Dog In Labor Rght now 5 hours has passed

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:24 am

msvette2u wrote:
Kingsgurl wrote:
jdmeg6 wrote:im not looking for ur pitty or your f*u*cK*en sympathy! what you dont understand is im not rich i live paycheck to paycheck, i am still a student. and understand it was a accident, accidents happens .

Trust me, I understand not having money. I'm a single mom with children and dogs to support. Please check around for low cost spay/neuter in your area. $400 IS a lot for a spay, and I am sure you can find cheaper. As you can see from this incident, the cost to leave her unaltered could be much higher. An emergency c-section is not cheap.

Two unaltered dogs aren't an accident, they are nature and totally predictable. This WILL happen again if you don't take steps to prevent it.
I hope mama and pups are doing well.

Well I spit out my bon bon and put down my champagne to type this:
We live "paycheck to paycheck" BECAUSE of our dogs - our dogs don't suffer and become knocked up because of not being able to afford it.
The very FIRST thing we've done when adopting intact pets is alter them.
If you cannot even do that 1 basic thing, you shouldn't own a dog.

I have something to add to this. I have an INTACT Male GSD and another member here has his Littermate Sister who is also INTACT. The dogs play together ALL the time and are together SUPERVISED quite a bit. Umah(Female GSD) came into HEAT and GUESS what My male Judge...also her brother...NEVER got a chance to get near her to impregenate(probably butchered that word) BECAUSE we are responsible enough to know WHEN a dog is in heat and when the intact males should be seperated from her.

I live Paycheck to paycheck and actually my boss is out of town and I haven't recieved a check in 2 weeks BUT I have the resources should I need them for the dogs. Ridiculous......money may be tight but that's WHY you don't breed.

USNbully
Newborn Bully

Postby USNbully » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:11 pm

Wow, I read alot of these posts and they are pretty mean. jdmeg6
Sorry for you went through for help here. It was an accident and you learned from it. I think alot of people on here dont understand your situation but i do. It was a first time for you. You were concerned and i know taking a dog to a vet can be expensive when you dont have the money at the time. The situation and you showing concern for your female was all i needed to see to know your a good dog owner.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:33 pm

Is there an update?

jdmeg6
Newborn Bully

Postby jdmeg6 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:37 pm

my dog is doing great and so is the pups.

is it safe to give nursing mother fish oil 1000 mg capsule that i got from walmart ?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:54 pm

I don't think I would do the fish oil now, it might make the puppies get diarrhea?
got any pics of them??
glad they are all doing well.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:06 pm

Tully was on fish oil all through her pregnancy/nursing (she's on it all the time, actually) It's good for the puppies' brain development.

panda
Matured Bully

Postby panda » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:09 pm

Good to hear mom and pups are doing well. Mom needs lots of good food right now, but I agree I don't know about adding the fish oil just right now. Someone who knows more than me might have a different opinion. I do know if you can give momma some chicken and/or chicken broth with her food, or maybe some quality canned food that will help keep her healthy and she can better provide for the pups. You can do a "search" on this forum for additional information on providing her the best nutrition while she nursed the babies.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:14 pm

Sarah wrote:Tully was on fish oil all through her pregnancy/nursing (she's on it all the time, actually) It's good for the puppies' brain development.

oh good to know for future refs.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Cottage cheese is good for her as a supplement for quality food. I'd avoid the chicken broth (salty I think), but chicken would be good. I'm glad they're doing well.

jdmeg6
Newborn Bully

Postby jdmeg6 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:20 pm

i picked up 3 whole chicken and 2lbs of chicken gizzards + fish oil

HappyChick
Newborn Bully

Postby HappyChick » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 pm

I'm really happy to read that mama and pups are doing well. Please post pics when you can.

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:36 am

USNbully wrote:Wow, I read alot of these posts and they are pretty mean. jdmeg6
Sorry for you went through for help here. It was an accident and you learned from it. I think alot of people on here dont understand your situation but i do. It was a first time for you. You were concerned and i know taking a dog to a vet can be expensive when you dont have the money at the time. The situation and you showing concern for your female was all i needed to see to know your a good dog owner.

People were more upset about the many mistakes:
1. not spaying the animals
2. getting two animals if she can't properly care for one
3. not keeping them separated while unaltered and unsupervised

Lack of money does not have anything to do with preventing a pregnancy.

I didn't have money for Molly's spay as soon as I wanted, but if she would have went in heat I would have made sure to keep her away from meddling males.

I'm glad her and the puppies are doing well, and I really hope you get at least the female spayed.

Does fish oil have DHT for brain development or is it the omega stuff?

Carla
Forum Junky

Postby Carla » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:48 am

jdmeg6 wrote:i picked up 3 whole chicken and 2lbs of chicken gizzards + fish oil

I shy away from any kind of supplement for my nursing bitches and use just all kinds of "food" from which they can get what they need -- like you have done, chicken, organ meats (heart, liver, kidney), cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs, raw burger and the canned mackeral, etc (they love the mackeral). I'm of the opinion that concentrated sources (single supplements) are just a bit much and would rather they get the advantage of what the whole food can offer...

The basis of the diet is a good kibble to which this stuff is added....

Carla

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:25 am

I hope the mom and pups are OK

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:11 pm

Jorsher wrote:
USNbully wrote:Wow, I read alot of these posts and they are pretty mean.

People were more upset about the many mistakes:
1. not spaying the animals
2. getting two animals if she can't properly care for one
3. not keeping them separated while unaltered and unsupervised

Don't forget 4. Being a downright prick to others in that last thread because the advice wasn't what he wanted to hear.

OP, I know I'm just an owner of ugly dogs, but I should tell you that if your male has a retained testicle, it has a high chance of becoming cancerous and possibly killing him. He should be neutered. Also, since monorchidism is genetic, there is a high possibility he will produce that trait. If there were any male pups in this "accidental" litter, they should be neutered, too. You don't want to keep putting a life-threatening trait back into the gene pool.

Return to “Health Issues”