satin balls?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

give soldier satin balls for treats?

yes
25%
no
75%

Total votes: 20

soldier
Newborn Bully

satin balls?

Postby soldier » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:46 pm

has anyone ever heard of satin balls for dogs? a buddy of mine gave me this recipe and said he gave it to his pits and they are beautiful, full of life, and very mindful...he said he gave it to them as a treat, but to be careful cause it puts on alot of weight fast if they are not active. i made a batch of 1lbs and soldier loves them and cant get enough of them but i wanted to ask everyone what they know and have heard about them before i started giving them to him on a regular bases for treats here and there.

here is the recipe

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw!

thanks for the input everyone.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:49 pm

I've never fed them but they are usually used for underweight or pregnant dogs because it puts on weight fast.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:19 pm

I'd not give them as a treat. Too fatty. As mentioned, they are used primarily in emaciated dogs to put weight back on.

Stick with dried chicken and liver for treats. You can purchase beef liver, cut it in strips and put flour on a cookie sheet then lay the strips on there and bake at like, 200 or so for most the day.
I've not done chicken breasts that way but I bet you could do the same with them.

mr. beefy
Adolescent Bully

Postby mr. beefy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:31 pm

Also keep in mind general raw feeding practices dictate feeding 1-2% of body weight per day so, basically, a 1lb bag is a whole day's worth of food for a 50lb dog. If you want to feed up to that per day, cut back on regular food accordingly.

It's all the fat that makes the coat shine and makes them perfect for bringing undernourished/nutritionally taxed dogs up to condition quickly. KadillacGrrl (sp?) swears by them to help out really bad cases.

spammie

Postby spammie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:19 pm

Yup, what they said. :goodpost:

soldier
Newborn Bully

Postby soldier » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:42 pm

i divided the 1lbs bag into about 19 small balls like cookie dough balls and i was givin him a couple balls as treats nothing to take the place of his normal meals just as treats.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:39 pm

I think based on the pics I've seen of Soldier that he's already heavy enough, and doesn't need a "treat" designed to load extra weight on skinny dogs. :)

MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Postby MsPsychotic » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:16 pm

I made some satin balls for Bear a few days after we got him home. We could easily see his hips, ribs and spine. He was only weighing in at 52lbs at 1yr old. The shelter vet said he could use some help with putting on some healthy weight. To work him easily the first month or two. Give him something to fatten him a bit, but slowly.. don't go dumping heaps of food into his bowl several times a day.

We were giving him 1 1/2 cups of kibble in the AM with 2 balls and the same in the PM. He didn't pack on the weight fast, but it came on gradually. He's now at 78lbs and looks MUCH better. We haven't been giving him any satin balls for a while. He doesn't need them anymore. He still gets 3 cups of kibble, total, every day.

I'd say if you can easily see.. not push and feel.. but SEE his hips, spine, more than two or three ribs.. then yeah, he could probably use a vet check-up and voice your concerns and see if the vet feels he needs some help with putting on weight.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:09 am

Soldier doesn't need help putting on weight. I voted no

TeddiXRuxpin
Adolescent Bully

Postby TeddiXRuxpin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:12 am

I have heard about satin balls from a lot of people that do rescue, but not as a normal treat. Only for the fact that they do put on weight crazy easy.

Next time we come into a super skinny dog I think I might wip out the recipe and try it. See if it really works and helps put on weight.

soldier
Newborn Bully

Postby soldier » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:21 pm

thanks for all the comments on it...he is pretty big and looks good in his size right now. i have decide not to give them to him that looks like the majority vote thanks again everyone

Return to “Health Issues”