Is my vet over charging me?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jason
Newborn Bully

Is my vet over charging me?

Postby Jason » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:25 pm

Alright, I kind of feel I am being taken advantage of but I want your guys' input.
First Visit:
Fecal Exam 21.00
Professonal Fee 38.50
Puppy DHPP VACINE II 14.00
Bordetella B. Vaccination I 18.50
First Deworming 11.90

Total after taxes 103.90

Second visit(two weeks later)
Fecal exam 21.00
puppy followup exam 28.00
puppy DHPP Vaccine III 14.00
Bordetella B. Vaccination II 18.50
Leptospirosis Vaccine 1 19.00
Final Deworming 11.90

Total after taxes 120.90

After I was finished they tired to line me up with another exam. I said I would call when I am ready. Thanks for any input.

TangoJr
Matured Bully

Postby TangoJr » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:30 pm

I haven't had a puppy in about 6 year(been rescuing) but that sounds about right to me. Don't take my word for it though.

Lizzie
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lizzie » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:32 pm

Yup. That first year is expensive! (Yet another reason not to breed) The only thing I see is that the bordetella vax is optional if you don't plan to board your dog.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:35 pm

Seems about right to me too. My vet charges around $100 for initial puppy visits, and $110-120 for final puppy and adult visits (which includes a rabies vaccination and license). If that vet is offering you quality service, and a quality facility and technology, then I don't think those prices are unreasonable.

Jason
Newborn Bully

Postby Jason » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:36 pm

she will be going to the hospital overnight next week so that is why she said she was giving her the shot.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:37 pm

those prices look very reasonable to me. one of my vets charges $50 for the "professional fee" and $45 for the followup visits. yikes.

Jason
Newborn Bully

Postby Jason » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:39 pm

sorry for the dp but I also wanted to ad, she had no clue what a spring pole or flurt pole was. And when I asked her about showing the dog she also seem lost and she said, she wasnt the person to talk to.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:53 pm

Jason wrote:sorry for the dp but I also wanted to ad, she had no clue what a spring pole or flurt pole was. And when I asked her about showing the dog she also seem lost and she said, she wasnt the person to talk to.

Based on this and the fact that you want to breed, I'd start looking for an other vet. You and your vet should be a TEAM, with your vet providing sound advice regarding the structural/physical health of your dog. I'd look for a vet that specializes in performance/working dog breeds. Many vets show and breed their dogs and are very knowledgeable beyond vet care. They may not have PBs, so don't hold that against them.

It may take a little work to find the best vet to partner with, so be willing to research and spend quite some time looking. I'd attend some agility trials and start going to local conformation shows and talking with breeders there. They'll help you out.

MJay
Newborn Bully

Postby MJay » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:54 pm

My first visit was $84 and my second was $72. My third should be a little more because it includes a rabies shot. Then at 6 months she gets spayed. The first year is expensive but its worth it.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:55 pm

Jason wrote:sorry for the dp but I also wanted to ad, she had no clue what a spring pole or flurt pole was. And when I asked her about showing the dog she also seem lost and she said, she wasnt the person to talk to.

That neither surprises or worries me. See it as your chance to educate, but doctors who aren't involved in those things probably wouldn't be the best source. Find out what you can so you can best explain the physical demands to be sure your dogs are healthy enough to participate, but again, I wouldn't worry if the vet wasn't familiar with them to start.

Ninjakel
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ninjakel » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:57 pm

Sounds about right to me as well.

HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HersheyBear » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:58 pm

Looks like a typical visit to me. I work at a vet's and that's around what we charge.
Bordatella (or Kennel Cough) is an optional vaccine that's only needed if the dog is going to be boarded or groomed in a facility, or will be aroundunvaccinated dogs.

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Postby RescueAPBT » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Those prices sounds right. Also, I'd be more shocked if a vet actually knew what a spring or flirt pole was! lol As far as asking about showing, most vets aren't APBT conformation experts. I would suggest finding a local APBT club, or a responsible breeder that shows, and see if they can give you more information.

Jason
Newborn Bully

Postby Jason » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:02 pm

thanks guys

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jazminesgranny » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:17 pm

Sounds about what I paid... when the big girls were pups...

My vet here charges $65 for the 7-way shots, rabies and worming.. he's a small town country doc.. or so he says.. but I love him..

As far as having a relation with the vet if you intend to breed.. my old vet in west va is exactly why I chose not to breed my english bull dog... 3 breeders were offering me A LOT of money to allow her to breed for the pick of the litter.. one offered 10K the vet agreed she was perfect but then told me about the issues with EBD breeding and I prefer to have my dog alive.. If I didnt have that relationship I may have bred her.. he was upfront and honest with me and advised me well...

Debby

Return to “Health Issues”