Just sad...Dachshund Casey

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
msvette2u

Just sad...Dachshund Casey

Postby msvette2u » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:46 pm

I took Casey (older Doxie who lost all his teeth due to decay and infection) in last Thursday, he spent the night at the vet clinic and got his sinus area x-rayed, because of the ongoing issues with his nose - the dental helped of course but he's still got issues including sneezing and drainage from his sinuses.

The result? His sinuses are "not normal", and he probably a chronic sinusitis, of course we know the reason. His teeth were so infected when he came to us, we had to have two different vet visits to pull all his teeth, he had naso-oral fistulas ( http://www.vet.ed.ac.uk/clive/cal/Denti ... nasal.html ) which had to be surgically closed and he was on antibiotics for 2 weeks.

Even now, though, he still always sounds as if he has a cold, snuffly and sneezy, and he gets congested in his chest.
Of course the problem is, will he ever find a home willing to tolerate a chronically ill dog?
Are we doomed to have 8 dogs now?

I don't know where there's an MRI Machine for dogs, even if we could afford such a device.

Just kind of venting. I want him to have a good home but I don't know one willing to take on a chronically ill dog.
And it's so sad to me, because regular dentals would have prevented ALL this.

MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:40 pm

poor baby, so sweet of you to care for him. im sure hes feeling so much better, even if he still has sniffles. im sure someone w a heart as big as yours will love him unconditionally

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:46 pm

aawww... poor guy...

if you are near a university, we used to rent the MRI room of our hospital, which was across the street, (in the middle of the night, like 3 am) for science lab work... I have no idea what that would cost though since it was part of our course program.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:40 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that vette.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:51 pm

Thanks...he's on Zeniquin now and if it clears him up at all he'll stay on it a month...I'm hoping that clears him up.
I may call around and ask what a CT or MRI costs for him. It's not out of the realm of possibility but he's already cost the rescue almost 1k between the dentals and antibiotics.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:49 am

What would be his forever condition? The sounds and snot?

I'm always amazed at how many people don't mind funky medical issues, we had a mega-e dog that was going partially blind and HE got adopted.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:25 pm

I think like a sinusitis that maybe flares up and need antibiotics.
Yeah he gets a snotty nose and sneezes...that's not so bad but it moved to his lungs or bronchi, whichever, then needed antibiotics.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:28 pm

Don't lose hope yet - I've seen/heard of so many people who adopt older animals with health problems ... I've done it a few times myself. ;)

It blows my mind what people will ignore with their animals' health. Poor Casey of course will pay for that for the rest of his life. Thankfully he found you and got the care he so desperately needed.

patty

Postby patty » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:43 pm

Oh no! sweet little Casey :frown:

I know he is in great hands and you will do everything you can. Sending positive thoughts for Casey.

I'm thinking in my heart of hearts he will be staying with you.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:45 pm

Well the dog is also neurotic as hell and craps in the house. I mean, he doesn't even "ask" out. This dog is like 7 and poops by the door!!!
lol
It's good that I'm "relaxed" about that but it does get on my nerves. If he'd even BARK and ask out...!?
Copper used to "ask out"...
:frown:

patty

Postby patty » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:06 pm

Thank Goodness for tile and concrete floors!!!!

Hey, what are Mom's for? On the bright side, guess it's not all over the house. Casey is polite enough to at least go to the door. :)

We're lucky to have had the best! :hug:

Return to “Health Issues”