My Cookie is "bursting" with character....

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
PBlover4LIFE
Newborn Bully

My Cookie is "bursting" with character....

Postby PBlover4LIFE » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:11 pm

I love Cookie. She is 5 mos old now. She has quickly learned the basics. Sit, Stay, Lay down.She plays fetch like a champ. She understands to be very gentle with my 2 yr old daughter. I think she shows great signs of being a great companion.
But there is one thing that she does that I am questioning. Any time I scold her, she will "bite" at the air. She doesn't lunge and growl or anything like that. But she does seem to be back talking me.
I am concerned b/c my dad thinks that it is a sign that she is aggressive. Now keep in mind he hasn't actually seen the behavior for himself. Just what I have described.
Another thing that has bothered me is when I try to lay her on her back for a stern scolding, she will growl and try to bite. Not hard, but nonetheless, it is to me questionable behavior.
I haven't encountered her personality in any other dog, or pit for that matter. I was just hoping for some input. Good or bad.

Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Wesam » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:40 am

I don't see any aggressive issues here. Seems to me like this dog does not know her rules and limitations.

Applying NILIF would be key to your relationship with her. Nothing In Life Is Free has helped my dog realise that whatever I say or want goes.

Read the article. It's a sticky on the top of the Training and Behavior forum.

PBlover4LIFE
Newborn Bully

Postby PBlover4LIFE » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:55 pm

Thanks!

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:52 pm

Another thing that has bothered me is when I try to lay her on her back for a stern scolding, she will growl and try to bite. Not hard, but nonetheless, it is to me questionable behavior.

Don't do this! It's absolutely the wrong thing to do for dogs. In the wild, wolves would never do this, unless they were about to kill another dog (so it's no wonder your dog freaks out). The Monks of Skete invented it twenty years ago, and even they now say it was a terrible idea. All you will do is FREAK your dog out. Stop it, please please please.

Return to “Training and Behavior”