Hershey squirts won't go away...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Hershey squirts won't go away...

Postby EF8 ownz U » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:05 pm

Some of you may have read my last post about how I thought my dog and parvo, blah blah blah.....Anyways, everything has returned to normal again except that she has friggin hershey squirts like crazy, I mean she craps like at least 5-6 times a day or more. I wouldn't say diarrhea, cause its not completely watery, but it looks like a cow pie or something. Definately not normal. Before she got sick, her poop was normal, ever since she got better she hasn't been pooping normal and I'm kinda getting sick of it since I live in an apt on the second story and she basically craps and pisses out on the patio and I have to clean it up frequently and its a pain in the ass and quite nasty.....

Her diet has not changed, shes been on the same food since I got her which is Pedigree small chunks & bites(n00b here, don't rip on me too much for the food she eats, I'm researching other foods!). I'm wondering if I should change her food or what? I really don't know what to do for something like this. I figured maybe it was something that would just pass, but its been going on for over a week now.....Help!! please!

Chris
EF8 ownz U

Postby TB » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:24 pm

If your dog really did have parvo, it can take awhile for the digestive tract to return to normal. Parvovirus does a lot of damage to the intestines. I treated a pup with parvo earlier this year, and it took over a month before he could eat normally again. If I fed too much at once, he would squirt all over. I had to feed tiny meals many times a day and I supplemented with digestive enzymes, egg yolk and yogurt, as well. So if your kid did have parvo, perhaps you are returning to a normal feeding routine too quickly.

Alternatively, perhaps your puppy has a bacterial infection and needs antibiotics. Diarrhea is a really non specific symptom that can be caused by a lot of things. Since your dog was so sick and you suspected parvo, it wouldn't hurt to try feeding her very small meals instead of larger, less frequent ones and maybe supplement with some yogurt or something to help recolonize the gut with good bacteria.
TB
Adolescent Bully

Postby moto1320 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:57 pm

:goodpost:

Pup could use some better food anyway...Innova has these enzymes added. You could also juice her system with lactobillicus or the like from any health food store (concentrated caps of these digestive enzymes). Whenever I finish antibiotics I take these to get my system back up to par.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby turtle » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:42 pm

Yes, it sounds like her digestive system is still upset from her illness.

Besides looking for a better quality food than Pedigree, you might give her several small meals during the day.

Cook up some rice and boiled chicken meat, give her some of that. Plus add a few spoons of canned pumpkin to her food. Canned pumpkin is a great remedy for diarrhea, don't get the spiced pumpkin, get the plain canned pumpkin. Small light meals will help her system recover.

And there are other dog kibbles which are far better for her. The high quality ones are easier to digest and the dog gets more nutrition from them, hence you feed less and you also get less to clean up. It's a false economy to feed poor quality food, the good ones pay for themselves over the life of your dog. Try Canidae, Innova, CA Natural, Wellness, or Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul. All those have much better ingredients and more meat sources, where as Pedigree is mostly corn and fillers...

Good luck with your pup and glad she is getting better... The rice and chicken is a good bland diet for sick dogs and don't forget the pumpkin.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby EF8 ownz U » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:05 pm

Awesome, thanks a lot for the replies!!! All of you on this board are very helpful to a n00b like myself :thumbsup:
EF8 ownz U

Postby concreterose » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:11 am

Get her checked for parasites too if you haven't already. Ghiardia can cause cow pies.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby a1w » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:32 pm

My vet recomended Pedialyte and cottage cheese when my girl had the squirts.
a1w

Re: Hershey squirts won't go away...

Postby Schnubbel » Sat May 08, 2004 11:48 am

Hi there,
if your dog was sick and maybe was treated with antibiotics her intestinal flora might have been ruined.
To help building it feed her some yoghurt or even better green omasum or green paunch. Feed it raw. Okay, it may stink as hell but you'll see the results - promise.
Schnubbel

Postby PitbullGirl » Sat May 08, 2004 12:49 pm

I would suggest you have her checked by the vet. There is no way to properly diagnose and treat an animal over the internet. She does need to see a vet especially if it continues for more that a couple of days.
PitbullGirl

Return to Health Issues