Is my vet over charging me?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Brina Baby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Brina Baby » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:38 pm

Sounds about right and yes that first is expensive. lol

We've been very picky about our vets. I always ask for the vets that have experience with bully breeds and/or APBTs. We've been lucky so far in that our vet not only has experience with APBTs and pit bull mixes, but she also owns a rescued pit mix.

She's very knowledgeable about the breed and their temperaments. If you are concerned about your vet's lack of acknowledge call around and try to find one that does have knowledge of our breed.

Fenriswolf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Fenriswolf » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:39 pm

Not that it's indicative of much (being in NZ) but our consult fee is $38, vax's ~$17 depending on each one and an individual advantage for a say 40lb dog's about $10.50 so sounds similar. Our follow up consult is $25.

mrpps wrote:My vet charges for what they actually do without any "professional fee" unattached to any actual service or product they perform or sell. Their fees for rabies, and other virus shots are similar to others listed here.

I don't understand what you're getting at. You pay to see a doctor - vets and doctors are medical professionals who have large student loans and work extremely hard. Why would you not pay for their time and expertise?

Having said that, an exam fee should cover an exam. Our boss charges the same for his consults as every other vet's but his exams are awful. His wife for example does a very thorough check, checks everything and discusses everything at length with the client... he sometimes doesn't even take the temperature :oops:

Ravenloft
Newborn Bully

Postby Ravenloft » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:58 pm

As an owner and manager of an animal hospital, those look like very reasonable fees, just about in line with what ours are. Veterinary care is expensive and particularly that first year in pups.

The next appt they are referring to is her next booster, so definitely make that appt - parvo is horrible to deal with and really expensive to treat.

This is not directed at you, but always amazes me that people have problems with the (quite reasonable IMO) fees they are charged for something that would costs hundreds if not thousands in human medicine. Vet costs are not much at all when compared to the extremely high overhead involved with running a vet hospital, not to mention the cost of a veterinary degree to begin with (yep, we are still and will continue to pay and pay and pay on those every month, 7 years out of vet school). In human medicine insurance usually insulates people from such costs so I can imagine it can be a shock to see the real costs of medicine. Luckily for pet owners, reality dictates that cost be scaled down as much as possible since people are paying out of pocket.

As far as your vet having knowledge of flirt poles, showing etc, many vets don't and I certainly wouldn't expect a vet to know of such things but some asking around should turn out a vet that is more familiar with the APBT.
We get people coming to us from really far away because we are very familiar with pits and have a lot of knowledge gained from our experience owning, raising, training and competing with them - nothing I love more than leaning against the receptionists' desk and talking pits with a client
:-)

If you will tell me where you are, I can see if I can round up a vet in your area that is experienced with pits, you can PM me if you like :-) No promises but I will try.

Good luck with your girl!

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:13 pm

That is probably average for the area, if most here are saying its reasonable. Personally, that's one reason I give most of the dogs' shots myself, or use a vaccination clinic. I don't see the point in paying out the rear for a shot that costs $5.99 from an online supplier, or about $15 at a vax clinic. Of course, if you weren't comfortable giving shots yourself, or if you didn't have access to vax clinics, that would be a factor, too.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:28 pm

Or if you plan on boarding her. Most places require vaccines be administered by a Vet, as there can be all kinds of issues with vaccines not handled/administered properly.

I LOVE our Banfield (the vet is awesome and he owns this clinic and one other in our area) He does 3 year vacs on my dogs, and my plan includes dental, so Martin got his canine (and one other tooth) extracted for $100, that included a round of pain meds, Tramadol and Rimadyl. Plus this particular vet is the only one Martin likes lol

Puppies are expensive, just think, your bitch could throw 12 or 16 of them in one litter.

XDogs
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby XDogs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:33 pm

I have a concern unrelated to the cost... getting a Distemper-combo booster two weeks after the first visit is not following the vaccine protocol all that well. Boosters should be given within 3 - 4 weeks from each other. If not, you are not getting as well an immune response from the body, as it will not be able to differentiate between the two exposures. The body, if boostered too early, will consider the two vaccines as one exposure and not build as well a memory.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:25 am

Kingsgurl wrote:Or if you plan on boarding her. Most places require vaccines be administered by a Vet, as there can be all kinds of issues with vaccines not handled/administered properly.

That's a point. I've learned to be careful with my record-keeping. I try to take note of batch numbers and whatnot. Haven't had a problem yet with anyone not accepting what I have, but I also don't board or anything like that.

Ravenloft
Newborn Bully

Postby Ravenloft » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:53 pm

Giving your own vaccines is perfectly fine, I've been doing it since I was 16. As long as your dog is still getting the other care it needs (exams, deworming, heartworm preventative, dentals, etc) then properly given and recorded owner-given vaccines are great! If you are just giving your own vaccines and neglecting the other neccesary care, then that's not so great.

However... the majority of people who do their own vaccinations DO NOT keep proper records of such. They probably did vaccinate their dog but somehow neglected to record anything. Then there are the people who swear to us they gave their dog vaccines, have no proof of vaccines, not even a reciept from the place they say they bought them from, and surprise! Their "fully vaccinated" puppy comes down with parvo! There are many reasons this could have happened - vaccines not given properly time-wise, vaccines not stored properly or the dog could have been one of the breakthrough cases that are infected even with proper vaccination but it's just not a chance I'd want to take. Vaccines must be given at the right intervals for proper efficacy and a lot of owners don't follow the schedule properly, giving them too close together or finishing too early.

At our hospital we only accept owner-given vaccines IF you have records with the date, manufacturer and preferably lot number of the vaccines given. The vaccine companies make it really easy for you, those labels peel right off and can be placed right on your records :-)

As long as we are on the subject, another issue with vaccines bought from feed stores, pet stores, online stores etc is that not everyone keeps the vaccines stored properly. Vaccines must be kept cold and cannot be left out for any length of time.
I personally witnessed a feed store employee fish an empty vaccine tray out of the fridge, reach into an open cardboard box on the wall shelf behind her and get another vaccine tray to put in the fridge. So if they were storing extra vaccines on a room temp shelf that kinda defeats the purpose of keeping that tray of vaccines cold now, doesn't it?? LOL I would bet anything she was not the first employee in the history of pet stores to do such a thing....

Anyway, moral of this novel - if you are doing your own vaccines, select your vaccine supplier carefully to ensure they are being stored properly, make sure YOU store the vaccines properly, educate yourself on the best schedule to follow and keep thorough records, making sure your vet has a copy of said records to avoid any confusion.

Lecture over, you are all free to go now :thumbsup:

Loribl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Loribl » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:46 pm

I do my own vaccines and YES, I keep records. All the regular boosters for all of our animals are due 12/31/08. I have known my vet for fifteen years and he knows I am responsible and will do the job right. I still take Gypsy in for the rabies vaccine (in Oregon, a vet MUST administer these) and I take her in for her wellness check ups as well.

mrpps
Adolescent Bully

Postby mrpps » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:35 pm

I don't understand what you're getting at. You pay to see a doctor - vets and doctors are medical professionals who have large student loans and work extremely hard. Why would you not pay for their time and expertise?

I'm not "getting at" anything. I was just reporting how my vet charges. I'm sure the professional fee is built in. It's just not specified as such.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Ravenloft wrote:As long as we are on the subject, another issue with vaccines bought from feed stores, pet stores, online stores etc is that not everyone keeps the vaccines stored properly. Vaccines must be kept cold and cannot be left out for any length of time.

In fairness, though, do we really know that the vet's office staff is handling the vaccines appropriately, too? I realize they'd have more training than the average joe, but its not foolproof. When I was ordering vaccines from Omaha Vaccine Co, they used to say "oh, its okay if your vaccines arrive slightly warm, because that's the way they come to us." I don't know where vets get their vaccines, but if its from similar online sources, there's always a possibility that somewhere along the line, someone's not handling/storing them properly.

Ravenloft
Newborn Bully

Postby Ravenloft » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:56 pm

Of course, that is a possibility too but I think your chances are much better with a well-known supplier rather than the pet store or feed store down the road. We have never once had vaccines arrive warm and have not been warned of it by our vendors either so no worries for us yet. We buy ours from Victor and vendors like that which are HUGE distributors and you can pretty safely bet they are caring for those vaccines carefully. But that's kinda what I mean by know the source of your vaccines.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:40 pm

You think puppies are expensive...about the old kids! 4 vet visits in two months totally over 200 dollars every time!

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:45 pm

mrpps wrote:

I'm not "getting at" anything. I was just reporting how my vet charges. I'm sure the professional fee is built in. It's just not specified as such.

My vet also does not charge a separate "professional fee." Or an office visit. My yearly shots were $27 per dog.

Fenriswolf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Fenriswolf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:50 pm

mrpps wrote:

You said that your vet doesn't charge a professional fee or other such "unnecessary charges". I'm not saying you're an arsehole, but have no clue how you expect vets to operate without a fee for their time.

Return to “Health Issues”