Arthrits/limping

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Otis
Addicted to PBF

Arthrits/limping

Postby Otis » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:12 pm

I came home from work today to find Ashes on three legs. She has arthritis in her left rear leg from an old injury that wasn't treated by her PO, a fix for it would be a couple thousand dollar surgery which the vet said wasn't necessary at this point (whew for now). She was on a pain killer for awhile which seemed to really help and her limping stopped. I was going to go in and get a refill in the next few days, but its really bad tonight and I'm not positive I'll make it to the vet tomorrow, though I definitely will on Friday. I looked up giving aspirin to dogs online and after reading about 6 different pages I felt confident it was ok. I gave her 1 and a half baby aspirin, she weights about 45 to 50 pounds. Then I kept reading a few more pages and read that it can be dangerous and toxic so now I am freaking out. I need some reassurance that this most likely is alright dosage, which I'm pretty sure it is I am just being a paranoid parent. The websites pretty much recommended a 45 pound dog be given three baby aspirin, but every website is different. She was in so much pain I just had to give her something :frown:

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:28 pm

anybody? I just need a little re-assurance that the aspirin dose is probably ok, I'm not getting many straight forward answers on the internet

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:39 pm

cappuccino for her back leg gets 1 baby asprin a day..

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:56 pm

Alright cool...I hate being paranoid, she just got lethargic, probably because the pain, and I got nervous.

That's what being a parent is all about though

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:15 pm

you can also give them buffered aspirin...I use Bufferin, it does not cause stomach upset

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:35 am

If you can afford it, Rimadyl or Metacam is 3-10 times safer depending on what you read...

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:59 am

be careful with Rimadyl..Trixie was on it for 2 weeks and had bloody stools..it has a history of adverse reactions from what I have read

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:36 am

SFBullyGirl wrote:be careful with Rimadyl..Trixie was on it for 2 weeks and had bloody stools..it has a history of adverse reactions from what I have read

Its on par with all the other NSAIDs percentage-wise. Rimadyl gets prescriped MUCH more than the others due to cost and being the first and most popular, so there are more horror stories ONLY because its used so much more often.

The last bad ulcer I saw was caused by an appropriate dose of one of the so-called "safer than Rimadyl" non-steroidals... they're all pretty similar, but regular aspirin has been proven to have more effects on platelets and a much higher incidence of ulcers than the NSAIDs designed for use in pets.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:59 am

Do you have her on glucosomine too? It helped my boxer with arthiritis a fair amount. They have some at 1-800-PetMeds that's pretty reasonably priced.
Jen

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:24 am

She's only been to the vet once before for the leg problem, and it really did seem to get better with the pain meds she was on, I forget the name. I'm not gonna worry about giving her anything myself except for a baby aspirin until I can get her to the vet tomorrow.

I'm really frustrated. If her previous owners had just delt with the problem Ashes wouldn't have to be in this pain. Last night I carried her up the stairs and lifted her onto the bed with tears in my eyes. I'll never understand people sometimes. Obviously it could be much worse, but I know Ashes limped for the past year in her last home and they did nothing. They told me, "it doesn't seem to bother her or slow her down." I don't know how long she had the injury before that. Its time for a more in depth vet visit to address this problem. If surgery seems to be the best option...goddamn I'm gonna have to save my pennies, but i don't want to see my girl in pain anymore. The arthritis is present because of the old injury, she's only 5 years old.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:40 am

What was the injury and which bone/joint was effected?

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:03 pm

Gosh, I feel like a jackass but I can't remember the name of the injury. I will be able to find out tomorrow when I take her to the vet. All I can remember is that it was an old injury where something with the knee cap pulling or....wow, I'm going to have to ask the vet. I am pretty ADD and I often think I am listening to people when I am completely zoinked out. I'll get back to you on that.

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:06 pm

luxtating patellas?

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:43 pm

After a few days of cosiquin and rymadel there has been know improvement in the limping. Will it take a few days to make her feel better? I'm starting to think she might have injured it further...another trip to the vet may be in order for x-rays...ughuguh gotta love free dogs :))

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:11 pm

If it was with the knee, odds are it was a luxating patella (dislocated kneecap) or a cranial cruciate ligament rupture (also known as CCL, ACL). Those are the most common.

The Rimadyl should work right away, but the cosequin can take a couple of weeks to show its full effect.

My biggest worry if basic pain meds aren't working would be that there may be something more going on, like a new injury or even (God forbid) bone cancer.

Sometimes with the cruciate ruptures you can get a partial tear that later becomes a complete tear.

Return to “Health Issues”