old in that video, and he's almost 2 now. He still tries to play with the cat despite the fact that the cat never has warmed up to him- just tolerates him. He has been known to bring toys to the cat, and he jumps around like a maniac in front of the cat like he's soliciting play, but kitty only gets pissy and slaps him. Ziggy has decided the slaps are a game since Riley (the cat) has gotten more tolerant and stopped using claws. He'll try to slap back sometimes-- looks like he's mimicking.

New cats like cats he sees outside, he never gets to meet so all I know is that he's interested in them and wants to go towards them. New cats that he has gotten to meet are a friend's cat when I went over to her house (he was very rude, though friendly, he refused to take a hint), and a couple of pet-store cats who hissed and swatted at him. I wanted to keep him there long enough for him to get over his initial excitement phase and settle down without sniffing the cats so I could reward him for some calm behavior, but since the pet store employees didn't look comfortable with that we just moved on.

He's like that with cats and with other dogs-- very intense and high-energy at first, and if you keep him in the situation at a moderate distance for a little while, he settles down a bit and can focus better and be more polite.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Tue May 01, 2007 12:21 pm

Awesome post! My dog definitely goes into that first photo mode around strange cats outside. Or any small furry thing for that matter. But with our two cats she's manageable as long as she knows she won't get away with any nastiness. Since bringing the kitten home though we started feeding her in the garage and leaving her food bowl out there too. She's just too possisive over it with them. With the rats she's OK with them as long they don't try to climb on her face. She hates that!

vader15
Newborn Bully

Postby vader15 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:28 pm

good post. this wil help me a lot. coz my dog and my cat wont get along.my dog just kip on barking and barking at the cat and chasing him all over the house. now i know what to do. im gonna try this.

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

A bit long...

Postby Chasesmom » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:44 pm

This is a really great post...good info.

I have a question actually about the cats...Can you teach them to be friendly with the dog?! We have two cats and Chase is very interested in both of them. Monkey (the kitten) will just roll over on her back if Chase comes near her and at that point Chase will paw at her and smell her. Sometimes he gets too rough when he is pawing at her, not to sure if he's being playful or what, and monkey will hiss and finally try to get away. Chase does have a very high chasing drive with the cats and seems to think it is a game if they run away. We are not sure how to stop that and most of the time it is hard to get him to listen when he is on the move or sniffing under the chair because monkey is hiding under there. Synester (my older cat) HATES ALL DOGS. If Chase comes anywhere near him, he will just swat him in the face. Sometimes I think Chase gets so frustrated because he just wants to play with them! He will lay on the floor and bark/growl playfull and play bow while synester just sits there looking at him like 'what is up with this guy'. The other day Chase was playing with Monkey and he did something to piss her off so she hissed and swatted..chase backed away, but synester jumped down off of the heather and ran up like he was going to protect monkey if anything happened. It was really cute. Anyway, off subject, how do you get your cats used to dogs (if possible) and is there anyway to teach chase that he can't paw at the kitties so hard without scolding him since he is, in his mind, being playful.

Sorry about the rambling, just wanted to paint a good pic for whoever is unfortunate enough to read this.

:))

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:46 pm

*heater

Sorry wrote it kind of
quick

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:41 pm

Our cat didn't like dogs at all...Duke grew up with our kitty so he learned to leave the kitty alone...but when we brought Lexus home she tried to eat our cat on several occasions. We just basically taught her that cats are off-limits. If she went to mess with the cat, she got her prong collar put on and a leash with a stern no. Now if I see her eyeballing the kitty, I say her name in that "don't-you-dare" tone, and she finds something else to do. It took a lot of work. The difference between us is that your kitty wants to play with the dogs, and ours doesn't. But I would just teach the dogs to ignore the kitties.

Jen
Matured Bully

Postby Jen » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:38 pm

Great post, and the pictures are wonderful to see body language to match what you're talking about.

Lady is very very prey-driven for smaller animals and non-responsive when she's focused on one she wants to eat. We fostered a cat for a while who was just in some serious need, and while we attempted to socialize and introduce the cat into the dog's life, it was obvious fairly quickly that being in a cat-free house is best for our dog. We fostered the sweet persian (who we named Marshmallow *L*) until she was healthy and then she went to her forever home.

No more cats for this household!

Hockinsonj

Postby Hockinsonj » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 pm

that is a really great article.. i wish i knew the right way to have done that a few years ago.. my first pit i ever had was the most expensive and the most stupid lol , I was living with my girlfreind and her mom while we saved up the money to get our own home . i built a fenced in pen out in the back of the property for my dog so he wouldnt run away while i was at work . i just dont belive in chaining them up .. my mother in law has more cats than the animal shelter.. this was the first time my dog has ever seen a cat and we wanted him to get along with the cats cause her mom has 2 dogs that all the cats get along with .. we took one of the cats and put in in our lap , so just in case he acted up we could control the situation . it went ok the we let them go and my dog was overly aggresive and didnt know what a cat was . he keept buggin the cat and trying to play with it like it was a big dog and the cat got pissed off and started to kick my dogs butt , my dog was actually scared at this point and runing from the cat , we had to go pull the cat off my dog this cat was a supper cat i guess ive never seen a cat get pissed and do anything like what this one was doing.. i figured my dog would always be scared of the cats after this bad experience ... i was dead wrong the next time he got out of the fence he targeted that one specific cat out of 20 cats and went for and instant kill.. i couldnt belive what had happend after that all first kill he got hungry for more and every time he got loose he went after cats ...

coweatchicken

Postby coweatchicken » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:07 pm

Hockinsonj wrote:that is a really great article.. i wish i knew the right way to have done that a few years ago.. my first pit i ever had was the most expensive and the most stupid lol , I was living with my girlfreind and her mom while we saved up the money to get our own home . i built a fenced in pen out in the back of the property for my dog so he wouldnt run away while i was at work . i just dont belive in chaining them up .. my mother in law has more cats than the animal shelter.. this was the first time my dog has ever seen a cat and we wanted him to get along with the cats cause her mom has 2 dogs that all the cats get along with .. we took one of the cats and put in in our lap , so just in case he acted up we could control the situation . it went ok the we let them go and my dog was overly aggresive and didnt know what a cat was . he keept buggin the cat and trying to play with it like it was a big dog and the cat got pissed off and started to kick my dogs butt , my dog was actually scared at this point and runing from the cat , we had to go pull the cat off my dog this cat was a supper cat i guess ive never seen a cat get pissed and do anything like what this one was doing.. i figured my dog would always be scared of the cats after this bad experience ... i was dead wrong the next time he got out of the fence he targeted that one specific cat out of 20 cats and went for and instant kill.. i couldnt belive what had happend after that all first kill he got hungry for more and every time he got loose he went after cats ...

My cat Murphy thinks everyone is his buddy and he's the kind of cat that never stops purring. A friend of mine brought over their border collie (I didn't know they were bringing the dog at all) and I didn't have time to put the cats away in their room before the dog started chasing them. Murphy actually chased the dog, jumped on him, and proceeded to whup ass. The dog was crying and trying to get away and I had to pull Murphy off of him. After that the dog wouldn't even look at the cats and Murphy sat on the sofa next to my friend going on like a little motor boat. No one was seriously injured.

sid
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby sid » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:20 pm

hah, my dog is the first picture but with the cat in his mouth. He is my anti cat weapon, I hate them, damn cats chocolate everywhere.
As a cat kills a bird it's just natural for dogs to kill cats:)

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:04 pm

sid wrote:hah, my dog is the first picture but with the cat in his mouth. He is my anti cat weapon, I hate them, damn cats chocolate everywhere.
As a cat kills a bird it's just natural for dogs to kill cats:)

whats amatter Sid, no one hug you on Valentines Day?
I have had many dogs in here that came in cat eaters and left living quite in harmony. Most dogs its in the handlers.. if you hate cats, and train that way you get what you get...sometimes even if you dont know you are doing that training.

DryBear
Newborn Bully

Re: A bit long...

Postby DryBear » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:24 pm

Chasesmom wrote:This is a really great post...good info.

I have a question actually about the cats...Can you teach them to be friendly with the dog?! We have two cats and Chase is very interested in both of them. Monkey (the kitten) will just roll over on her back if Chase comes near her and at that point Chase will paw at her and smell her. Sometimes he gets too rough when he is pawing at her, not to sure if he's being playful or what, and monkey will hiss and finally try to get away. Chase does have a very high chasing drive with the cats and seems to think it is a game if they run away. We are not sure how to stop that and most of the time it is hard to get him to listen when he is on the move or sniffing under the chair because monkey is hiding under there. Synester (my older cat) HATES ALL DOGS. If Chase comes anywhere near him, he will just swat him in the face. Sometimes I think Chase gets so frustrated because he just wants to play with them! He will lay on the floor and bark/growl playfull and play bow while synester just sits there looking at him like 'what is up with this guy'. The other day Chase was playing with Monkey and he did something to piss her off so she hissed and swatted..chase backed away, but synester jumped down off of the heather and ran up like he was going to protect monkey if anything happened. It was really cute. Anyway, off subject, how do you get your cats used to dogs (if possible) and is there anyway to teach chase that he can't paw at the kitties so hard without scolding him since he is, in his mind, being playful.

Sorry about the rambling, just wanted to paint a good pic for whoever is unfortunate enough to read this.

:))

I'm kind of in the same situation right now, with 2 cats. When we first brought Ella home, she seemed to want to chase the cats, but with lots of work, it appears that she is only just curious about them now. Our older cat, Mira, is a bit standoffish, and will swat at Ella if she approaches her. Just yesterday, while Mira was meowing to be let outside at the front door, Ella walked up and licked her tail like a lollipop :lol:. This startled Mira, who quickly spun around and hissed. Ella backed up like "woah" and I let Mira out.

Our other cat, Junior, on the other hand, seems to really dislike Ella on some days, and just tolerates her on others. I've got them to the point where they will eat their breakfast in the kitchen a few apart, but after a while, Junior will start growling. Sometimes, he will even try and *chase* Ella. One time he did a sneak attack and jumped on poor Ella's back from the staircase.

Currently I will sit with both Ella and Junior, with myself between them, and petting both of them while giving some treats and encouragement, I try to do this once a day - any suggestions on other things to do?

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:16 pm

Great post! So....how do I find a cat that will tolerate this test?
Do you have a seperate test to see if a husband might be cat aggressive? If maybe HE could live peacefully with one, lol?

PittiMama03031
Newborn Bully

This is off topic,

Postby PittiMama03031 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:36 am

What if your dog does what thie first dog is doing , but toward other dogs? Moose does what is described, but as soon as he is allowed to say hi to the other dog he doesn't show any signs of aggression that I have seen. Is this behaviour something that could cause a problem?

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:29 am

What if your dog is the one in the first picture (ever since he was 5 mon. old), but dog and cat accidentally end up in same space - dog runs over to cat, cat hunkers down, dog shoves nose onto cat and sniffs and "nibbles" and smooshes w/ nose, then dog lays down w/ paw holding cat down, and they begin to play fight?!? I totally thought the dog (Cuervo) was going to SHRED the cat! He'd squeal and whine and scream and pace and jump and basically FREAK OUT everytime he saw the cat (Sher Khan). But when they got together they just played. They still play that way. Very rough. I stop it sometimes when the cat hisses, but then the cat just runs and pounces on the dog's head and bites him (gently, no breaking the skin), so apparently the cat likes it. I've NEVER seen cats and dogs actually play together. I need to get ya'll a video, but I have no idea how to upload it.

But now Cuervo acts that way towards all cats and when he tries the smoosh-nose-paw-over-back-nibble move, he gets swatted. Last time he got swatted, he got pissed and growled and lunged as if "Now its ON!" He seemed ANGRY. I'm scared he really will eat it, if it doesn't play with him.

Return to “Training and Behavior”