Killing Our pets with every meal.....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby pit_amor » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:36 pm

ShadowWolf wrote:
pit_amor wrote:WOW! GOOD POST! Great info to think about. I thought the food I was feeding my dogs was a good brand, vet recommended n all. Geez!
I guess I'm going to either make their meals myself or switch to a higher quality brand. I guess you can't trust some brands.
My friend thats a veternarian told me to try nutro which is what my dogs are on. He also has my moms dog on science diet. I'm gonna have to give him a call monday morning.

Also check out the book called "Foods Pets Die For" - I forget the author's name off the top of my head - excellent read, though a bit dry in some portions, but it has some excellent information pertaining to many unpublished recalls, etc.

Thanks, sure will check it out. I'm glad you argued me into doing that research yesterday! Gotta hand it u ya. Your were right.
lol lol lol
pit_amor
Newborn Bully

Postby ShadowWolf » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:10 pm

pit_amor wrote:
ShadowWolf wrote:
pit_amor wrote:WOW! GOOD POST! Great info to think about. I thought the food I was feeding my dogs was a good brand, vet recommended n all. Geez!
I guess I'm going to either make their meals myself or switch to a higher quality brand. I guess you can't trust some brands.
My friend thats a veternarian told me to try nutro which is what my dogs are on. He also has my moms dog on science diet. I'm gonna have to give him a call monday morning.

Also check out the book called "Foods Pets Die For" - I forget the author's name off the top of my head - excellent read, though a bit dry in some portions, but it has some excellent information pertaining to many unpublished recalls, etc.

Thanks, sure will check it out. I'm glad you argued me into doing that research yesterday! Gotta hand it u ya. Your were right.
lol lol lol

Ah, the pleasure was all mine. It was a good rousing game of who's will was stronger. lol
ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby pit_amor » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:12 pm

lol
pit_amor
Newborn Bully

Postby Legend » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:15 pm

so.... which is it?

Nature's Variety Safe??
Blue Buffalo?

apbtmayday wrote:I started my pup on Nutro "Natural Choice" Puppy, then put her on Nutro Ultra Wholistic Large Breed, then tried her out on a 5-lb bag of Buffalo Blue Lamb&Rice Puppy.

Now I have her on Blue Buffalo Wilderness and plan on keeping it at that forever. It's a great high protein/low carb food. good alternative to RAW.
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Potato Starch, Turkey Meal, Whitefish Meal, Salmon Meal, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Oatmeal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal
Legend
Adolescent Bully

Postby bullyball » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:49 am

Damn- I thought Nutro was ok-
Any suggestions on a different kibble?
bullyball
Newborn Bully

Postby bullyball » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:10 am

Sorry, I'm new to this- Now I've read the rest of the posts-

Looking at the Nutro webpage, they show the ingredients (Natural Lamb & Rice for large dogs) :

Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Rice Gluten, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Dried Beet Pulp, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Dried Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Chondroitin Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Garlic, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

I don't see any "misc. protein" Am I missing something? Is this ok? Mostly I'm concerned about my dog not being fed phenobarb-
bullyball
Newborn Bully

Postby xaverysxmamax » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:30 am

Wow, great sticky.
xaverysxmamax

Raw

Postby johanns » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 am

i followed one of the links and its says to give meat with bone and organs. i had asked someone once and they said veggies have to be included. so some chicken legs anf gizzards could be a good meal? I need help....Thanks :thumbsup:
johanns
Adolescent Bully

Re: Raw

Postby rambler72 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:09 pm

johanns wrote:i followed one of the links and its says to give meat with bone and organs. i had asked someone once and they said veggies have to be included. so some chicken legs anf gizzards could be a good meal? I need help....Thanks :thumbsup:

here read this: http://www.rawlearning.com/ Very informative.
rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby Catelin » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:14 am

I work at a natural food pet store, that sells numerous human grade safe pet foods. On a daily basis I have to explain the gruesome truth about several mainstream pet products and its effects on their companion animals. Its really sad.

And from my experience the cost of feeding my dogs better food is about the same as feeding them less than desirable food.
Catelin
Newborn Bully

Postby DannyNyce » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:15 pm

wow. great read. i'm gonna be up for a while doing a lot of research
DannyNyce
Super Bully

Postby MissVicky » Fri May 01, 2009 8:11 pm

Someone told me to feed my dog "Hypro".. not Nutro. Right now he's on Pedigree and it's not working for him (bad bad gas)
MissVicky
Newborn Bully

Postby Uahi » Tue May 12, 2009 5:05 pm

bullyball wrote:Sorry, I'm new to this- Now I've read the rest of the posts-

Looking at the Nutro webpage, they show the ingredients (Natural Lamb & Rice for large dogs) :

Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Rice Gluten, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Dried Beet Pulp, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Dried Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Chondroitin Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Garlic, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
I don't see any "misc. protein" Am I missing something? Is this ok? Mostly I'm concerned about my dog not being fed phenobarb-
bad stuff
Uahi
Newborn Bully

Re:

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:48 pm

jhicken wrote:I’m a skeptical reader, so when I read such inflammatory stuff like this, a red flag goes up. I don’t run around with my head in the clouds thinking my government will protect us from everything but in some cases it does a decent job. If your typical off the shelf dog food was laced with such toxic ingredients as the author might have you believe, how can our dogs possibly survive? Like so much biased journalism, just pepper a few potentially feasible facts into your argument and most folks will buy the whole thing.

The article states:

“95 percent of the food fed to these treasured creatures is made up of materials that are unfit for human consumption and contain little nutritional value”

and:

“a toxic brew containing diseased and contaminated meat from slaughterhouses, animal heads, toenails, chicken feathers, feet and beaks. It also includes dead animals picked up from the nation's roads, rancid kitchen grease and frying oil from the nation's kitchens, and millions of pounds of dead animals from the country's animal hospitals and shelters”

and:

“The pet food industry is unregulated by government bodies. An organization called the Association of American Feed Control Officials sets the standards. Its membership includes a few state agency representatives, but it is mostly run by commercial pet food industry workers.”

All this is contrary to the information contained on the FDA’s site regarding pet food.

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petfoods.htm

The FDA has a special branch called the “Center for Veterinary Medicine” which regulates animal drugs, medicated feeds, food additives and feed ingredients, including pet foods.

The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act requires that pet foods, like human foods, be pure and wholesome, safe to eat, produced under sanitary conditions, contain no harmful substances, and be truthfully labeled.

As for “by-products” or “meals”, as humans we willingly eat hot dogs and a myriad of other processed foods that contain chicken heads, hooves, teeth, bones, gizzards and a lot of the other “by-products”.

An interesting note about “by-products”, the protein quality is sometimes better than that from regular meat

Also “fish oil” is a nutritional supplement. Omega fatty acids are also good for you.

The author also states:

“The city of Los Angeles sends 200 tons of euthanized cats and dogs to West Coast Rendering plant every month. This is just from the city's animal shelters and does not include animals from private veterinarians.”

And then states:

“A common drug found in the rendering brew is phenobarbital, commonly used to euthanize sick animals. The American Journal of Veterinary Research did a study in 1985 that showed there was virtually no degradation of this drug during the typical rendering process and that measurable quantities of it remain present in the rendered material used for pet foods and for feeding cattle destined for human consumption.”

This leads the reader to believe that euthanized dogs and cats may be the reason for low levels if penobarbital in pet food. More proof of the nasty stuff we are feeding our dogs.

But, according to the FDA testing done in 1998 and again in 2000, there wasn’t the presence of either dog or cat DNA in the food they tested. The trace was attributed to potentially euthanized cattle or horses. It also goes on to state that the level of penobarbital was below any potential harm to dogs

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/DFreport.htm

Now I’m not stating that the typical stuff you buy in a grocery store is the best stuff you can give your dog, but we are hardly “Killing Our Pets with Every Meal”

On last observation I’d be concerned about, this article is published by a pet food company. This might be considered a conflict of interest.

-jeffrey

:goodpost:
Agreed! While I think it is great that we are questioning what we feed our fur-kids, because it clearly shows that we care about them and their well-being, all of this "no corn!" "no grain!" "No by-products!" stuff is getting a little out of hand in my opinion. I fed my dogs Orijen for years and all it got me was a 9 year old dog with elevated kidney values. They were gassy as all get-out and I didn't find that they did any better on that food than any other I had tried.

Personally, the only person I will trust to give me advice on what to feed my dog is my veterinarian. They did go to school for 7+ years after all to learn what is best for our pets. I feed medi-cal preventive to my young guy and Hills j/d to my senior lady and they both are doing great. There is alot of information out there that can make you feel like a "bad" dog owner for not buying the $80 bag of food.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Re: Re:

Postby pumpkinpunk » Mon May 10, 2010 11:32 am

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:
:goodpost:
Agreed! While I think it is great that we are questioning what we feed our fur-kids, because it clearly shows that we care about them and their well-being, all of this "no corn!" "no grain!" "No by-products!" stuff is getting a little out of hand in my opinion. I fed my dogs Orijen for years and all it got me was a 9 year old dog with elevated kidney values. They were gassy as all get-out and I didn't find that they did any better on that food than any other I had tried.

Personally, the only person I will trust to give me advice on what to feed my dog is my veterinarian. They did go to school for 7+ years after all to learn what is best for our pets. I feed medi-cal preventive to my young guy and Hills j/d to my senior lady and they both are doing great. There is alot of information out there that can make you feel like a "bad" dog owner for not buying the $80 bag of food.

Any vet will tell you they did not learn "much" about nutrition during their 7+ years at veterinarian school. SD also uses rendered meats. Which is what this topic was originally about. Corn and grain are an entire other subject and are usually related to allergies. IMO if there is any market willing to take downed cattle, rendered meats, and old slaughters there is going to be people who buy it because it is cheap and available, which SD is (doesn't make anyone a bad person). But what is up to debate is how healthy it really is, even if your vet recommended it I would still question the food. What it is, is just better for your dog in specific. But I am sure if you looked far enough you could find a food that worked just as well with out all the rendering.

As for protein from by-products being better protein than from regular meats this made me a little sick. I would like to see proof of a dog eating only by-product protein (beaks, feather, nails, bones, eyeballs) compared to a dog who has the option to eat muscle protein and certain organ by-product proteins. I do not think a dog who is only eating whatever is in animal by-product meal would thrive as well as a dog eating whole turkey or whole chicken.

Rendered meat is rendered meat, no matter where it comes from. I'd rather feed my dog a food that is fresh and whole and know that is is, than a food thats protein was dead for any long amount of time before it was processed.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n4nZKP-h-Bk&rel=0&border=1&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n4nZKP-h-Bk&rel=0&border=1&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
This video is obviously old. I am aware.
pumpkinpunk
Matured Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues