Can't find the perfect diet???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

What type of food do you feed your dogs???

Timberwolf Organics
17%
California Natural
4%
Canidae
29%
Flint River
3%
Innova
14%
Innovative Veterinary Diets Duck and Potato
1%
Natural Balance
17%
PetGuard LifeSpan
1%
Pinnacle
1%
Wellness Super5Mix Hormone-Free Lamb
13%

Total votes : 425

Postby mtlu » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:33 am

Felonysmom wrote:I started Felony on Nature's Variety last saturday (yep I've mixed it with her old food instead of a sudden switch) and since that time she has been vomiting. She's vomited about 5 times since the switch, about 2/3 days ago, I fed her boiled chicken and rice for a day or 2 to settle her stomach and had no more vomiting for the 2 days she ate boiled chicken and rice. Today I went back to the new food mix, and she vomited about an hour after eating it.

I'll offer a guess but I'm not expert. It may be the increase in protein that is upsetting your dog's stomach. The old food (Nature's Recipe) is 20% crude protein and the new food (NV Instinct) is 35%. That's a pretty big jump and the NV Instinct is grain-free so maybe it's tweaking her digestion. You may want to stretch out the transition over two weeks to ease her into it.

Also factor in that a higher protein dog food is good for dogs that get a lot of exercise. As an example, I'm feeding my dog Canidae All Life Stages (24% crude protein) and have decided to try Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream because it is grain-free and because it is also 24% crude protein. The other formulations of TOTW look really great to me but they are 32% and I don't have plans to up my dog's exercise regimen yet. I would love to try Orijen but the crude protein is up in the 40+ % and I'm pretty sure I'm not working my dog hard enough to need that much protein.

Good luck!
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Felonysmom » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:08 pm

Thanks for the advice Mtlu! I didn't consider the protein difference when I bought the food, so that may very well be the problem. I bought a bag of TOTW yesterday and this variety has something like 24% protein so maybe it will be easier on her stomach.
Felonysmom
Matured Bully

Postby mtlu » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:47 pm

Felonysmom wrote:Thanks for the advice Mtlu! I didn't consider the protein difference when I bought the food, so that may very well be the problem. I bought a bag of TOTW yesterday and this variety has something like 24% protein so maybe it will be easier on her stomach.

I think we got the same one! Molly really likes it but it is making her gas stinkier than before. I hope it works well for your girl! :)
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

BARF BAD?????

Postby BruDog » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:31 pm

i was told that if i feed my pit a BARF diet it will make him vicious and wanting the taste of blood is there any truth to this????
BruDog
Newborn Bully

Re: BARF BAD?????

Postby Monsta » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:09 pm

BruDog wrote:i was told that if i feed my pit a BARF diet it will make him vicious and wanting the taste of blood is there any truth to this????

Not true.
Monsta
Newborn Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:31 am

my puppy has had the runs, upset tumy ever since i switched to iams he also barely evr wants to eat it these days and we've been on it for a couple weeks.. so lately ive been adding chicken stock or when i make my baby homemade baby food with veggies and meat i mix it in there..

poor puppy i bought the iams cause corn wasnt the first ingredient...but a couple nights his stomach was so bad we couldnt crate him and he layed next to us on the floor by our bed and his belly kept us up the whole night!

but im gonna go to petsmart in a few and get some nutro
MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby tigger » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:10 pm

If the Nutro does not work (it didn't for my Boston) give Natural Balance a try. They have limited ingredient foods that dogs do well on. And all of their foods are considered allergy free foods. It's available at Petco and I should think that Petsmart carries it also.
tigger
Newborn Bully

Postby molucass » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:25 pm

I usually feed Alize' solid gold.. But recently my mom went and bought dog food for me, because I was unable to go.. I was at work, and she tried calling me but I couldn't answer my phone. She couldn't remember what kind I asked her to buy.

We have just a little bit of Solid Gold left. She bought Nutro Max Large Breed Puppy because the person at the store said it was comparible to Solid Gold, but cheaper and would be ok to get... I haven't opened it yet.. I already called the pet store and asked them if they would take it back and they said NO.. I hate to feed it to her, because I know it isn't the best, what should I do?

Would it hurt to give it to her now until it runs out and we can get another bag of Solid Gold?
molucass
Forum Junky

Postby Gypsy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:32 pm

molucass wrote:I usually feed Alize' solid gold.. But recently my mom went and bought dog food for me, because I was unable to go.. I was at work, and she tried calling me but I couldn't answer my phone. She couldn't remember what kind I asked her to buy.

We have just a little bit of Solid Gold left. She bought Nutro Max Large Breed Puppy because the person at the store said it was comparible to Solid Gold, but cheaper and would be ok to get... I haven't opened it yet.. I already called the pet store and asked them if they would take it back and they said NO.. I hate to feed it to her, because I know it isn't the best, what should I do?

Would it hurt to give it to her now until it runs out and we can get another bag of Solid Gold?
I just bought the solid gold beef today, 33lbs, at $55.98 :po:
I love your dog anyway and came to this thread to see about it and see you feed it......how long have you been feeding it and which one do you use??, they only had the beef avail today and I NEEDED food today.
What do you notice in your dog as opposed to other brands? Im switching from Wellness to this.
Gypsy
Bully Ambassador

Postby xaverysxmamax » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:30 pm

Off the list I marked Canidae.

But I believe the best diet is raw. :dunno:

Dezaree
xaverysxmamax

Postby jocy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:32 pm

bassol808 wrote:
Deniselynn wrote:Yes it is. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located?

in the middle of the pacific ocean...on the island of kauai

I visited Kauai when I visited Hawaii. I love love love love love love it there. 8)
jocy
Newborn Bully

Postby jocy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:44 pm

Lmporter03 wrote:http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

great chemical analysis of most dog foods.

This website is awesome! Thanks so much.
jocy
Newborn Bully

Postby JokerGirl » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:12 pm

Just switched Sugar from the Science Diet Puppy that the shelter had been feeding her over to Kirkland Lamb & Rice. We've had a couple bouts of the runs, but she seems to be stabilizing now.

Still not quite sure why they had her on puppy food.
JokerGirl
Newborn Bully

Re: Can't find the perfect diet???

Postby Shylee » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:50 am

I feed neither, of the list. We feed them tripe, raw liver and a working dog food.

:}
Shylee
Newborn Bully

Re: Can't find the perfect diet???

Postby 2Lehners » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:01 pm

Ok, I have our Dxion on Fromm-Duck and Sweet Potato. He's been on it now for about 4 months and it seems the only food that doesnt gine him lose poo. He also gets 3 spoon fulls of yogurt and some fraxseed with it. His coat looks great also. Has anybody else tried this food? I didn't see any posts about it or maybe I missed it.
2Lehners
Newborn Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues