PLZ HELP!! House Training

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
PBlover4LIFE
Newborn Bully

PLZ HELP!! House Training

Postby PBlover4LIFE » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:28 pm

I just don't know what to do anymore. Cookie is 5 months old.

I have done the crate training. I bring her outside first thing in the morning, again before lunch (maybe even twice), then she's outside at least two-three hours through out the day. Including before going to the crate, after food and water, and play. She rarely uses the bathroom in her crate.

Here's my biggest problem. I can leave her outside on her leash for an hour or more. She will yelp to come in. Then cop a squat within 2 mins of coming inside. And mess all over the place.

I have a very clean house. I clean up every mess right away. I use odor eliminator and the whole bit.

I just can't figure it out. I have had many bullies and never a problem with house training.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

PLZ HELP!!!!!

OCD FREAK GOING CRAZY!!! :frown:

gemglo
Adolescent Bully

Postby gemglo » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:44 pm

When she does her business outside are you outside with her? I would go out with her treat(something extra good) and praise like crazy everytime she does business outside. I started out taking my dog out on leash to the same area each time.

You may need to tighten up your management. No free time inside out of the crate unless she has done her business outside, and no unsupervised time outside the crate in the house. Keep her where you can see her, so you can interupt by saying "outside" as soon as you see her trying to do business in the house. Say outside and then take her outside as fast as you can, treat and praise if she finishes outside.

Also you may need to shampoo the carpet to get any odors out from previous accidents.

Here's an excellent guide adapted from one of Ian Dunbar's books:
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/errorless-housetraining

I have had sucess using these methods with my pit, my beagle, and all my foster dogs including adults. I hope that helps!

PBlover4LIFE
Newborn Bully

Postby PBlover4LIFE » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:56 pm

Yes it does. She is really a work of art. I can't wait till she has matured. lol

gemglo
Adolescent Bully

Postby gemglo » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:11 pm

She'll get there eventually! When my dogs are driving me insane (like 5 minutes ago when the beagle got sick on my bedroom carpet lol) I always try to think ONLY of the positive things my dogs bring to me, but man oh man it is hard to do sometimes.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Many times dogs don't like going on a leash or tie out.
How long is the tie out?
Leash her to you IN the house as well as outside.
Crate her inside if she doesn't potty while you're out with her.
Take her back out and stay w/her until you SEE her go potty.
Don't let her have free run of the house, if not leashed to you she's either crated or TETHERED to something stationary in the house.

eashanna
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby eashanna » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:03 pm

when i was potty training, we had a designated potty spot. i would take them out, and as soon as they went, i would praise them and bring them back inside. that way, they associated that spot with having to potty.

now when i take them to potty, when theyre done, they just sit by the door.

MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:59 am

i totally feel you. im at my wits ends and a ruined carpet. *sigh* i have listened to everything everyone has told me and he still continues to make mistakes. he gives no warning what so ever and leaves a huge trail even if he is leashed to me. i am very fed up, yesterday i cried and swore i was giving him away and had my husband call a no kill shelter. but than i had a change of heart.. something has got to change! since ive had him my whole life has evolved around taking him to the bathroom every 20-30 minutes.

does nuetering help? i dont believe he is marking because he just goes as he walks. im planning on doing it anyway, but was hoping that may help him control his bladder or something. ughhhhh i dont know. but i really am starting to get discouraged. i know you all way so i have to do this and do that, but i have taken all the advice and been on a very strict schedule. he does so well on all other aspects of training except for this. ughh!

MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:02 pm

the last thing im going to try is the bell to the door since he does so well with tricks and training. maybe that will encourage to give me a signal i hope :crybaby:

my4pits
Newborn Bully

Postby my4pits » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:07 pm

Ace and Sadie were difficult to housetrain because they were litter mates and we got them at the same time so they weren't really interested in pleasing us as long as they had each other.

This is what we did.

They were crate trained from the start and I knew that they wouldn't go in their crates if they were taken out. We would get up and take them out immediately. As soon as they would potty they could come in and play. After about 20 mins of playing we would put them back into their crates. After about 15 mins in the crates we would take them back outside. We would repeat this and gradually the time out would get longer as long as they didn't have an accident. If they had an accident we would start all over again. Pretty soon they realized that the key to freedom was not going potty in the house and the down time in the crate before going out made them hold it a little longer without the distraction of playing to make them forget to hold it. When they were taken out they were always leashed and praised immediately so they couldn't play outside when it was potty time. Potty time was all business so we wouldn't spend all day out there. Ace learned quicker than Sadie because he is a more submissive personality but they both learned that inside pottying was not acceptable.

mpetva2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mpetva2 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:35 pm

MemphisBrindle wrote: i dont believe he is marking because he just goes as he walks.

Could it be that your pup has
a) a bladder/urinary infection?
b)bladder stones? (our girl had them totally out of the blue and was peeing and/or dribbled as she walked)

Being that he is a boy, have you tried belly bands? I have heard people having success with that. Just make sure that you keep it dry.

You can look them up on Google.

Hope this helps,
Karen

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:27 am

mpetva2 wrote:
MemphisBrindle wrote: i dont believe he is marking because he just goes as he walks.

Could it be that your pup has
a) a bladder/urinary infection?
b)bladder stones? (our girl had them totally out of the blue and was peeing and/or dribbled as she walked)

Being that he is a boy, have you tried belly bands? I have heard people having success with that. Just make sure that you keep it dry.

You can look them up on Google.

Hope this helps,
Karen
Yeah, I'd say a visit to the vet is in order. It sounds like something beyond normal housetraining woes, and possibly medical in nature.

xaverysxmamax

Postby xaverysxmamax » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:14 pm

msvette2u wrote:Many times dogs don't like going on a leash or tie out.
How long is the tie out?
Don't let her have free run of the house, if not leashed to you she's either crated or TETHERED to something stationary in the house.

:goodpost:

Hammer 4
Newborn Bully

Postby Hammer 4 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:23 pm

eashanna wrote:when i was potty training, we had a designated potty spot. i would take them out, and as soon as they went, i would praise them and bring them back inside. that way, they associated that spot with having to potty.

This is what we did, although we still have a couple traning pads just in case. Took us about a month to get Chance housebroken, so now he does a low pitched bark when he has to go.. :thumbsup:

Also if possible take your pup out often, as in soon after drinking and an hr or so after eating, or whatever time span is nessearry.

PBlover4LIFE
Newborn Bully

Postby PBlover4LIFE » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:14 pm

xaverysxmamax wrote:
msvette2u wrote:Many times dogs don't like going on a leash or tie out.
How long is the tie out?

:goodpost:

Thanks! I will try harder! ;)

Return to “Training and Behavior”