How to Make a Dog Vomit

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby bigmacbubba » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:17 pm

anyone????
bigmacbubba
Newborn Bully

Postby Roxers » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:28 pm

I've heard of lots of dogs who have done this same thing. He may have been trying to hide the fact that he went in his kennel. It's definitely not unusual for him to vomit after that, but he should be fine in a little while. If he continues to vomit, you should probably consider taking him into the vet. I would expect him to be fine by tomorrow, though.
Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: How to Make a Dog Vomit

Postby nickynoneck » Mon May 12, 2008 9:25 am

mnp13 wrote:FIRST: IF IN DOUBT, CALL YOUR VET. There are some poisons / items that are best left in the dog. Inducing vomiting could cause further damage in some cases. Most vets will tell you over the phone to induce vomiting or not.

In the case of ibuprophen it always a 'make them vomit', as the longer the pills sit in the stomach the higher the risk for gastric ulcers and/or renal damage.

If you just watched your dog gulp down a pair of underware or a rat (and you know who you are!) and you'd like them to return them to you, follow the simple steps outlined below!

1. Feed the dog a nice big bowl of food so it has some extra 'stuff' to throw up. In the case of pills this makes it more probable that that all of the pills will come up. In the case of other nasty stuff, it gives the dog more volume to help things come up easier (important when you need to get bones or plastic to come up)

2. Use a medicine dropper - sold at any pharmacy for giving kids medicine - to give the dog 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide. Three teaspoons = 1 tablespoon. Hold the dog's mouth open and stick the dropper in their throat, then hold the dog's mouth shut to force them to swallow.

3. Back up and wait.

You MUST have 'fresh' hydrogen peroxide for this. To test your HP, put a little in your mouth, it should fizz immediately. If not go get a new bottle. The HP will fizz when it hits the dog's stomach, your dog may foam at the mouth for a bit and vomit a little. DO NOT bring your dog in after the first 'spit up'. Until they have really heaved a few times they are not done. It can take about 15 minutes. If they have not vomited in that time, give another tablespoon of HP.

Don't let the dog eat or drink for a few hours or they may vomit it up again. I let Ruby drink and vomit a few times to clear the bad taste out, so we just stayed in the yard for an hour or so.

Be prepared for lots of dirty looks from your dog.

Michelle

we had to do this with fedor once but we used a teaspoon of salt took 20 secs and he threw up the peice of blanket !
nickynoneck
Adolescent Bully

Postby uid0 » Sat May 24, 2008 6:05 am

For me and my dogs the hydrogen peroxide has been hit and miss as far as getting them to vomit. Beltaine needed 4 TBS over an hour plus a walk to get her to yak.

The best thing I've ever seen to make a dog vomit is apomorphine. An E-vet had to use it on Solstice once. A drop of it in the corner of his eye and about 30 seconds later up it came.
uid0
Newborn Bully

Postby Zexel » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:19 am

Brynlee ate 2 of Stacey's small socks. Very small and thin material. Big 'ole breakfast fixed her right up. Scared me to death though.
Zexel
Newborn Bully

Postby MyDogsRock022 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:09 pm

Nala eats anything in the house she can find when nobody is home. As of recently she has eaten bras,underwear,drywall and rocks. Okay so this was vert scary but now I can share it with all of you as a funny story. Here goes...............

My sister lives with me and she is overweight, so her underwear are a little larger than average. Nala eats them as well as bras. I came home to find to underwear bands in the hallway, no panties left just the elastic!!
I right away called the vet in panic mode preparing to pay thousands to save my dog fearing she would have to surgically have womens underwear cut out of her insides. The vet told me the larger the dog is sized the better chance of her passing them and to just wait it out. If I wasn't comftrqable to give her a few CANS of dog food as it would clean her out. Well nala passed them, the next she when I looked out the window I saw a "pile" intertwined with hot pink.

Anyways I am glad I read this I never knew about the peroxide trick. Very good info to have and remember about the wet canned food~
MyDogsRock022
Newborn Bully

Postby Pictures4Pitbulls » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:58 am

I wish I belonged here about a year ago. My Canaan, Niko, ate 27 chocolate covered cherries and 40 chocolate covered macadamian nuts...needless-to-say we had a HUGE pile of regurgatated chocolates :yucky:
Pictures4Pitbulls
Matured Bully

two expensive reasons to induce vomiting

Postby Phil O » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:22 pm

Roxie really, really likes the taste of Sentinel Flavor tabs. Luckily she spit out the blister packs they came in, but she ate 9 doses. I knew about the peroxide trick, but that means so does she. That makes it a bit tough to get her to take it these days. The poison control center ( or whatever it's called) had an 800 number on the packaging. They suggested mixing the peroxide with a little milk to make it palatable to the dog. Worked like a charm.

Oh, the other thing... Never, ever let your dog find a box of paintballs. Apparently, while not technically "toxic" eating even 8-10 of them can cause such severe diarrhea that the dog becomes severly dehydrated and the resulting electrolyte imbalance can lead to coma and death. My 2 dogs "shared" more or less equally in a feast of 437 paintballs. We induced vomiting (technicolor) as soon as we realized what had happened, then the pair spent 2 days at the clinic on IV fluids.
Phil O
Newborn Bully

Postby Marley44 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:08 am

Other options:
- Warm salt water
- Hydrogen Peroxide soaked bread or mix with PButter

Poison control recommends having the dog with a full stomach to help the food come up, so bulk feed some bread.

Also, if a sharp object is eaten (okay, it's christmas, so anything on your tree) bulk feed with bread to help protect the intestines.

:thumbsup: Good luck, vomit inducers.
Marley44
Newborn Bully

Postby Shoshana » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:11 pm

I knew about the peroxide because I used to dogsit a pup who'd eat pretty much anything. I didn't know about feeding them - mostly cause the goofy dog had already eaten too much (8 cups of dogfood, or a big bag of dry rice and then drank water) the first few times I heard about it. I never had to do it to her. Later on she varied her diet - stockings, socks, underwear, washrags. 3 times in 3 months she had to have obstruction surgery....

Dogs like the taste of peroxide, at least until they get to reaizing the cause and effect.

I had to give Peanut some when I thought she ate a pill I dropped on the floor. Turns out that she dropped it when I bellowed at her and if she had eaten it, it wouldn't have hurt her anyway.

She once ate a multivitamin that must have been lost in the house for years.. I didn't know till she was playing outside later, drank water from the faucet too fast and threw up the water and the pill - which I snagged before she could eat it again!
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby heartbullies » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:58 am

I have to say from experience that the peroxide:

a. doesn't stay "fresh" very long, it seems like well under six months after opening the bottle loses its fizz

b. is not available after 10PM at night when you are in a small podunk town

c. does not always guarantee successful, stomach-emptying vomiting. *some* of the food will be vomited but for vomit-resistant dogs (certainly not talking about anyone I know) the offending item may still remain in their stomach

I have not tried the salt. Yet. For now I am just waiting to see if what went in, comes out from Booker's latest dorky attempt to end his own life.
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby DannyNyce » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:05 pm

moto1320 wrote:Here is an addition from gf....:thumbsup:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feed your dog some cotton balls soaked in milk or broth. Those will wrap around the sharp object and help protect the intestine. Some mineral oil or olive oil will help lubricate things, too.

do they digest the cotton ball or poop it out?
DannyNyce
Super Bully

Postby jessanddoc » Tue May 26, 2009 9:54 am

I just did this for the first time last week when Doc ate a wild mushroom.

Here's a tip for a dog (like mine) that won't open its mouth.

I measured out 1/4 of a cup (the e-vet said this was the max amount) and then loaded up a turkey baster. I then put spreadable cheese on the end of it.

Every time Doc opened his mouth to lick the cheese, I squirted some in there. It only takes about 2 tsp to make them vomit.

I don't know exactly how much actually made it down the hatch, but he vomited about 3 minutes later and I saw the mushroom sitting on my living room carpet.

Mission accomplished. :)
jessanddoc
Newborn Bully

Postby MikeInTacoma » Tue May 26, 2009 1:32 pm

Another use for a turkey baster! Excellent tip, thank you.
MikeInTacoma
Regulator

Re:

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:26 pm

uid0 wrote:The best thing I've ever seen to make a dog vomit is apomorphine. An E-vet had to use it on Solstice once. A drop of it in the corner of his eye and about 30 seconds later up it came.

I love apo-morphine. We have a little cocker spaniel who comes to our clinic who eats socks, wash cloths, underwear, mittens, you name it. Whenever it happens, the owner just heads immediately to our clninc where we give some apomorphine via IV and up it comes. For such a tiny little dog, I don't know how she swallows a perfectly intact wash cloth....

The last clinic I worked had featured a mini aussie who had an obsession with raw onions. Twice in one month she had to come in for the eproxide treatment because she would bite her owners as soon as she saw the bottle of HP come out..

But to second what has already been said, I would always call your vet before making your dog vomit. They usually are pleasant about giving out free advice. And for you, it could mean not having to clean up piles of dog vomit!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues