I was gonna switch to BARF till i read this

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby moto1320 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:01 am

Good article, but for all of it's redundent length, it could have had a little more in the way of documentation...after all, a 20 yr study. I would have had more science in there. Either way you go, it's about what works for you and your dog.

I used to be a Sushi chef, I've eaten more raw meat and fish than you could ever imagine and I'm still just fine. Raw fish was a huge part of my diet for quite some time and I still prefer it raw or barely cooked. hee hee. So do my dogs, though they eat mostly kibble. 1000 pound cold water Tuna shipped from Japan aren't farm raised either. Never had a customer fall over from brain parasites. :))
moto1320
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:43 pm

Well,
I guess I better have Sasha's grave dug. Hmmm, she's almost 8, if she's dying a slow painful death she sure is hiding it well. She's never tested positive for any parasite, her blood work is exemplary and at her last check my vet, who started me feeding raw food back in '95 or'96, was happy to hear I'm still at it.

I will say again, that article is ridiculous and if you believe that our domestic dogs have any more trouble as a whole with E coli, Salmonella, Listeria or any of the other "nasties" than their wild bertheren you might want to do more reading. They have as strong a digestive system as ANY wild dog or cat. I know at LEAST 100 people that feed raw and are MUCH happier with it, and so are their dogs and cats by the way.

Eukanuba as a high end kibble, hmmm, might want to do some research as to what goes into that. If you are going to read us the riot act for being so stupid as to feed raw you BETTER know dry food. You don't!

Thank God it's the good 'ole US of A and we can express our opinions.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby VinR1 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:52 pm

eh... Ill have to see some 'proof' before believing any ot the anti-BARF posts above

I do know that with commercial dog food (regardless of brand) Athos remained at a steady 47-50lbs, very chubby despite exercise, LOTS of shedding, often had a runny nose and lots of 'eye boogers', seemed 'depressed' all the time, plus other stuff I cant remember

...however, as soon as I switched to a strictly BARF diet, his shedding has virtually disappeared, no runny nose, no 'eye boogers', no runny stools, very energetic, more willing to do things with me, and his weight has gone up to between 55-60lbs and hes LEAN - very stocky but not an ounce of fat... and Im saving money every month

one thing I noticed from the original post is a lot of deaths from chicken and other fowl bones... if I remember right, the website I got the majority of info from strictly forbid feeding chicken and turkey bones... raw or cooked - in fact, I rarely feed Athos chicken and mostly stick to beef and venison
VinR1

Postby mnp13 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:18 am

barbponys wrote:Eukanuba as a high end kibble, hmmm, might want to do some research as to what goes into that. If you are going to read us the riot act for being so stupid as to feed raw you BETTER know dry food. You don't!

I posted a huge post about all about what 'chicken meal' and 'chicken by-products' really are - that shut him up pretty quick. I admit I feed kibble right now, but I admit what's in there.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby barbponys » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:05 pm

Good for you Michele! A little more info is always a good thing. Maybe they will actually listen for a change. Sigh.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Previous

Return to Health Issues